Has a VN ever made you depressed?

Rabbit

Kara no Shoujo - When

Yosomiya Tsuzuriko dies

that was probably the only time I stopped on a first playthrough of a visual novel to look up a walkthrough to see if that event could be avoided. When I learned it couldn't I was a bit distrought and was unable to play the vn for the rest of the day. Seriously who just axes off the comedy relief like that in a depressing murder mystery?

I felt the same when playing Kara no Shoujo and I almost couldnt complete after that event. RIP my heart :(

As the topic title implies, have you ever felt depressed or extremly sad by a VN? It could be for different reasons, the bad endings got to you, or the good endings made you remember something/made you feel lonely etc.

The only one I remember feeling really depressed about ever, was after I finished playing Kara no Shoujo.  It often had a way of making you feel helpless.  Kinda felt like, sometimes things just happen and you have no control over it.

*Game Spoilers*

My favorite character was Touko, and I started to really get attached and cared for her. I was always still hopeful until the very end.. and then I was just shocked & pained that I wasn't able to find/save her.

I don't think I've ever played a game where the heroine's True End just ended up tragically like that. There were always somewhat happy endings to the ones I've played before, so Kara no Shoujo's True End hit me pretty hard. I wanted so badly for her to be recovered safely, but... -sigh- so saaad.

Because it made me depressed, I questioned whether or not I should play the sequel and Cartagra  :amane:, but I probably will anyways sometime in the future.

Because it made me depressed, I questioned whether or not I should play the sequel and Cartagra  :amane:, but I probably will anyways sometime in the future.

Cartagra is cetainly worth playing if you liked Shugo and Kazuna in Kara no Shoujo, but it is definitely not shy about killing its' characters either. 

Yes, katawa shoujo and narcissu, with katawa shoujo (lilly's route) it took me almost a month to recover (I was really really depressed) and I couldn't play it again for months not even listen to the music! And narcissu almost a week because I read it after katawa shoujo and the same thing happened.

Now they don't affect me anymore, I was a bit sad after playing muv luv alternative but it didn't last more than a few days and it was just sadness and nothing more (and prob because that ending sucked so much :P )

Drepressed ? Nah, extremely angry yes (often because of a dumb MC), but not anything else. I mean, I could have been depressed from Amane's route from Grisaia no Kajitsu, or Kazoku no Keikaku (this one almost got me though), but the stupid things that the characters do and how they react prevent me to.

Amane's backstory. It was too long and depressing either I had to stop for a while or I read it as fast as possible.

Entirety of Kara no Shoujo.

Especially Tojiko's death and the Kazuna accident

I was so glad after I finished it because the suffering has finally ended.

Makina´s bad end in Grisaia. That one hit me really hard

Just how f***** up was that? She had to see Yuuji die like she did with her real father, has his corpse in a trash sack inside her backery while talking to it casually, became an assassin like him and if it wasn´t already bad enough she is also pregnant.

and it got even worse because after I read the bad end I didn´t have the time to continue and see the good one so I had to put up with this horrible mood for an entire day.

I was never depressed except for one time when I saw ruka's alternative ending in steins;gate. But I recovered quickly if I do say so myself. Ofc many endings in the vn I read hit me hard but nothing did to the point where I would br actually depressed for days. But then again I haven't read really tragic vns

Utsuge are meant to depress you.  Konata yori Kanata Made is cleansing by nature, but it still depresses you.  Houkago no Futekikakusha has so much despair to it that you could almost lick it off like whipped cream.

Utsuge are meant to depress you.  Konata yori Kanata Made is cleansing by nature, but it still depresses you.  Houkago no Futekikakusha has so much despair to it that you could almost lick it off like whipped cream.

You know, for Futekikakasha I loved the characters' friendship with each other so much that it filled me up with happiness/admiration/adoration. Because the threat they faced wasn't developed, it didn't sink in as real just felt like a part of the plot to me. But it did surprise me near the end that made me dismay.

Konakana didn't really hit me emotionally, though it was interesting enough to experience the utsuge (it's kinda different).

Muramasa didn't strike home, but it still was depressing in parts. More noteworthy where the couple times were I found myself swallowing bile in horror/disgust.

As my first VN, Saya no Uta had me depressed for 2 weeks. Can say I wasn't ready for it and didn't even realize what was happening for a while. Just felt empty and like a veil of heavy gloom was always weighing down above my eyes.

Gin'iro still comes off as the best depressing work I have played: specifically the first story and it's special "pair" story you see near the end of the novel. The premise sets it up to utsuge-like at a high level already, and then the actual story is the right length (shortish), memorable in it's text, and has a number of lasting-impression scenes which convey the emotions well. ...And then the pair story. If the first was the tragic mournful moon, the god, this is a glimpse of its dark side.

There's also Gore Screaming Show, which has pretty damn heavy routes in ADDITION to a gloomy common route. I almost felt like crying in Kiika's route, I couldn't take it. Some of the depressingness comes from VN's down to earthness: the characters and the description both reference real life more than most stories).

I'm not usually a very happy person

When i play vn's i always use a guide to get the good endings, when i finished the main story in g snjo no maou and when i finished amane's route in grisaia i had those things on my mind and weighing heavy on my soul for god dam days at a time

that's why i tend to like stuff more lighthearted like princes evangelie <i only did the ritsuko route tho> and majikoi <only did two routes>

to answer you're question simply, yes, and i think, even tho i may not be the ideal person to talk about this, it is natural to feel like that

sure you can make the argument fictional characters... bla bla... not real.... bla bla... but a  good story is a good story no matter it being a good book, a good movie, or a good vn filled with pervy h scenes

if it wasn't meant to stick with you and get a reaction out of you, then why are so many people playing and talking about vn's? aside from really bad awkward, wierd boner inducing h scenes 

Depressed? Never. Sad? Always. The last one was when I finished entire Cannonball and grew so genuinely fond of the main duo, I couldn't sleep for the next few nights, knowing it's all over and I won't see, nor hear them anymore. I also felt a sting in my heart when I finished Everlasting Summer. YMMY in it's case, but I'm sure it's a story a lot of people from the ex-Warsaw Pact countries - as much as some of us both loved and hated those times, to the utmost extent - will enjoy.

If you finished something and felt completely nothing, it's a bad sign. It usually means the writer failed to convey his or her feelings through their writing. Reading is like a dialogue with the writer, the only exception him not being around, but leaving a pre-recorded message beforehand; we usually don't talk to people who have nothing to say.