Root Double- Before Crime * After Days - Kickstarter launched!

Decay

59 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

I'm sure this has been answered a lot of times but can we blame sekai for the tiers or is it a regista/yeti's problem being really stingy? it seems like sekai is always having troubles communicating with the people they work for and this always impact and backfires to them because the face of the kickstarter is Sekai, not Lemnisca nor regista/yeti...

EDIT: and they figured it out https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sekaiproject/root-double-before-crime-after-days-xtend-edition/posts/1466514

Those new tier rewards actually look pretty nice, imo.

And I guess someone actually listened to me when I asked for that messenger bag to be added to the tiers lol, yay. I feel useful.

Well, the kickstarter is nearing the halfway point and to be frank, it's far from looking good to me. Currently, they're at 50,590 and in order to meet the goal, they need to get an average of 4,700 to make it (rounded up number) and based on how much it's making daily, it seems to me that unless there's a giant surge in popularity for the Kickstarter, it looks like it's not gonna make it in my eyes. And yes, there's always the giant increase near the end, but at the pace it's going at, that won't really matter.

aside from those tiers, the main hinderance lies within them having announced the games relase date prior to its campaign. pretty darn sure lots of potential backers simply think why bother funding, if its going to be released shortly after anyway. and yes, personally i cant see sekai backing out from it at all now, funded or not. to be more precise if the games future of getting published were 100% at stake, they would´ve never even dared to announce it before the campaign, risking a massive reputation loss, by canceling the release, if the latter one might not make it.

Just now, XReaper said:

aside from those tiers, the main hinderance lies within them having announced the games relase date prior to its campaign. pretty darn sure lots of potential backers simply think why bother funding, if its going to be released shortly after anyway. and yes, personally i cant see sekai backing out from it at all now, funded or not. to be more precise if the games future of getting published were 100% at stake, they´ve never even dared to announce it before the campaign, risking a reputation loss by canceling the release if the latter one might not make it.

The main reason I haven't contributed is mostly because I spent all my money from Christmas before this Kickstarter was announced, but I can see why people would have a problem with that. That'd also be my mindset because Sekai Project will probably release it anyways.

3 hours ago, XReaper said:

to be more precise if the games future of getting published were 100% at stake, they would´ve never even dared to announce it before the campaign, risking a massive reputation loss, by canceling the release, if the latter one might not make it.

IMO you're mistaken, they risk a reputation loss if they release it more than if they held it back. Kickstarter is a funding platform, therefore any release date automatically comes with a disclaimer of 'if funded' due to the nature of the platform they are using. Therefore, if they cancelled the release due to lack of funding there'd actually be nothing wrong with this.

Releasing the game without being funded would suggest an abuse of the kickstarter system. People accuse them of that currently but the accusations have no evidence and therefore little weight behind them. 

Considering they removed all the patches on their site, for games that will probably never be localized, I doubt they're going to put out a patch if it fails. Chances are if they fail they'll find some ways to cut the cost by a little (if it fails it won't be by a lot). Considering the release date is so soon, I doubt they've considered not releasing it. Most of the work is probably done on this, so not releasing it would mean those people would get no compensation. 

1 hour ago, WinterfuryZX said:

if the kickstarter fails they won't get anything, 0 usd.  they probably won't be able to pay the rights and a fantranslation would be the only viable option.

That's unfortunate. It's highly unlikely that we'll get a fan translation mostly because of this kickstarter failing (I've accepted it at this point). Looks like I'm gonna have to read this one via hooking which is something I didn't want to have to do.

14 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

That's unfortunate. It's highly unlikely that we'll get a fan translation mostly because of this kickstarter failing (I've accepted it at this point). Looks like I'm gonna have to read this one via hooking which is something I didn't want to have to do.

So will the translators' work just all go to waste? I can't really imagine that happening... Root Double has to come eventually, but just not sure how, if the Kickstarter fails. 

How depressing that one of the most interesting visual novel localizations yet is in this kind of situation...

I honestly can't say they set up the Kickstarter intelligently... they should have at least done a $1 tier for those who don't have a lot of money on hand.  Backers are backers, and money is money.  Also, there has been a critical lack of community reach-out in the case of this VN, in comparison to Mikandi's efforts with Libra.  If they seriously want this backed, they are going to need to really push it, since it is an extremely niche game. 

If it gets over the ninety-thousand mark by this time next week, I'll pour some money into it, but otherwise I want to avoid locking up my cash in a project that the company involved isn't showing much enthusiasm for or intelligence in pushing. 

Edit: Also, the tiers themselves are a bit... weird.  The exponential increases in amounts required for the different tiers past the first few doesn't leave any gaps for those who are willing to put down a good amount of money but don't want to spend several thousand or several hundred dollars.  If you take a good look at the more successful game projects, you'll see a much lower gap between the lower tiers.  To me, it looks like Sekai Project didn't really think it out very well before they created the Kickstarter for this...  in other words, they didn't take the backer mentality into account very well. 

1 hour ago, LightBladeNova said:

So will the translators' work just all go to waste? I can't really imagine that happening... Root Double has to come eventually, but just not sure how, if the Kickstarter fails. 

How depressing that one of the most interesting visual novel localizations yet is in this kind of situation...

That's probably what will happen. It's best to just read it how I'm going to. It may not be the best way to, but this Kickstarter honestly looks doomed in my eyes. It's at around 52,000 right now after 13 days. It hasn't even hit halfway to it's goal yet. Unless there's a giant surge in backing, it's gonna fail.

7 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

That's probably what will happen. It's best to just read it how I'm going to. It may not be the best way to, but this Kickstarter honestly looks doomed in my eyes. It's at around 52,000 right now after 13 days. It hasn't even hit halfway to it's goal yet. Unless there's a giant surge in backing, it's gonna fail.

I wanna cry

10 hours ago, Deep Blue said:

there is time left and this are the worst days of any project, give it a week or so, if it doesnt reach 80k-70k in 1 week then it is time to get alarmed but right now it still can be funded 

Let's hope it can. It'd be a waste that this visual novel isn't exposed to the masses because it's really highly rated, even higher than some of the great translated visual novels right now.

8 hours ago, LightBladeNova said:

Where exactly has Mikandi been advertising Libra (that Sekai has not already reached out to)? Cuz I'd like to go spam those places with Root Double's KS...

Haha, I also found your post on reddit. I'm pretty sure MiKandi did an update where they stated the places they did PR, but I can't seem to find it.

What SP need to do it hire someone solely for PR, preferably a girl who really knows how to do all the social media stuff. If they constantly communicated with fans and the public they would receive higher pledges (if the tiers were a bit more... rewarding). Hiring someone for 4 hours a week to do daily PR would do them so much good, and the person hired can do it from home obviously.

MiKandi have that down pat, but it really helps that there's so much communication between the developers and those involved (cosplayers/voice actors) - this is what we want!

2 minutes ago, kingdomcome said:

Haha, I also found your post on reddit. I'm pretty sure MiKandi did an update where they stated the places they did PR, but I can't seem to find it.

What SP need to do it hire someone solely for PR, preferably a girl who really knows how to do all the social media stuff. If they constantly communicated with fans and the public they would receive higher pledges (if the tiers were a bit more... rewarding). Hiring someone for 4 hours a week to do daily PR would do them so much good, and the person hired can do it from home obviously.

MiKandi have that done pat, but it really helps that there's so much communication between the developers and those involved (cosplayers/voice actors) - this is what we want!

It's a shame that Sekai Project has to learn this lesson through this Kickstarter. They're sacrificing a great visual novel with bad tiers and not enough attention. I hope they realize that they have to try harder for this one because this visual novel doesn't have a following like Clannad and Grisaia.