Jump to content
NowItsAngeTime

[EDIT: Polls added!] Fureraba ~Friend To Lover~ released on Nutaku! (notable feature: Uncensored adult CGs)

Fureraba Favorites Poll  

20 members have voted

  1. 1. Which route do you like most?

    • Hiiragi Yuzuyu
      5
    • Mochizuki Rina
      11
    • Minahara Himari
      1
    • Secret Black Hair Girl
      3
  2. 2. Which heroine do you like most?

    • Hiiragi Yuzuyu
      5
    • Mochizuki Rina
      6
    • Minahara Himari
      1
    • Secret Black Hair Girl
      8


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, phantomJS said:

What I want to say: see the picture in the top post; that's not a typical jap conversation. Instead, it's what you will usualy find in countries like the US. The entire VN is localised like that, which I'm pretty sure is not faithful to the original jap text at all

Yes, it's not a typical Japanese conversation. Because it's in English...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Chuee said:

Yes, it's not a typical Japanese conversation. Because it's in English...

I know english is not japanese, tyvm -_-

What I meant is the they took the original jap text and translate it in such a way that only a typical, say, US family would say and not a Japanese

I'm guessing the original text is something like this:

Me: 母、私はテレビで切り替えることができますか?

Mom: どぞい

 

Instead of translating like they did, they could had went with something like this instead to be more faithful to the original dialogue:

Me: Mom, can I on the TV?

Mom: Go ahead

 

Translating like they did make me feel like the story took place in a western country instead of Japan, though I would say I dont mind it at all

Edited by phantomJS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2018 at 7:43 AM, Mr Poltroon said:

This kind of question is always tricky.

"Do you mind if I turn on the TV?"
"No."

Which means "Yes, you can turn on the TV".

The issue might be with 'care', which isn't often used like this. The meaning should be the same, more or less, though...

I actually rarely hear "care" used in this way. It should be "mind" if you want to be picky about it. The reply will usually be either "I don't mind" or "no". "Care" means something slightly different and I wouldn't use it in this context, but that's being incredibly picky about it. 

 

A quick search seems to indicate that using "care" in such a manner is a casual American thing. People should be aware though that to people unfamiliar to this sort of American slang that it comes off as harsh, abrupt, and possibly a bit rude:

"I don't mind" means "I have no objection".

"I don't care" means "the matter is of no concern to me."

In certain circumstances, replacing "I don't mind" with "I don't care" can be aggressive and rude.

Suppose a woman says to her husband John, Grandma is cold. Is it a problem if we turn up the heat?

If he replies I don't mind It would mean that he has no objection to the heat of the room being increased.

However, if he said I don't care, there are two possible meanings: 1)He is indifferent to what his wife does. She can do what she wants; he has no interest in it, and probably finds the question needlessly annoying, or 2) He is indifferent to the fact taht Grandma is uncomfortable. He would prefer that Grandma be cold than that he should be too warm, or spend extra money to heat the room further.

From GreenWhiteBlue on the wordreference forums - https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/i-dont-mind-vs-i-dont-care.1215956/ 

That explanation sounds about right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Darklord Rooke said:

However, if he said I don't care, there are two possible meanings: 1)He is indifferent to what his wife does. She can do what she wants; he has no interest in it, and probably finds the question needlessly annoying, or 2) He is indifferent to the fact taht Grandma is uncomfortable. He would prefer that Grandma be cold than that he should be too warm, or spend extra money to heat the room further.

You almost never hear it worded that way, though.  The first person usually asks, "Do you care if I do x?", and the second person responds with yes or no, usually with something like "go ahead" or "feel free" attached.  You don't respond with, "No, I don't care if you do x," which is indeed rather abrasive.

Here in Freedom Land (or at least my part of California), we basically use those two phrases interchangeably.  I wouldn't say it's weird to hear either one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, phantomJS said:

I know english is not japanese, tyvm -_-

What I meant is the they took the original jap text and translate it in such a way that only a typical, say, US family would say and not a Japanese

I'm guessing the original text is something like this:

Me: 母、私はテレビで切り替えることができますか?

Mom: どぞい

 

Instead of translating like they did, they could had went with something like this instead to be more faithful to the original dialogue:

Me: Mom, can I on the TV?

Mom: Go ahead

 

Translating like they did make me feel like the story took place in a western country instead of Japan, though I would say I dont mind it at all

Well, for starters, that sentence doesn't even make sense because it reads "Mother, am I able to turn on the television?" 

Second, it's douzo not dozoi..

And third, that's a very formal way to say that. A lot of people aren't going to speak to their parents like that. 

Here's what the actual lines were in Japanese

テレビ付けていい?
どうぞ
 

Also for this

"What I meant is the they took the original jap text and translate it in such a way that only a typical, say, US family would say and not a Japanese"

Japanese families speak Japanese not English, so there is no 'way' that they would say English. 

Edited by Chuee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Chuee said:

Well, for starters, that sentence doesn't even make sense because it reads "Mother, am I able to turn on the television?" 

Second, it's douzo not dozoi..

And third, that's a very formal way to say that. A lot of people aren't going to speak to their parents like that. 

Here's what the actual lines were in Japanese

テレビ付けていい?
どうぞ

Also for this

"What I meant is the they took the original jap text and translate it in such a way that only a typical, say, US family would say and not a Japanese"

Japanese families speak Japanese not English, so there is no 'way' that they would say English. 

1) I just started learning Japanese a month ago. Never claimed I'm an expert

2) I didn't know what the original lines were (and don't really care) and I already mentioned so in my earlier post

3) "Japanese families speak Japanese not English, so there is no 'way' that they would say English"

I don't know what your point is. I never said Japanese families should speak English or anything like that. My posts are trying to say that the english version (increased the size in case you still don't get what I'm trying to say) feels too westernised. As I had shown in my earlier post, they could had been more faithful to the original Japanese text.

I'm gonna leave it at that. If you still don't get what I mean, fine by me. Not interested in continuing this with you

Edited by phantomJS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don't know japanese and are admitting that you're not an expert at it, then I don't know why you're commenting on its faithfulness. Either way, the language being used in the japanese version is very casual, so equivalently casual language is being used in the translation. The english version of those lines pretty accurately depict the tone in the japanese lines. I would like to know how you think japanese families talk to each other, if not in this kind of casual tone.

Edited by Decay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Editing aside, in terms of the tone used, the translation is pretty much exactly the same as the Japanese line. It's just someone casually asking their parent if they can turn on the TV. 

Nothing is lost in the translation at all. (There is no form of title used for the mother, and everything is said in plain forms.) 

I get why some people might have an issue with the editing of said line, but saying it changes the meaning from the JP line is simply incorrect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In regard to faithfull translations I would say that anything regarding how formal the langue used is would be hard to do accuratly. Japanese has a messed up complex system of formal speach which is pretty difficult to understand. Since their language focuses so much on politeness I think what in japanese would be normal formal speech would be considered really odd in english, kind of like most of the characters talking in the way rich people used to talk back in the days. Pretty sure speaking informal, while not containing swear words would be roughly the type of language one would use if they swore a lot in english. When translating with regard to these things it is probably more important to keep the general feeling of how they speak and how the way they speak is perceived, rather than trying for accuracy.

Edited by bakauchuujin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Decay said:

If you don't know japanese and are admitting that you're not an expert at it, then I don't know why you're commenting on its faithfulness. Either way, the language being used in the japanese version is very casual, so equivalently casual language is being used in the translation. The english version of those lines pretty accurately depict the tone in the japanese lines. I would like to know how you think japanese families talk to each other, if not in this kind of casual tone.

Because it's so clear that it's not faithful to the original text because of how westernised the translated version is, even people who do not know Japaneses can tell...

.....Or so I thought:

46 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Editing aside, in terms of the tone used, the translation is pretty much exactly the same as the Japanese line. It's just someone casually asking their parent if they can turn on the TV. 

Nothing is lost in the translation at all. (There is no form of title used for the mother, and everything is said in plain forms.) 

I get why some people might have an issue with the editing of said line, but saying it changes the meaning from the JP line is simply incorrect. 

If Dergonu says so, good enough for me. I'll keep my mouth shut about the translation from now on <_<....

 

Edited: guess another problem is that to me, a faithful translation keeps the meaning and tone  (I guess I was hung up on this part) the same/similar to the original text. Ops.....

Edited by phantomJS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, phantomJS said:

Because it's so clear that it's not faithful to the original text because of how westernised the translated version is, even people who do not know Japaneses can tell...

.....Or so I thought:

If Dergonu says so, good enough for me. I'll keep my mouth shut about the translation from now on <_<....

 

Edited: guess another problem is that to me, a faithful translation keeps the meaning and tone  (I guess I was hung up on this part) the same/similar to the original text. Ops.....

Honestly dude, it'd be better to criticize the editing on such a line instead of the translation aspect if you have no clue about the TL Chuee does have major issues admitting his editing is below average after all. :makina:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

Honestly dude, it'd be better to criticize the editing on such a line instead of the translation aspect if you have no clue about the TL Chuee does have major issues admitting his editing is below average after all. :makina:

Yeah, just realised this lol.

Sorry, Virgin-Sama :notlikemiya::notlikemiya:

Edited: Wait, Chuee did the editing for it?

If so, sorry. It's not my intention to criticised the TL as if I'm a Japanese expert. I just didn't like how western the translation feels, that's all :)

Edited by phantomJS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

Honestly dude, it'd be better to criticize the editing on such a line instead of the translation aspect if you have no clue about the TL Chuee does have major issues admitting his editing is below average after all. :makina:

The "care" thing? It's not so much an editing problem as it is a "english is different in different parts of the world" problem. Check out this video :) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well let's back to the topic, shall we? Also if I may suggest, maybe the OP @NowItsAngeTime can make the poll for this discussion in regard of best girl and best route imo.

As for me, well more or less it's just usual moege although the MC itself is interesting though because he managed to spoke some funny lines there lol. For the route orders, I think I'll go with Himahima first, then Rinarin, Yuzuyu, and finally Misakichi (Don't ask my nicknaming sense here). For when I'll finish this, maybe after Subahibi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

whats all this fuss about 'faithfulnss', does it even matter? If you dont like it that much then dont read this, go learn Japanese and read it in its 'best' form.

Half the discussion thread is being filled with this lol

 

58 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

Well let's back to the topic, shall we? Also if I may suggest, maybe the OP @NowItsAngeTime can make the poll for this discussion in regard of best girl and best route imo.

As for me, well more or less it's just usual moege although the MC itself is interesting though because he managed to spoke some funny lines there lol. For the route orders, I think I'll go with Himahima first, then Rinarin, Yuzuyu, and finally Misakichi (Don't ask my nicknaming sense here). For when I'll finish this, maybe after Subahibi.

Misaki best girl! :Chocola:

Edited by Freestyle80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Well let's back to the topic, shall we? Also if I may suggest, maybe the OP @NowItsAngeTime can make the poll for this discussion in regard of best girl and best route imo.

As for me, well more or less it's just usual moege although the MC itself is interesting though because he managed to spoke some funny lines there lol. For the route orders, I think I'll go with Himahima first, then Rinarin, Yuzuyu, and finally Misakichi (Don't ask my nicknaming sense here). For when I'll finish this, maybe after Subahibi.

I added Poll to the main topic. I see in walkthroughs the black hair heroine isn't always named so I put a vague name just in case unless it's ok to put her actual name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, NowItsAngeTime said:

I added Poll to the main topic. I see in walkthroughs the black hair heroine isn't always named so I put a vague name just in case unless it's ok to put her actual name.

Black Haired girl does not appear until you try to pursue her twice or three times. It's not exactly a secret, and I think her name gets mentioned early on, but I thought it'd be pretty cool to leave her sprite mysterious like they do in-game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I'm okay with the localisation, why the hell would they change French into Italian? (Date with Rina, dining into a French restaurant, with a menu in French and Desserts with French names. Torta al cioccolato? Whazzat? I heard Gâteau au Chocolat)

Edited by Riku

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Easy explanation: The less french the better. :Kappa:

10 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

It's not exactly a secret, and I think her name gets mentioned early on, but I thought it'd be pretty cool to leave her sprite mysterious like they do in-game.

I think they only mention her surname prior to chasing her, but I also agree that it's more fun to keep her face hidden. Not a meaningful revelation, but why not play along with the game?

Edited by TexasDice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×