Root Double- Before Crime * After Days - Kickstarter launched!

Decay

8 minutes ago, LightBladeNova said:

If there's extra money left over from the Libra kickstarter, could people consider throwing that money at Root Double instead...?

Oh, who am I kidding, they won't, since there are gonna be stretch goals they'll want to try and meet...

People thought the Narcissu Kickstarter was going to fail.  I'm not saying it's doing well, but that's no reason to start ordering a Root Double Kickstarter gravestone or anything.  Cheer up ^_^

Try telling them on their Kickstarter comments section that their tiers are still pretty bad (in a nicer phrasing, of course), and that they need to market it more, aside from just their social media pages as per usual for them.  I'm sorry, but a mug, a t-shirt, a bag and a blanket will most likely not get that many peoples' wallets opening up (that really reminds me of the crappy Narcissu tiers that never really got much better), and relying on previous SP backers to give them most of the money they need for a VN that doesn't have the same reputation as the Grisaia trilogy or Clannad in the English VN scene is ridiculous.  Some people keep whining about Libra doing better, but it's pretty obvious why it is, and it's not because of "pissing lolis".

2 hours ago, Zenophilious said:

People thought the Narcissu Kickstarter was going to fail.  I'm not saying it's doing well, but that's no reason to start ordering a Root Double Kickstarter gravestone or anything.  Cheer up ^_^

Try telling them on their Kickstarter comments section that their tiers are still pretty bad (in a nicer phrasing, of course), and that they need to market it more, aside from just their social media pages as per usual for them.  I'm sorry, but a mug, a t-shirt, a bag and a blanket will most likely not get that many peoples' wallets opening up (that really reminds me of the crappy Narcissu tiers that never really got much better), and relying on previous SP backers to give them most of the money they need for a VN that doesn't have the same reputation as the Grisaia trilogy or Clannad in the English VN scene is ridiculous.  Some people keep whining about Libra doing better, but it's pretty obvious why it is, and it's not because of "pissing lolis".

I'm sure they know that the tiers are pretty underwhelming. The problem is that a game like Root Double probably only had a limited amount of goods produced for it, so there's only a small selection when it comes to bonus items to include in the kickstarter. If they had better choices, then I doubt they'd be throwing in random shit like mugs. 

1 minute ago, Chuee said:

I'm sure they know that the tiers are pretty underwhelming. The problem is that a game like Root Double probably only had a limited amount of goods produced for it, so there's only a small selection when it comes to bonus items to include in the kickstarter. If they had better choices, then I doubt they'd be throwing in random shit like mugs. 

Yes, they do know it's underwhelming. I'm positive they're reading this thread.

The bonus items are nice, but not something that would really make the deciding factor of picking a certain pledge tier. They need more unique and personalized rewards that are more affordable, they really should work closer with the company in Japan to get more involved.

1 minute ago, Chuee said:

They actually had more for Narcissu, though, and it's a doujin VN that started out as freeware, FFS.  Not even a wall scroll or anything like that for Root Double?  It's really strange and kind of sad.

3 minutes ago, WinterfuryZX said:

Narcissu Did better from the start, and its base goal was 75k, also, that kickstarter didn't even reach 100k.

Isn't that more of a reason to get better rewards than anything else?  Narcissu was even more popular than Root Double, too, so logically it would garner less support, making the needed average pledge higher, right?

Once Libra's base goal is exceeded by a comfortable amount (they're definitely gonna make it now, it just got over $10000 today), can some of the backers withdraw some of their pledge amounts to be donated to Root Double instead...? Pretty please... is anyone going to argue that stretch goals and/or some tier rewards are more important than RD being a bare-minimum success?

I'm sorry (to Zenophilious too) for my shameful request, I'm just really that anxious right now T__T

13 minutes ago, LightBladeNova said:

Once Libra's base goal is exceeded by a comfortable amount (they're definitely gonna make it now, it just got over $10000 today), can we ask the backers to withdraw some of their pledge amounts to be donated to Root Double instead...? Pretty please... is anyone going to argue that stretch goals and/or some tier rewards are more important than RD being a bare-minimum success?

I'm sorry (to Zenophilious too), I'm just really that anxious right now T__T

You don't need to apologize, man, I just don't like seeing people depressed. 

As I'm sure you remember, I don't really like SP all that much (dovac personally messed with me on VNDB when I was trying to give constructive criticism, and I will never change my opinion that he's a petulant man-child) and I don't really like how they roll business-wise, so there's no chance of me donating a cent, but I hope that it does get funded just so more people will be able to read it.  If it makes you feel any better, some people were speculating that if it fails that they might just release it on Steam without a Kickstarter (like a normal business) and hope it sells well.  Apparently dovac said they'd do that on reddit with some other VN they were Kickstarting back before he deleted his account, so at the very least, there's a slight possibility of that happening.  I can't imagine they'd just let the TL for a fully-translated game just sit there, never to be released.  That'd just make more people hate them.

9 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

Actually... why are you so obsesed with this title? :P

Because it's actually a great visual novel that no one knows about and would be ideal for any newcomer to the medium, due to its immediate action/suspense from the very beginning and lack of both 18+ content and dating-sim elements... so I want to see it succeed.

7 minutes ago, Zenophilious said:

You don't need to apologize, man, I just don't like seeing people depressed. 

As I'm sure you remember, I don't really like SP all that much (dovac personally messed with me on VNDB when I was trying to give constructive criticism, and I will never change my opinion that he's a petulant man-child) and I don't really like how they roll business-wise, so there's no chance of me donating a cent, but I hope that it does get funded just so more people will be able to read it.  If it makes you feel any better, some people were speculating that if it fails that they might just release it on Steam without a Kickstarter (like a normal business) and hope it sells well.  Apparently dovac said they'd do that on reddit with some other VN they were Kickstarting back before he deleted his account, so at the very least, there's a slight possibility of that happening.  I can't imagine they'd just let the TL for a fully-translated game just sit there, never to be released.  That'd just make more people hate them.

I guess that does make me feel a little better, thanks...

55 minutes ago, Zenophilious said:

If it makes you feel any better, some people were speculating that if it fails that they might just release it on Steam without a Kickstarter (like a normal business) and hope it sells well.  Apparently dovac said they'd do that on reddit with some other VN they were Kickstarting back before he deleted his account, so at the very least, there's a slight possibility of that happening.  I can't imagine they'd just let the TL for a fully-translated game just sit there, never to be released.  That'd just make more people hate them.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Dovac was talking about the WAS Kickstarter, which only had a $10,000 base goal. Witch Boy didn't reach its goal and we still haven't heard a word about it since.

If anything, I'd expect them to relaunch the Kickstarter at a later date with less competition and a lower goal/more rewards.

54 minutes ago, Zenophilious said:

Some people were speculating that if it fails that they might just release it on Steam without a Kickstarter (like a normal business) and hope it sells well.

Is that the reason why SP frequently post VN titles on Kickstarter. To ensure its success?

I thought that it was used to help boost their funding for localisation projects since they're low on budget. 

Right now, it seems like they're frequently using Kickstarter to the point that it looks like they're taking advantage of the situation.

I wonder how it compares to Mangagamer business-wise since I haven't seen any KS from them.

31 minutes ago, RikiSanic said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Dovac was talking about the WAS Kickstarter, which only had a $10,000 base goal. Witch Boy didn't reach its goal and we still haven't heard a word about it since.

If anything, I'd expect them to relaunch the Kickstarter at a later date with less competition and a lower goal/more rewards.

That's why I mentioned that people were "speculating" and didn't say anything concrete.  On Witch Boy's Kickstarter comments section they said that they were "planning something" and "hope to get it off the ground [this] year", but haven't said anything since.  I don't think they had actually fully translated it anyway, and it's pretty obvious that most of the work on Root Double has already been done, much like the Narcissu sequels since the release dates for them and RD weren't and aren't that far away from their Kickstarter's ending date.  Either the translators are waiting to get paid until after the Kickstarter succeeds (which is a really shitty deal I doubt many people would eagerly agree to), or they already got paid and SP is fronting the money and intending to pay themselves back with Kickstarter funds.  If it's the latter I'd imagine that they'd be rather eager to get some money back as soon as possible if the campaign failed, but that's just my guess.

I don't know if they will try a second Kickstarter.  They've only failed one before, and that was for a PC port of a crappy-looking mobile game, so I don't think anyone can really say for sure what they'll do.  The audience for Witch Boy was also much smaller than Root Double's, so that might factor into their decision.

5 minutes ago, LightBladeNova said:

Wait, so what exactly happened with Libra? It got ~$13,000 today and it's not even the last 1-2 days yet... was it because of MangaGamer's advertising or something? If so, can they do the same for Root Double...?

MangaGamer advertised it because they reached a distribution deal to sell the game on their storefont and that's not going to happen with Root Double.

23 minutes ago, Basileus777 said:

MangaGamer advertised it because they reached a distribution deal to sell the game on their storefont and that's not going to happen with Root Double.

:( Can they not advertise Root Double simply for the sake of the common goal of promoting visual novel localizations...?

1 minute ago, LightBladeNova said:

:( Can they not advertise Root Double simply for the sake of the common goal of promoting visual novel localizations...?

The only way I see them advertising it is if root double will be released on their store which I doubt it because manggamer focus more in Adult-games rather than all-ages. :shrug:

6 minutes ago, Dark_blade64 said:

The only way I see them advertising it is if root double will be released on their store which I doubt it because manggamer focus more in Adult-games rather than all-ages. :shrug:

But is there any disadvantage for MangaGamer to just spread the word about Root Double? If there is one, let me know, because I don't see it...

2 minutes ago, LightBladeNova said:

But is there any disadvantage for MangaGamer to just spread the word about Root Double? If there is one, let me know, because I don't see it...

Dunno don't ask me, ask them. In any case they are the one to decide if they want spread the word which I don't remember see it happened before. :amane:

9 minutes ago, LightBladeNova said:

They are just unlikely to go out of their way to send a newsletter about their competitor's project without a reason to do so.

6 minutes ago, Dark_blade64 said:

"manggamer"  "mang"  lol

That's a little unfair.  They definitely focus on 18+ content and nukige a lot more than they do all-ages, but they have some all-ages VNs on their store.  There would be more, but because got a few of them rated by the ESRB they cannot be displayed with any 18+ content on the same page, and MangaGamer's Weekly Ranking sidebar made that impossible.  They chose to remove the all-ages ESRB copies from their site instead of getting rid of or majorly altering their Weekly Ranking sidebar.

They just won't sell Root Double on MangaGamer's site because there is literally no reason to.  If there was, then they would have already struck a deal with them.  Steam is a better place to sell it anyway, it'll get more exposure and advertising via the New Releases section and user queues.  There's a reason MangaGamer puts their all-ages VNs on Steam.

6 hours ago, LightBladeNova said:

Once Libra's base goal is exceeded by a comfortable amount (they're definitely gonna make it now, it just got over $10000 today), can some of the backers withdraw some of their pledge amounts to be donated to Root Double instead...? Pretty please... is anyone going to argue that stretch goals and/or some tier rewards are more important than RD being a bare-minimum success?

I'm sorry (to Zenophilious too) for my shameful request, I'm just really that anxious right now T__T

sorry but that's a really shitty thing to ask, why would you take away money from one project to put it into another one? 
We also told you several times that it will make it but you just don't listen to anyone and now ask this kind of thing :/