Favorite Visual Novel Genres

VirginSmasher

42 minutes ago, gunter said:

gloomy things, with no happy ends ... like saya no uta or kara no shoujo . same as music,i cant stand things about happiness,and more happiness, with on top happiness, it can't work. comedy and schoolife things are not bad,but it really quickly gets on my nerves if the vn contain only that kind of stuff. i also love when the story bore some kinf of reflection ,like in urobuchi's story ( what's a monster,what's an human,were is the line between them?  or the reflexion about heroism in fate stay night and fate zero ) and when you had not villains in one side,and heros in the other. of course,a bit of hentai doesn't hurt :makina:

A little hentai won't hurt anything...except my dick.

11 minutes ago, CeruleanGamer said:

Also extra expenses spent on tissues. I go through a tissue box 4x faster than an average person because of my private time.

I don't even use tissues because then my family will know when they see my garbage full of tissues.

But I do spend way too much time on hentai, but not as much as I did back when I was 13 and had first discovered ecchi anime. Those were the days :yumiko:

I like mystery of all kinds: More serious stuff like Innocent Grey VN's or Ever17, with a healthy bit of moe and chuuni like G-Senjou no Maou or with a more erotic touch and vampires like Kiriya Hakushakuke no Roku Shimai or Bishoujo Mangekyou -Norowareshi Densetsu no Shoujo-. Still hoping for Caucasus from Innocent Grey to be picked up by MangaGamer or Jast. Though judging by the sales of KnS2 it doesn't look to good I fear.

I also like fantasy, especially classic medieval western style like the stuff from Eushully (not necessarily with gameplay though) or asian style 'Romance of the Three Kingdoms' like Koihime Musou. I wish someone would finish the translation of August's Aiyoku no Eustia. Maybe I shouldn't wait and just gor for the half-translated version and read the rest in Japanese. The fan translation of Shin Koihime Musou is also at the top of my wish list.

And I like VN's with knight girls, like Walkure Romanze, Seikishi Melty ☆ Lovers and especially Unionism Quartet. The expansion for Unionism Quartet was announced today, so I'll play that as soon as it's available.

Trap protagonist stories also have a strange attraction on me for some reason I can't really explain. I guess it's the strange mixture of semi-yuri, wolf in sheep's clothing feeling and the constant thrill of being discovered that makes it kind of interesting. I really liked Otoboku (both anime & VN) and I really like to see more from Caramel Box. I'm also bullying MangaGamer for some time now to license Navel's Tsuriotsu series. Unfortunately with little luck so far *sigh*. But at least I've gotten some Japanese stuff from Ensemble to read for this year.

Besides that I can almost read everything as long as it's good, has shiny art and isn't too fetish heavy or depressing.

4 hours ago, Dergonu said:

How can you forget about moe!!! Moe is the essence of life! Moe is the thing that makes you get up in the morning! Moe is what makes the world turn as fast as it does! Moe is... Uh... P-Pyaa? :pyaa:

Is your love for Moe this weak!? What a letdown, a hero has fallen before me :yumiko:

@Kiriririri  That sounds a bit extreme though :michiru: But i might be able to relate somehow lol

@Dergonu  Does Moe really have the power to move the world? :makina:

1 minute ago, DarkZedge said:

Is your love for Moe this weak!? What a letdown, a hero has fallen before me :yumiko:

@Kiriririri  That sounds a bit extreme though :michiru: But i might be able to relate somehow lol

@Dergonu  Does Moe really have the power to move the world? :makina:

Yes, moe can move anything. Moe is stronger than anything, even Clephas! :pyaa:

1 minute ago, CeruleanGamer said:

Also extra expenses spent on tissues. I go through a tissue box 4x faster than an average person because of my private time.

yeah...and since tissue is kinda abrasive ,you end paying some extra tab for asking a gp to get rid of those ugly spots that are bulging on your shaft...  well,in definitive hentai hurt a lot :v

My favorite genre, as whole? Comedy.

From a writing and audience standpoint, it is actually really hard to make bad comedy (unless you're this guy). Even an average comedy VN should always give you enough to laugh for you to consider it worth your time.

And no, I'm not saying that making shit is okay, as long as you shoehorn in a reference to get a laugh or two. What I wanted to get at, is that coming up with a decent comedy is usually easier than writing a good drama, hence why there are less bad comedies than there is awful drama

11 minutes ago, Canicheslayer said:

I don't know if we can call it a genre but I'm really fond of dystopian VNs (like Sharin no Kuni...or Sekien no Inganock).  I want more :wub:

Sharin no Kuni and Grisaia are the two reasons why I don't play visual novels for the h scenes like I used to. Sharin no Kuni and Loose boy are both great. It sucks to hear his last project wasn't great.

Hard and "Hardish" Sci-Fi ----> soft Sci-Fi -----> tecno-fantasy ------> mistery -----> horror -----> fantasy ----> utsuge ---------> Chuunige --------> Telenovela-style( Ef, Kiminozo)----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> Nakige --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> moege/charage ---> key stuff (I just can't digest Jun maeda)-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> Nukige

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... I don't really favor one VN genres over the other as I played different kinds of it ranging from fantasy to mystery/detective or some traditional school comedy VNs settings. I'll play whatever types of genre I fancy depending of my mood. Also I somehow beginning to like VNs with RPG gameplay elements attached to it such as Aselia The Eternal And Yumina The Ethereal which adds a certain layer to it aside from the already great storyline these games has, making these kinds of game more enjoyable to play than the average VNs out there with multiple routes. Although I'm not implying that there's anything wrong with it. :)  

Anyways, I'll play anything that gets my ways as long as the storyline is decent enough and the English translation or localization is understandable and well polished with cool eye candy artworks of course!