Jump to content

What Anime are you watching now?


Recommended Posts

Was looking for something good to rewatch with my wife and spotted Kotoura-san and we watched that through. What a great fun show that was. Had a nice balance of (resolving) drama, comedy, light ecchi, and romance. Loved it. It had been so long since I watched it that I'd virtually forgotten what happened. I need to find more gems from the past that I haven't seen in ages instead of watching the vast quantities of new crap that keeps coming out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watched both seasons of "I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying" today.  

Shirobako is one of the most awesome products to come out of the anime industry in the last 5 years. I highly, HIGHLY recommend :3

Last week, had my occasional anime marathon with my friend. We watched three shows, two of which were new for me. First show was Made in Abyss. At first I thought it was going to be full of furry

Holy fucking shit, Akane Maniax is an OVA series that is actually for Muv Luv fans like me, I was so hyped to see the characters in anime, the ending was lololol Meiya!! But unfortunately has spoilers of Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, haven't watched the anime yet but shit happens, maybe I'll watch Eien soon because it's on my list to watch. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently watching Vinland Saga (anime of the year btw) and getting back into Hero Academia S3. (great shounen despite being a little childish)

Lastly I finished Poco Udon World. It was silly but such a cute anime about tanuki boy. As much as it differs from my usual tastes, it had many good aspects besides comedy involving kid and a guy in his twenties. It was also presenting nice slice of life to reflect upon, and I say that being 25 years old guy myself looking at what I could get by taking different roads, just like the main hero of this anime. Thank God I don't have kid on my head. It was hearthwarming and packed with some feels. Well done anime.

Edited by Saosin
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess, this month I'm watching more anime than I usually do in a year. :sachi:

  Kaguya-sama: Love is War. You know, this show is amazing! Absolutely loved the comedy, and it's exactly the type of romantic comedy that I enjoy the most. The only major drawback is the lack of a satisfying ending, so, I guess, it's time to wait for season 2. I may read the manga, but I don't really enjoy manga as much as VNs, LNs or anime, so I'd rather wait for season 2 for now.

If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord. Well, it was better than I expected. Definitely a cute and also surprisingly touching story. Again, the only real flaw is the lack of real ending, and, moreover, this show overall feels just like an extended prologue. I probably will read the LN at some point.

Phantom in the Twilight. Just randomly stumbled upon this show on Crunchyroll, and, you know, this one is a good example that I have bad taste. :vanilla: Both the story and the worldbuilding were a complete trainwreck, but, somehow, I still liked this show in the end and enjoyed it immensely. Though, admittedly, I laughed at how cliche and chuuni some scenes were. At the same time, the production values are pretty good, the voice actors are very recognizable, and the protagonist is pretty entertaining to watch too. Also, I quite liked this ending song.

Edited by Dreamysyu
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/10/2019 at 9:21 PM, Dreamysyu said:

I guess, this month I'm watching more anime than I usually do in a year. :sachi:

  Kaguya-sama: Love is War. You know, this show is amazing! Absolutely loved the comedy, and it's exactly the type of romantic comedy that I enjoy the most. The only major drawback is the lack of a satisfying ending, so, I guess, it's time to wait for season 2. I may read the manga, but I don't really enjoy manga as much as VNs, LNs or anime, so I'd rather wait for season 2 for now.

If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord. Well, it was better than I expected. Definitely a cute and also surprisingly touching story. Again, the only real flaw is the lack of real ending, and, moreover, this show overall feels just like an extended prologue. I probably will read the LN at some point.

Phantom in the Twilight. Just randomly stumbled upon this show on Crunchyroll, and, you know, this one is a good example that I have bad taste. :vanilla: Both the story and the worldbuilding were a complete trainwreck, but, somehow, I still liked this show in the end and enjoyed it immensely. Though, admittedly, I laughed at how cliche and chuuni some scenes were. At the same time, the production values are pretty good, the voice actors are very recognizable, and the protagonist is pretty entertaining to watch too. Also, I quite liked this ending song.

A good moment for Kaguya-sama, as it just got its season 2 announced.

Trust me, not getting an ending for If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord might be for the best...

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

A good moment for Kaguya-sama, as it just got its season 2 announced.

Yeah, exactly. I guess, I don't have to read the manga in the end. ^_^

6 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

Trust me, not getting an ending for If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord might be for the best...

Well, I've seen some comments that apparently it goes in a pretty weird direction later on. And I have a slight suspicion of what this direction could be. But, I don't know, this story does seem to have potential, and I've seen a lot of other weird stuff already, so I'm still going to try reading it at some point. Probably.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jun Inoue said:

The manga Mr Heresyoon mentioned is infamous for an unexpected twist and controversial ending, which If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord ended up doing, too.

It's a nice way of saying that both started as heartwarming stories of a bond between an orphaned/abandoned child and a foster parent and ended as creepy semi-incestous romances? :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

It's a nice way of saying that both started as heartwarming stories of a bond between an orphaned/abandoned child and a foster parent and ended as creepy semi-incestous romances? :P

Spoiler

Very much so.

Funny enough, people try to defend the second work by claiming that the little child never sees the protagonist as her father figure, despite that being kind of literally the point of the show.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:
  Hide contents

Very much so.

Funny enough, people try to defend the second work by claiming that the little child never sees the protagonist as her father figure, despite that being kind of literally the point of the show.

 

Spoiler

Well, people like their creepy romance and I can't say I'm always 100% innocent in this regard (although not really with child/parent plots, there's pretty much no possibility for those to not be fundamentally messed up). But the anime adaptations have a pretty easy job of just taking the good parts of the source material and stopping before the weird stuff truly kicks in. If Usagi Drop managed to do that, maybe UchiMusume also can restrain itself well-enough. :>

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:
  Hide contents

Well, people like their creepy romance and I can't say I'm always 100% innocent in this regard (although not really with child/parent plots, there's pretty much no possibility for those to not be fundamentally messed up). But the anime adaptations have a pretty easy job of just taking the good parts of the source material and stopping before the weird stuff truly kicks in. If Usagi Drop managed to do that, maybe UchiMusume also can restrain itself well-enough. :>

 

Spoiler

Well, I'd say I tend to be 100% fine with it... as long as it's 'porn'. People can get off to whatever they want.

But I personally dislike it when it happens in a narrative work. Like, in these examples, this development completely messes up and ruins their story as a family by recontextualizing the entire work from familial love to 'raising your own waifu'. In Usagi Drop it was especially weird because both father and daughter had very clear 'romantic' interests that the story was pushing (a widow - or was it a divorcee- and her son), then it does some crazy time skip and the daughter is getting ready to marry her own father. The author ruined his own story for a fetish.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I went on and concluded Machikado Mazoku. I recall watching the first episode and thinking... not terribly much of it. It was good, but didn't really push me to continue watching. That's why I stopped a few months ago when I watched the first episode. That said, now that I restarted it the other day, I quickly finished the whole thing! It turned out to be so good!

Spoiler

It's wonderfully heart-warming to see our weak protagonist grow stronger and becoming healthier. Getting along more with people, and slowly becoming good friends with her 'enemy'. At the same time, the enemy in question, which never showed herself to be particularly antagonistic, also came to have some of her many heavy burdens relieved by the protagonist.

This kind of stuff is just so good! I really like happy shows about people growing closer and healing and becoming better that don't focus on the bad things in their past or present, but on surpassing them. I feel like there's a whole genre just for me that I've somehow managed to generally miss.

That said, this is a comedy and I really like comedies, so...

Over the course of the series, a narrator is her continuously going "Do your best, [Name]/[Nickname] at the protagonist.", which serves as a generally funny commentary to end segments with. However, with one of the final reveals of the series, a possibility arises... This narrator may be her father, which she hasn't seen since childhood!

The best thing about this series, besides generally funny moments, is how heart-warming it is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Poltroon said:

So I went on and concluded Machikado Mazoku. I recall watching the first episode and thinking... not terribly much of it. It was good, but didn't really push me to continue watching. That's why I stopped a few months ago when I watched the first episode. That said, now that I restarted it the other day, I quickly finished the whole thing! It turned out to be so good!

  Reveal hidden contents

It's wonderfully heart-warming to see our weak protagonist grow stronger and becoming healthier. Getting along more with people, and slowly becoming good friends with her 'enemy'. At the same time, the enemy in question, which never showed herself to be particularly antagonistic, also came to have some of her many heavy burdens relieved by the protagonist.

This kind of stuff is just so good! I really like happy shows about people growing closer and healing and becoming better that don't focus on the bad things in their past or present, but on surpassing them. I feel like there's a whole genre just for me that I've somehow managed to generally miss.

That said, this is a comedy and I really like comedies, so...

Over the course of the series, a narrator is her continuously going "Do your best, [Name]/[Nickname]!" at the protagonist., which serves as a generally funny commentary to end segments with. However, with one of the final reveals of the series, a possibility arises... This narrator may be her father, which she hasn't seen since childhood!

The best thing about this series, besides generally funny moments, is how heart-warming it is.

Eh it was a yawnfest for the first few episodes and I gave up. Perhaps I should go back and give it a chance?

/me checks watchlist and sees 18 current shows.

Perhaps not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

Inspired by the minor vampire theme in Karakara I've decided to finally give a try to a trashy shounen series I had on my to-watch for ages, that is Strike the Blood. It was... Well, like any other harem show really. There were a few things that I definitely liked: the vampires were implemented with no emo BS. The protagonist is OP but flawed enough in his handling of his powers that he gets his ass handed to him on a regular basis, rarely being in actual danger, but having to work for his victories. Also, every time he does win it is very much a team effort, with nearly heroines contributing in meaningful ways. Also, the obvious main heroine is how a complete dumpster fire like it's often the case. The magic system also felt pretty clean at first and the arc-based story structure was kind of refreshing, always building towards something...

But then, around the half of the first season, all the typical problems of harem shows came in force. The harem expanded at an absurd pace with girls getting less and less development. The story started introducing arbitral powers and new forms of magic when in an overly-convenient fashion. The was no real character progression for either the protagonist of the main girl. After episode 19 I simply lost all interest and I'll probably stop there for good. 6/10

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, so I had to cancel a trip I've planned months ago and was extremely looking forward to because of the coronavirus mess, so I'm depressed as fuck and indulging in self-pity-driven anime binging. Looking for something slightly more to my taste than harem crap I've watched Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry and... Well, it more or less delivered on the romance, which is refreshing, and the fights were really intense, but the plot was so paper-thin... Very little beyond empty cartoon villains and forced drama. Plus the main girl was just a walking cliche. I really hoped it would capitalize more on the funny-sounding premise (the one with first duel and the loser becoming other person's slave) or do something a bit more fresh, but the structure of the story was very standard and the chemistry between the main couple pretty weak. Hate SAO as much as you want, but I never felt that I didn't believe Kirito and Asuna as a couple. Even the weird "family" part made sense in the confusing and desperate situation of being trapped in that VR hell. Here... Let's just say, I don't think I'll remember much of this show a few months from now. 7/10

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...