Will you read a VN without voice acting? Does it bother you?

Mugi

How voice acting affects ones desire to play a VN  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Will you read a VN without voice acting?

• Yes, it doesn't bother me
    • No, I need dem voices
    • Of course, I hate voice acting

This poll is closed to new votes

This just came to mind since I was debating on whether or not to read Tsukihime. My first VN was Katawa Shoujo, which of course didn't have any voice acting, and I was fine with that; it's still definitely one of my favorites, because it got me into VN's and I couldn't stop playing. At that point I had no idea that there were VN's with voice acting, so when I then started Hoshizora no Memoria it somewhat annoyed me, maybe because I wasn't used to it? But of course I got used to it, and am actually quite fond of it at this point. It's been half a year or so since I read Katawa Shoujo, so I wonder how it'll feel reading something without voice acting..

How does everyone else feel about this? Does it bother you if a game doesn't have it? Or maybe you dislike voice acting?

Voices make the experience better in my opinion but as my first VN was also KS which didn't have voices it doesn't really bother me that much. The important part about a VN is the story and the art, not the voice acting I can't even understand. It is indeed just a small minus if there's no voice acting.

Honestly if the VN is truly great, I could make an effort and read it but I really prefer them to be voiced it adds so much to a story as much as the music in my opinion. VNs without voices have less impact when it comes to epic scenes or emotionnal ones for me.

I think voice-acting is something that adds a lot to the experience, so it's relevant to me. Now, that does not means that I loathe VNs without voice acting, hell, I'm reading Tsukihime and I'm in love with it despite the audio issues, not to mention how much I love Katawa Shoujo. Judging the nature of the medium, I feel like voice acting is something that can only add to the work.

Something I want to mention, is that I'd rather either have no voice acting at all or it full voiced than only some parts. I read The Second Reproduction and only having some parts voiced was really weird and while it wasn't bad, in fact, some voiced parts were outstanding, I think it's the worst choice possible. You know, go big or go home.

I guess I can do without voices if the VN is really my type of VN(everyone likes something specific,right?). I remember reading my first VN and the characters spoke and I was like: woah woah, these people talk? that's pretty cool, Its kind of like an audio book with pictures and stuff. Voice acting does add the to atmosphere though,especially for some of those emotional moments, the sad BGM in the background, the good voice acting that brings tears to your eyes, 

dont really mind i gueass, loves tsukihime and katwa no shoujo.

Voices are nice, but i think of them as more of a gimmick.

It does not make a bad game any better.

Nor does it really improve on a great game.

It just adds that little extra touch.

Back when I had my paranoia, I always turned them off on purpose. Then, someone told me about headphones and I got over it (fairly quickly).

But I still don't care if voices are in or not. Especially if dropping them helps the translation budget (thanks, voice acting contracts).

EDIT: Thread-title in relation to survey is confusing and caused me to vote incorrectly. I demand blood.