8/13 Forums Update - Bugs/Complaints Here

Test this stuff and tell me how bad I broke things
===========================

• Avatars. Shape and size okay on your theme?
  • Resizing windows on your favorite theme
  • Sidebars look okay?
  • Fixed Google+ for Fiddle
  • Deleted Rooke's theme with extreme prejudice
  • If you use the dark-dark theme (Infinite Stomach v7) how badly do you hate the animated header? And how much do you hate its height? Would you prefer it be skinnier and static?

New Features I Care About Enough to Mention

• Admin CP notifications
  • Email fixes
  • SEO improvements
  • Lazy loading of images to speed up page rendering
  • More email preferences options
  • Clubs are now fixed. Are we even using clubs? I meant to, but I don't think it ever too off.

Possible Features I don't plan on activating

Things I need to Activate But Might Forget

• Giphy key > com enhance in acp (but only if you guys want giphy)
  • New SEO features

Bugs Fixed

• Lots
  • And Lots

Note to anyone with access to ACP: haven't purged the old themes, yet, because I want to check some CSS stuff. But don't re-activate them or enable their use, it'll break stuff.

3 hours ago, Emi said:

bug that most likely is my fault :wahaha:

the "hitbox" for my discord button now sticks over the devfeed. so when you press devfeed you get redirected to discord. 

Not sure if this is the best place to ask it, but since you brought up the dev boards, I've been having a question about it for a while. The Dev Board Blog Updates page says "A group blog by Dev Boards Project Leaders" as well as "Come hear what's new with our awesome devs!" To me this at least implies that anyone that is part of this community and is a developer has a right to post about their projects there. In the coming weeks there is a project I would like to add and promote there, but there is no clear way for me to add my own post there. Is this a bug, or am I suppose to request permission in another way? And if the latter it would be helpful if it was made more clear that you had to request permission or fill out an application or something to post there. Because currently it appears to be open for anyone to post in, but there is no actual method for those who don't already have "Contributors to this blog" status to post there.

Edit: I think the problem I noted is also part of the reason why it seems to be a currently dead part of the forums. Since the last post there was nearly a year ago

31 minutes ago, Emi said:

No worries, thats what the developer role is for wich is pinned in both translation and vn projects section. 

Thank you for the explanation! It makes a lot more sense now. I'm not quite ready to officially go public with anything yet, but it's good to know what I have to do once I am ready. 

I gotta say, when the last update happened (at beginning of the year i think?) this site would eat up my google chrome memory and make the site laggy for some reason, specially in blog posts with lots of pictures. I was too lazy to report it and just began to post less instead, but it seems the site became smooth again. Good job!

12 hours ago, Dergonu said:

If the backer status is no longer a thing, maybe we could make this a post count goal, similar to custom titles. Incentivize people to post more to get the cool stuff. 

(Regarding profile customization previously locked behind backer status) I imagine this will roll out to everybody soon. Backer contributions were very helpful for a while, but the donation system is largely gone right now (save those who are still willing to contribute on PayPal) and I know people want those sweet, sweet profile customization options.

11 hours ago, onorub said:

I gotta say, when the last update happened (at beginning of the year i think?) this site would eat up my google chrome memory and make the site laggy for some reason, specially in blog posts with lots of pictures. I was too lazy to report it and just began to post less instead, but it seems the site became smooth again. Good job!

Glad to hear it! Any performance issues anyone has, at all, please report!

(And report it here, not in Discord, as it's easier for an old guy like me to track)

11 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

If I remember correctly, I believe the previous version used to show what the title of the next unread topic was. Is there any way to return that?

May be a caching issue, or may be intentional from Invision. We'll know in twelve hours or so if it's a cron job that hasn't completed or if it's built into IPB. If I haven't written back about this, specifically, tomorrow, re-post and bug me about it until I do.

On 8/14/2020 at 3:44 AM, Tay said:

If you use the dark-dark theme (Infinite Stomach v7) how badly do you hate the animated header? And how much do you hate its height? Would you prefer it be skinnier and static?

I prefer the dark theme since its not painful in the eyes whenever I browse the forums at night... This new white theme is making my eyes go teary and a bit painful sometimes....

Why try to fix something that isn't broke in the first place?

2 hours ago, Templarseeker said:

I prefer the dark theme since its not painful in the eyes whenever I browse the forums at night... This new white theme is making my eyes go teary and a bit painful sometimes....

Why try to fix something that isn't broke in the first place?

The dark theme remains available within the themes in the bottom left.

On 8/14/2020 at 8:02 AM, Dreamysyu said:

If I remember correctly, I believe the previous version used to show what the title of the next unread topic was. Is there any way to return that?

23 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

This is my most used feature, so I'm @ing @Tay.

Invision killed the feature. Link: https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/451296-next-unread-topic/?do=findComment&comment=2788500

I messaged them to see if there was a way for us to restore the functionality.

So apparently I can't see the view of my blogpost from the blog main page along with the 'Read more' function, okay then. That said, I like on how I can see the full picture of the blog header so I like it. Other than blog thing, I didn't have any other comment in regard of the updates so it's nice to see after there's no update for several months.

For those keeping score, I am still slowly going through the front site updates. Should be done within a few days. Eventually I'll be done with it and we can move on to more important things like community direction.

Still here. Just cranky about the front site.

4 hours ago, Tay said:

For those keeping score, I am still slowly going through the front site updates. Should be done within a few days. Eventually I'll be done with it and we can move on to more important things like community direction.

Still here. Just cranky about the front site.

🙏