Mangagamer 2016 Licensing Survey

littleshogun

I'd say Rance is equally focused on sex and gameplay. And it may not be dark hardcore sexual slavery, but it's still rape and people who are turned off by that will be turned off by Rance as well. But it's also ridiculously popular so I'm not surprised by its placement. Rance fans desperately want the alicesoft partnership to pay off in their favor. 

As for the hints they dropped, I looked at their catalog and there are only two sequels or fandiscs for games they've already licensed that aren't announced already and make sense, Otoboku 2 and ImoPara2. Otoboku 1 was fairly mediocre but everyone tells me that 2 was a huge jump in quality and is generally a great VN, so I wouldn't mind them finally bringing it over.

Even though I'm not a fan of gameplay titles, I'm happy to see the Rance series on the top spot because of its fanbase. I'm also happy to see that a title with rape scenes is in the top.

Seeing Sono Hanabira and Diabolik Lovers in the top 10 is a good thing, imo. The more different "types" of VNs, the better.

As for my own personal interest, I guess the only title in the top 10 that I'd be interested in is Aiyoku no Eustia.

Actually, I'm more interested in the rest of the list. I'm curious about the NTR titles that were suggested. I doubt I was the only one to put some NTR titles between the suggestions. 

9 minutes ago, Decay said:

Otoboku 1 was fairly mediocre but everyone tells me that 2 was a huge jump in quality and is generally a great VN, so I wouldn't mind them finally bringing it over.

I'd given up on Otoboku 2 seeing a localisation. It would make me plenty happy if MG did release it.

"....translation quality, being seemingly a rather minor concern for most coming in at 6th place beneath the presence of erotic content...". am i the only one to find said fact is little disturbing, but oh well debonosu has already proven that everything´s going to sell, regardless of the amount of efforts poured into it...

27 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

The only reason I'm not translating a SonoHana game is because I'm placing all my faith in MG to bring the titles over. Hopefully the placement SonoHana had this time around will make that dream come true. :D

That plus your busy with a TL already, right? :illya:

23 minutes ago, SilverLi said:

Yay Rance is first. MG show this to Alicesoft. "We want Rance" chanting! Overall really pleased with the survey.

Probably depends on BBH reception. personally I don't think BBH was the best choice Alicesoft could have used to test the waters... It was translated perfectly from what I understand - completely polished - but I'm hearing people I know say it's a pretty bad VN for gameplay and writing, with CGs being it's only real strength. (when compared to other Alicesoft/Eushully titles)

Though obviously tastes  and standards vary from one person to the next. :makina:

Still, if I had to choose - I'd like to see Evenicle come over, if people are gonna be so damned focused on nukige... -_- "even over translation quality"..lol, sad...

1 hour ago, XReaper said:

"....translation quality, being seemingly a rather minor concern for most coming in at 6th place beneath the presence of erotic content...". am i the only one to find said fact is little disturbing, but oh well debonosu has already proven that everything´s going to sell, regardless of the amount of efforts poured into it...

Look at it this way. If the visual novel does not have anything you're interested in, then it doesn't matter how good the translation is, you're still not going to buy it.

Though yes I agree that people should be a bit more picky.

9 minutes ago, XReaper said:

Bad translation quality has been called out as of recent because of the Flowers demo, but people will still buy it regardless of translation quality which is unfortunate.

8 minutes ago, MercyZombie said:

Look on it this way. If the visual novel does not have anything you're interested in, then it doesn't matter how good the translation is, you're still not going to buy it.

look at it this way, if a visual novel features something you´re interested in, but consists of subpar writing, then you most probably regret having bought it. :P

edit: it only goes for those unable to enjoy anything written in a stiff/lifeless/grammatically genocidal manner... regrettably...

4 minutes ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

Probably depends on BBH reception. personally I don't think BBH was the best choice Alicesoft could have used to test the waters... It was translated perfectly from what I understand - completely polished - but I'm hearing people I know say it's a pretty bad VN for gameplay and writing, with CGs being it's only real strength. (when compared to other Alicesoft/Eushully titles)

It still annoys me that BBH was picked to be Alicesoft's first Western release. Definitely not their best title

1 minute ago, Rooke said:

It still annoys me that BBH was picked to be Alicesoft's first Western release. Definitely not their best title

And yet it's one of their highest rated in Japan. From their perspective, maybe it's a top tier title.

Well, BBH is doing well on their weekly sales charts, I'm sure there will be future Alicesoft from MG.

1 minute ago, Decay said:

And yet it's one of their highest rated in Japan. From their perspective, maybe it's a top tier title.

The gameplay is basic, the story non-existent, the sim aspects bloated, the only thing it has going for it are the sex scenes.

Basically they went into a relationship with a developer of excellent gameplay titles and released ... a nukige. I'm very happy for them that it's rated highly in Japan, I'm under no illusions why it's rated so highly though. 

1 minute ago, XReaper said:

look at it this way, if a visual novel features something you´re interested in, but consists of subpar writing, then you most probably regret having bought it. :P

I agree with you completely. But I can still see why people voted like they did.

and in that example you did buy it. :holo: and that is what's important

Just now, Rooke said:

The gameplay is basic, the story non-existent, the sim aspects bloated, the only thing it has going for it are the sex scenes.

Basically they went into a relationship with a developer of excellent gameplay titles and released ... a nukige. I'm very happy for them that it's rated highly in Japan, I'm under no illusions why it's rated so highly though. 

Probably why bbh was picked by alicesoft to be their opening game in their partnership with Mangagamer. They looked up a list of Mangagamer titles and picked something of theirs that fitted in best.

bbh is a fantastic nukige, it may not have excellent gameplay or story, but it excels in what it's objective was.

2 minutes ago, MercyZombie said:

I agree with you completely. But I can still see why people voted like they did.

and in that example you did buy it. :holo: and that is what's important

I still suspect a large portion voted ironically, like on Steam Greenlight - just to screw around with results. I hate to imagine the possibility of any other explination. :sachi:

I wonder, what position would translation quality be in if they asked that question again after the Flowers fiasco? Maybe people needed to be reminded of how important TL quality is because MG has generally been doing a pretty good job lately. Translation is one of those things where when it's good, people tend not to notice or even think about it. They only notice when it's bad. 

It's still a sad reality that the average consumer appears to not care, as we've seen examples of time and time again with VNs.

56 minutes ago, Rooke said:

The Venus Blood series strikes a balance that I think Alicesoft failed to hit with Haruka.  It has complex gameplay that is quite challenging on the harder difficulties, a substantive main story with two major arcs (law and chaos), and H-scenes that form a plot arc all their own.  As you say, Haruka ends up being more or less a string of H-scenes (and the superfluous and repetitive nature of them quickly grated on me), while the Venus Blood series can be enjoyed by those looking purely for ero and also by those who aren't interested in the ero at all.

Fairly decent results, glad to see Rance placed so highly. It's definitely a series that's sorely wanted. The accusations of being a rape nukige are fairly unwarranted, though.

I've started reading Evenicle recently and have to say, it's an excellent game as well - I doubt we'll see it for a long time if ever, but it's absolutely the best Alicesoft release in a while and I would be truly sad if it never gets brought over.

A good translation should be a matter of course for a professional company and not something I should have to 'request' in a priority list. Just like a computer game should be released in a bug free state without having to request that in particular.

Naturally, reality is different and those things unfortunately happen far too often, but I'm still too stubborn to request something that should be a given.