Root Double- Before Crime * After Days - Kickstarter launched!

Decay

3 minutes ago, LightBladeNova said:

Apparently he's not doing a good job then... T_T

Well, I can't say for sure, since I don't know exactly what he's done so far, but in my opinion (which is mostly based on assumptions and looking at their marketing and such), no, he is most definitely not doing that good of a job.  He's still doing a hell of a lot better than dovac, though, and I'm pretty sure that's one of the main reasons he got hired.

You know that "Root Double better in some aspects than Steins;Gate" topic in the VN subreddit? That translator opinion was a comment from a Root Double post that I asked Operation Bluebird, the main Zero Escape fanpage on Facebook, to make like a week ago (sorry for bragging). But since then I haven't had any real success in advertising this KS to many people... :(

Are tiers the bigger problem, or is it that not enough people even know about this Kickstarter in the first place? I know both aspects work together in a KS campaign, but if many people don't even know about the Kickstarter, then better tiers wouldn't help that much... whereas if the tiers are bad but many people know about it, then at least there'll still be a relatively decent accumulation of funding.

4 minutes ago, LightBladeNova said:

Are tiers the bigger problem, or is it that not enough people even know about this Kickstarter in the first place? I know both aspects work together in a KS campaign, but if many people don't even know about the Kickstarter, then better tiers wouldn't help that much... whereas if the tiers are bad but many people know about it, then at least there'll still be a relatively decent accumulation of funding.

It´s probably a mix of the two, but I think that few people know about it is the biggest issue right now. SP haven't done too much PR with this one. It´s kind of a shame. Then again, considering how popular they have gotten after Grisaia and Clannad there is still hope they get noticed more and more towards the end of the campaign. 

Also, seeing as the tiers have been improved thats a plus for future backers. 

even with everything against them is doing almost 2k per day which is not bad but they are still doing things I don't agree with... for example the last update they did was just bad...why would you discredit another vn just to make a point? how can you think that is a good idea to point out defects of another vn, specially if it is one that everyone loves. It doesn't matter if they are right or wrong, for me that just a lame way of proceeding. 

Talk about your vn, don't compare it to another one specially comparing the flaws that might have... are you trying to fund root double or bad talking steins;gate?

5 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

even with everything against them is doing almost 2k per day which is not bad but they are still doing things I don't agree with... for example the last update they did was just bad...why would you discredit another vn just to make a point? how can you think that is a good idea to point out defects of another vn, specially if it is one that everyone loves. It doesn't matter if they are right or wrong, for me that just a lame way of proceeding. 

Talk about your vn, don't compare it to another one specially comparing the flaws that might have... are you trying to fund root double or bad talking steins;gate?

Well, it would've been fine to just link the translator's opinion and let the people make of that as they will. But yes, I don't agree with Sekai outright saying that "this game is better compared to Steins;Gate", especially when the translator never actually said that. Sekai should've just said something like "Here's a translator's opinion comparing Root Double with Steins;Gate in certain aspects." 

3 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

Yes I dont understand that choice either ... All that really accomplishes is to anger Steins;gate fans. I mean, why not just make a point that the translator thinks this game is very promising and leave it at that. There is no reason to put down a different VN in the process. 

Actually, the fact that he has worked on such a popular title like Steins;gate should in itself be kind of a selling point for fans who might want to jump into this title and help the kickstarter, but they kind of burn that bridge by "smack talking" Steins;gate. 

It doesn´t seem to be intended like that, but it´s pretty much how it comes across, which is a bad thing. Hope they change that update in order to not get an abundance of negative feedback because of it. 

9 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Yes I dont understand that choice either ... All that really accomplishes is to anger Steins;gate fans. I mean, why not just make a point that the translator thinks this game is very promising and leave it at that. There is no reason to put down a different VN in the process. 

Actually, the fact that he has worked on such a popular title like Steins;gate should in itself be kind of a selling point for fans who might want to jump into this title and help the kickstarter, but they kind of burn that bridge by "smack talking" Steins;gate. 

It doesn´t seem to be intended like that, but it´s pretty much how it comes across, which is a bad thing. Hope they change that update in order to not get an abundance of negative feedback because of it. 

I asked Sekai in the comments section to modify that update, but apparently it was too late for them to make edits, so... welp -__-

Let's just hope future updates will bury this one enough so that later backers won't see it lol. 

3 minutes ago, grim_tales1 said:

I saw that comparison as them saying "If you love Steins Gate, you'll love this!" not that SG was crap or anything.

Yeah and thats what they intended as well, but sadly it comes off completely wrong for a lot of readers. Really shouldn´t have worded it quite like they did. 

Hopefully it won't have a very negative impact on people´s opinion. 

Hell, let´s hope it still has a positive effect. 

2 hours ago, Decay said:

I'm as big of a Steins;Gate fanboy as they come and I thought it was just fine? You're making a mountain out of a molehill, here.

Well thats a good thing at least :sachi: 

Maybe it is just me who reacted this way. To me it just reads: this is better than Steins;gate! I get the intent but it just feels like a strange way to word it. But yeah maybe it´s just me then :P 

24 minutes ago, CeruleanGamer said:

Since everyone is sharing opinions like a mother fucker, here's mine: It's not better than Steins;Gate because S;G is one of the best time traveling VNs in the ENTIRE UNIVERSE and it's impossible to top that...

Isn't it one of the only amazing ones because I've looked through all the really good Japanese VNs and none of the other time travel ones seem to interest me.

3 hours ago, VirginSmasher said:

Isn't it one of the only amazing ones because I've looked through all the really good Japanese VNs and none of the other time travel ones seem to interest me.

Yeah because it's a rather complex read. It is very detailed in its storytelling unlike most sci-fi visual novels.

Just now, CeruleanGamer said:

Yeah because it's a rather complex read. It is very detailed in its storytelling unlike most sci-fi visual novels.

It's one of a kind, that's for sure. I don't think that kind of greatness can be replicated twice. Even the other VNs in the series like Chaos;Head don't come close in my opinion. Of course, this is all an opinion off of the anime because I still haven't had time to play Steins;Gate. This is the moment in time where I really hate exams because they distract me from the things I really want to do.

Stein's Gate seems like more hard sci-fi, whereas Root Double more mystery/suspense. Comparing two stories of completely different genres is always a hard thing and often comes down to preferences and what you enjoy. Blick Winkel said he felt the characters of Root Double were more fleshed out, which tends to be what happens because hard sci-fi concentrates some of its time on the concepts/world/plot. He further said Root Double has more choice and consequence, again a valid point but how much weight you place on this depends on the individual.

Was it bad form for the TL to compare one project to another? No. I hope we haven't become so sterile a world that nobody can voice an opinion without people getting offended, have we...?

I really want this Kickstarter campaign to succeed. I enjoyed Ever17 quite a bit and this ones seems to be very highly rated and a worthy successor.

And not to mention that it has an ADULT protagonist who's NOT a school boy and it has a very interesting story premise which is NOT about school life. It's hard to believe that it's written by a Japanese writer. Over the years I almost got the impression that they are genetically programmed to write about school life or there's a law like mosaic censoring which forces them to include school life themes in everything they write.

The only exception seems to be if they're writing about tentacles, in which case they seem to be allowed to omit school life themes and... uh wait... I suddenly get a very bad feeling. That can't be true!!! :conspiracy:

Anyway, the campaign doesn't look that bad so far. It's slowly getting close to 50 %. If the Libra campaign is over public attention will move to Root Double I guess. Considering how much money Libra gained in the last days, I think Root Double should do well too.

12 hours ago, Dergonu said:

It´s probably a mix of the two, but I think that few people know about it is the biggest issue right now. SP haven't done too much PR with this one. It´s kind of a shame. Then again, considering how popular they have gotten after Grisaia and Clannad there is still hope they get noticed more and more towards the end of the campaign. 

Also, seeing as the tiers have been improved thats a plus for future backers. 

Both.  The tiers were bad, but the very fact that I don't see advertisement on every VN-related site I browse says they aren't working very hard at it.

Okay guys, so I asked one of my Ever17 Gamefaqs acquaintances, Funchal99, to personally request Kotaro Uchikoshi, whom you hopefully all know as the writer of the Zero Escape games and co-writer for Ever17, to spread the word about this Kickstarter himself, and that worked out well :) he's made a post on his Facebook and Twitter, so it'd nice if you could like/share/retweet them.

Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/kotaro.uchikoshi

Twitter tweets: https://twitter.com/Uchikoshi_Eng?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

In hindsight, I can't believe I didn't think of this idea before... and why no one else did either.

16 hours ago, Zenophilious said:

Wanted to pop in and give a big THANK YOU to those of you who have supported RD and helped to spread the word.

Kickstarter and other crowdfunding campaigns can be very tricky. Not only do they rely on the creator(s) to push and help spread the word, but backers as well. Backers are the lifeblood of these campaigns. We read and take into consideration everything that gets posted on the campaign page.

And yes, we could certainly use your help to further spread the word. Be it a tweet FB post, carrier pigeon, etc. Show and tell the outlets that you frequent regularly that it is something that you feel passionate about and that their readers will be interested in hearing about. It's a team effort.

We have members of the team who are primarily focused on Root Double while my primary focus is on our current releases (Strawberry Vinegar, No One But You, Rabi-Ribi) and upcoming releases for Q1 2016. That's not to say that we aren't pushing the campaign, we have distributed news about the campaign's launch (https://twitter.com/sekaiproject/status/684464856435527680), plugged it in a couple interviews, and have been fairly active on social media in regards to further promotion of the campaign. We have also generated some pretty cool new backer rewards, and have been steadily posting campaign updates. We want to see this one blast past its goal just as much as you do.

We are still a relatively small publishing/lic. outfit and not even one month in to 2016 we have three releases in January plus the Root Double KS campaign ...not to mention several other titles on the horizon. It's a lot titles to be working on simultaneously and by such a small, dedicated team. Sure, it's not an ideal timeframe to be working on so many projects at once, but sometimes you have to work with what you've got and you can't always ask the development studios to wait while we release "Game X" ahead of theirs. As you can imagine, that doesn't go over so well. ;P

So if there are outlets that you feel that we should be speaking with, or ones that you frequent on a regular basis, please, by all means let us know. I will happily reach out to them to gauge their interest.

Overall, we love hearing from you and just redesigned our own forums too (http://forums.sekaiproject.com/). Not only do I welcome you to speak with us or ask me questions here or on our forums, but you can also reach out to me directly on Twitter. I love speaking with my fellow peers about games and other related topics.

It's all for THE GREATER GOOD!

Now back to pitching and sending out some more review keys. :D

Yours truly,

Chopped Liver ;3