Favorite Visual Novel Genres

VirginSmasher

This is an interesting topic I thought of that may be a good discussion. What are your guys' favorite genres in visual novels? My personal favorites are Mystery because of the Kara No Shoujo series and G Senjou No Maou and Nakige aka almost every Key visual novel.

Edit- can't believe I forgot about chuuni. I'm always clamoring for great stories in visual novels because after a while, moege and SOL gets on your nerves.

Edited by VirginSmasher

Chuuni, if it counts. I'll go for "action" otherwise. All my favorite VNs fall into it. Dies Irae, KKK, Comyu, Hello, Lady, Ayakashibito, Aselia, Rose Guns Days, the Rance series, Kikokugai... 

Not to say those VNs are the best  thing ever (though there are 3 kamige in there and most are high-quality, IMO). I just really love them.

I wouldn t read a VN that is 100% about 1 genre. Only mystery? that s too much like a detective genre. Only romance? That s just too much romance without anything special.

It just needs more genres in it.

But i will mention 4 as my favorites: romance/drama/mystery or fantasy/ a bit of comedy never hurts

I usually like VNs to have a good mix of genres. If it has a good share of action, mistery and romance I'll probably like it.

That being said, I've also enjoyed VNs that focus on one genre. ef, for example, is mostly about romance and I loved it.

You could say I'm a fan of well-written stories and good character development regardless of genre.

7 hours ago, Zidan209 said:

I wouldn t read a VN that is 100% about 1 genre. Only mystery? that s too much like a detective genre. Only romance? That s just too much romance without anything special.

It just needs more genres in it.

But i will mention 4 as my favorites: romance/drama/mystery or fantasy/ a bit of comedy never hurts

I play all genres as well, but this thread is more for the genres that we will always try out.

Ooh, this is a really good yet tough question to ask  Evil i tell you! :yumiko:

But if i had to chose favorite genres, they'd be somewhere along (Drama, Romance, Action & School life) but i've been known to read almost anything though i do have my preferences as i said ^^

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=7712674

Ps: @Dergonu  Your post reminded me of the Moe genre so i'm adding that one aswell x.x , had to edit just for this :michiru:

200_s.gif

gloomy things, with no happy ends ... like saya no uta or kara no shoujo . same as music,i cant stand things about happiness,and more happiness, with on top happiness, it can't work. comedy and schoolife things are not bad,but it really quickly gets on my nerves if the vn contain only that kind of stuff. i also love when the story bore some kinf of reflection ,like in urobuchi's story ( what's a monster,what's an human,were is the line between them?  or the reflexion about heroism in fate stay night and fate zero ) and when you had not villains in one side,and heros in the other. of course,a bit of hentai doesn't hurt :makina:

51 minutes ago, DarkZedge said:

Ps: @Dergonu  Your post reminded me of the Moe genre so i'm adding that one aswell x.x , had to edit just for this :michiru:

200_s.gif

How can you forget about moe!!! Moe is the essence of life! Moe is the thing that makes you get up in the morning! Moe is what makes the world turn as fast as it does! Moe is... Uh... P-Pyaa? :pyaa:

@Kiriririri @Flutterz Back be up here. Say a few more things about why moe is awesome so people wont forget ever again!

1 minute ago, Dergonu said:

How can you forget about moe!!! Moe is the essence of life! Moe is the thing that makes you get up in the morning! Moe is what makes the world turn as fast as it does! Moe is... Uh... P-Pyaa? :pyaa:

@Kiriririri @Flutterz Back be up here. Say a few more things about why moe is awesome so people wont forget ever again!

Uhh... say something? Umm... Moe makes me want to stay in my bed, fall deeper into the weeb hole and become a hikikomori? :pyaa: