What Anime are you watching now?

Just completed Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2. The secret hidden in Eren's basement has finally been revealed, making it a huge turning point in the series. The fight scenes were also top notch as expected. Overall a very good watch but it's a pity that there are only 10 episodes. 

On another note, the final season of AoT will premiere next year. It will start from Volume 23 (Chapter 91) of the manga and adapt 2 very long arcs, so I'm really looking forward to it.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watched both seasons of "I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying" today.  

Finally got around to watching Konosuba, and I'm loving it. Have one episode left of season 1 now. Episode 9 is my favorite so far, lol. I need more of this! Two seasons with 10 episodes i

Haha, double post. lolZenophilious ---- My sister has been insisting that I watch Sword Art Online. As a direct consequence I've decided to watch Log Horizon. Now tell me I'm a wonderful h

Currently rewatching Neon Genesis Evangelion (Netflix changed the ending song, so I am kind of annoyed at that) and boy, watching this again after you get older gives a totally different perspective on Shinji's character (not only him. The entire cast has a lot of inner struggles that you can barely understand when you are young).

Almost on episode 20 and this series is amazing (much more than I remembered).

On 02/07/2019 at 10:26 AM, wei123 said:

Just completed Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2. The secret hidden in Eren's basement has finally been revealed, making it a huge turning point in the series. The fight scenes were also top notch as expected. Overall a very good watch but it's a pity that there are only 10 episodes. 

On another note, the final season of AoT will premiere next year. It will start from Volume 23 (Chapter 91) of the manga and adapt 2 very long arcs, so I'm really looking forward to it.

I also watched it and I heard the manga is also near completion. Do you have any idea how many chapters are left?

Edited by AstralSword
typos/quote
3 hours ago, AstralSword said:

I also watched it and I heard the manga is also near completion. Do you have any idea how many chapters are left?

It hasn't been revealed yet, but I personally think it should have 2 volumes left, so that would make it 8 chapters.

Edited by wei123

Watched the first 4 episodes of Falling of the Shield Loser. You know, for some reason, it doesn't feel like a very good adaptation of the original material. I read neither the original LN nor the manga, but it does feel a bit rushed.

Overall, didn't like this anime. Didn't really buy the character development, and there's nothing that impressed me so far. Plus, the whole storyline where "everyone hates the MC, and the story always likes to remind us of how unlucky he is, while he is actually a good guy inside", feels kind of cheesy and not very interesting to follow, at least for me personally. So, I guess, I have a strange masochistic desire to continue watching this to see if it gets any better, but, to be honest, I should probably drop it here.

8 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Watched the first 4 episodes of Falling of the Shield Loser. You know, for some reason, it doesn't feel like a very good adaptation of the original material. I read neither the original LN nor the manga, but it does feel a bit rushed.

Overall, didn't like this anime. Didn't really buy the character development, and there's nothing that impressed me so far. Plus, the whole storyline where "everyone hates the MC, and the story always likes to remind us of how unlucky he is, while he is actually a good guy inside", feels kind of cheesy and not very interesting to follow, at least for me personally. So, I guess, I have a strange masochistic desire to continue watching this to see if it gets any better, but, to be honest, I should probably drop it here.

Judging by your second paragraph, I'd say it is a fairly faithful adaptation.

The story, be it the original or any of its adaptations, IS fairly unimaginative, and the author gets stuck, not to say becomes obsessed, with the idea of the suffering martyr, to the point the MC gets a bit of development early on, and then absolutely nothing for practically forever. What I personally found funny is that, very early on, tons of people realise that he's not the scumbag they're told he is, and he gets tons of support and the undying loyalty of his slaves allies, but every single conflict is basically him going into a rage because "the world is unfair and everyone hates meeeeeeeeee". It's the kind of cheap drama that really gets the blood pumping when you're a teen.

To be fair, the original concept is pretty good. It's just that the author is incapable of doing anything that's not edgy af with the MC, or to have him grow past his first steps into "herohood". It probably doesn't help that the show tries its darnest to make the other heroes so uncharismatic and dumb, to the point that it's difficult to care about them both as potential enemies or allies.

On 12/7/2019 at 8:02 PM, Dreamysyu said:

I'll be a good person and save you some hours of your life. 

The first 4 episodes were the only decent part of the show. If you didn't enjoy even that, don't bother. It gets much, much worse.

Recently I finished School Rumble series (both seasons & OVAs). It was nice love comedy (with emphasis on comedy ;)) with great characters. There were some serious/more emotional moments well placed here and there as well, and many pariodes/references/easter eggs. Plot was almost nonexistent, and characters relationships haven't progressed too much, but it still was enjoyable ride.

Spoiler

As Akira mentioned at the end of the 2nd season - "Now resetting is complete" :P

Unfortunately ending was really unsatisfying :( Can't blame animators, as apparently manga ended in the same way - they only can be blamed for turning supposed 3rd season into 2-episode OVA (ep 25 and 26). If it was VN, that would be, maybe not bad end, but one of those "normal ends".

So now I demand School Rumble VN, where Kenji could end up with Eri or Yakumo ;)

On 6/19/2019 at 12:03 AM, ittaku said:

No, it is brutally hard to watch. If you could not watch fullmetal alchemist then I suggest you skip made in abyss. It's overall got a positive outlook but the crossroads along the way are disturbing on a grand scale. I cried by eyes out on it.

It was awesome :o so unexpected and sick. But not in a way that would make me feel sad or anything.

Finally worked my way through Koi Kaze - an incestuous love story which had some rave reviews many years ago. It's dated badly, and I don't even know why the siblings fell in love - the MC is a prick to his sister. I guess tackling an incest story head on is why it got rave reviews. VNs have dulled my senses to incest stories though so it just looks old and uninspiring now.

It's been a while since I watched so many anime back to back.

So, I watched Made in Abyss. The thing that stood out the most to me is that the soundtrack is absolutely amazing. While the number of songs doesn't seem to be very big, they are not only good by themselves but also fitting to the scenes where they are used.

Other than that, the show by itself is consistently good. It has great worldbuilding and interesting characters, and some scenes later in the show were actually pretty disturbing. It's definitely not as lighthearted as the art style may suggest. I didn't notice any real flaws that could drag the quality down other than that the show is unfinished (but it was expected since the mange is still on-going). Definitely recommended.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finished watching Happy Sugar Life and... I'm kind of puzzled how people can enjoy that. I mean, I read what people defending it claim, but I feel like they watched a completely different show. Calling it a psychological anime makes School Days looks like a PhD thesis in psychology. People call it a comedy, but I haven't seen a single trace of genuine humour or self-parody in it. It's not even outlandish or incompetent enough to be "so bad its good", it's just disgustingly stupid. Haven't seen something this alienating and obnoxious since Calamity of the Zombie Girl, which proudly sits as my only 1/10 on MAL. Happy Sugar Life had literally one somewhat believable character (Hida) who I was slightly disturbed to see murdered, thus it's a 2/10. Disgusting trash.

Oh, and I guess it was some visual and sound gimmicks that could be considered marginally interesting if they were used for a better cause. Not good enough to deserve credit with how pathetic the actual substance of it all is.

On 14/08/2019 at 8:40 AM, Plk_Lesiak said:

I finished watching Happy Sugar Life and... I'm kind of puzzled how people can enjoy that. I mean, I read what people defending it claim, but I feel like they watched a completely different show. Calling it a psychological anime makes School Days looks like a PhD thesis in psychology. People call it a comedy, but I haven't seen a single trace of genuine humour or self-parody in it. It's not even outlandish or incompetent enough to be "so bad its good", it's just disgustingly stupid. Haven't seen something this alienating and obnoxious since Calamity of the Zombie Girl, which proudly sits as my only 1/10 on MAL. Happy Sugar Life had literally one somewhat believable character (Hida) who I was slightly disturbed to see murdered, thus it's a 2/10. Disgusting trash.

Oh, and I guess it was some visual and sound gimmicks that could be considered marginally interesting if they were used for a better cause. Not good enough to deserve credit with how pathetic the actual substance of it all is.

Edgy trash always gets the attention of uh... attention deficit teenagers. Never fear, this crap will be soon forgotten and anyone who tries to watch it in the years to come will rate it appropriately, as you have.

• 2 weeks later...

I've started watching Takagi-san, as I want to catch up to the second season and finish the whole thing before the fall lineup kicks in. I really like that the show is not just about teasing but have genuine romantic undertones. I often have a bit of a problem when it goes to shows in which characters constantly get embarassed, but it's all clever and lighthearted enough here that so far I never got bothered by it. It also always offers some payoff hinting that Takagi teases the protagonist because she genuinely likes him back, not just to have a laugh at his expense. I just hope that the second season will end with a slightly stronger romantic note, but it's also fun and clever enough that I won't be horribly bothered if it doesn't - it's basic rountine is just that good, so if the writing doesn't go to shit, I'll enjoy it all the way through. 

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

I've started watching Takagi-san, as I want to catch up to the second season and finish the whole thing before the fall lineup kicks in. I really like that the show is not just about teasing but have genuine romantic undertones. I often have a bit of a problem when it goes to shows in which characters constantly get embarassed, but it's all clever and lighthearted enough here that so far I never got bothered by it. It also always offers some payoff hinting that Takagi teases the protagonist because she genuinely likes him back, not just to have a laugh at his expense. I just hope that the second season will end with a slightly stronger romantic note, but it's also fun and clever enough that I won't be horribly bothered if it doesn't - it's basic rountine is just that good, so if the writing doesn't go to shit, I'll enjoy it all the way through. 

Lucky you enjoy it. Whilst the romantic overtones were nice they were too few and I struggled with Takagi and just wanted to throttle the fucking bitch and gave up a few episodes into season 2.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 12:13 AM, ittaku said:

Lucky you enjoy it. Whilst the romantic overtones were nice they were too few and I struggled with Takagi and just wanted to throttle the fucking bitch and gave up a few episodes into season 2.

Hah, I wonder how I'll feel about season 2. I just finished Season 1 and the second half of it was quite adorable. It obviously goes overboard with how omnipotent Takagi is (I mean, she's basically less chaotic Joker with better success rate, considering her level of scheming and foresight) and she quite far at times, but... It never felt like it was too much, and I'm actually pretty sensitive when it goes to teasing and constant embarrassment in the things I watch. Last season's Hitoribocchi had that problem, as it kind of repeated the same embarrassing gags over and over again with very little growth from the characters. Here it was a lot more clever and interesting, and quite importantly, Nishikawa was always up for the challenge and the teasing was not only getting him frustrated, but also motivated him to step up his game.

I imagine the problem with Season 2 is that it'll start basically from page 1 and, once more, only get to the fluffy moments around episode 10. But I kind of don't mind? I mean, the payoff of the first season was quite decent. I'd only dislike it if it never made clear that Takagi really likes Nishikata back and didn't make her act on it in some way. If the second season goes just a bit further, it'll still be way less frustrating and inconclusive than 98% of harem anime. :P