Mangagamer 2016 Licensing Survey

littleshogun

So now we've finally had Mangagamer survey result for 2016. Just look at the page here. I'll make some commentary about the result later. And Mangagamer prepare some guessing game.

About the guessing game, I might be wrong, but I'll quote the most suspicious paragraph (For me) below if you want to try by yourselves. Here's the paragraph:

Romance and science fiction/fantasy took the top spots in the genre question––quite a few of our upcoming announcements fit one or both of those categories, particularly fantasy. Yuri and nukige gained substantial ground this year with otome and BL losing a few points (probably related to the smaller proportion of women responding this year).

And here's the question for the guessing game:

So, where’s that leave us for the year ahead? Well, there were a few hints peppered in the analysis above, but we can give you a few more morsels to chew on: continuations and sequels certainly are in vogue these days, so you might want to keep your ears tuned for some spirited additions and some double trouble.

If you want to know my answer, my suspect goes to Umineko, since we'd saw word fantasy and red text. Also continuations, sequels, certainly, and vogue was corruption from voyage. And since we saw so many death at Umineko, spirited make sense maybe (We've just recently got Kindred Spirit on the Roof recently though), but I kinda wonder about ears though. Either way, it's pretty interesting, although I think since we'd already had Umineko successfully patched with PS3 Graphic and voices, MangaGamer version will be obsolete imo. But by thinking the answer was Umineko, maybe it was too obvious though.

Oh the last thing is that for March 25th - March 27th, at Boston Mangagamer will had 2 announcements. Well, look forward to it, if only for possible future release since I'd live in Indonesia, very far from Boston obviously.

By the way, what all of the user here think about Mangagamer survey result here? Just discuss it here, okay.

The top ten don't look so bad overall, but having a rape nukige series on first place and a yuri nukige series on third place is a bit sad.

While not an absolute necessity for most, the majority of respondents demonstrated a moderate preference for HD graphics (one of our unannounced projects might particularly enticing to this crowd, no joke).

But I wonder if this sentence has a deeper meaning. Maybe a hint for Sorcery Jokers from 3rdEye?!

It's good to see Dies Irae and WA2 on the rankings. Looks like my multiple surveys got through I'm glad multiple people voted for them.

Romance and science fiction/fantasy took the top spots in the genre question––quite a few of our upcoming announcements fit one or both of those categories, particularly fantasy. Yuri and nukige gained substantial ground this year with otome and BL losing a few points (probably related to the smaller proportion of women responding this year).

Fantasy. This would give more legitimacy to them releasing Aiyoku No Eustia, but I don't know if Conjueror and Gare's secret project is being released with Mangagamer or not.

9 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

Fantasy. This would give more legitimacy to them releasing Aiyoku No Eustia, but I don't know if Conjueror and Gare's secret project is being released with Mangagamer or not.

Unfortunately (for me) it'll be most likley a Rance title. :(

Nice to see Dies Irae/Baldr/WA2/Eustia/Rance in TOP10, a bit sad that Eushully/tone work's didn't make it.

22 minutes ago, Good_Haro said:

We actually announced Umineko last year!

Will I get some kind of prize for guessing right?

Shinkyoku Soukai Polyphonica

ears = music

spirits = well, spirits?

double = hmm, could be a combo, spirit + human or it could refer to different VN

Also, it's all-ages + episodic = nice sales on Steam.

The word spirit gave it away :P

PS. Don't need to thank me for announcing it first ^^'

I like how MangaGamer staff now hang out on Fuwanovel since their forums imploded (again).

19 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

The top ten don't look so bad overall, but having a rape nukige series on first place and a yuri nukige series on third place is a bit sad.

I don't think of the Rance series as nukige.  Sengoku Rance certainly wasn't.  The lure of Rance games is the gameplay, not the sexual content.  The H-scenes aren't even voiced.  For most nukige, that would be the kiss of death.

2 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

Unfortunately (for me) it'll be most likley a Rance title. :(

Is this talking about the secret project or the fantasy statement?

6 minutes ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

I'll take a wild guess and hope for Evenicle as one of the announcements. Unlikely, but not out of the realm of possibilty, and matches a lot of the conditions.

I wouldn't mind if Evenicle was announced, but there are quite a few VNs that I want before that one.

I don't think any of the hints would relate to Alicesoft titles considering BBH has only been out for a few days and BBH was supposed to serve as a test for whether their other titles would get licensed. Doesn't mean it's impossible they already decided, perhaps based on pre-order numbers, but it seems unlikely.

My personal guess would be Maggot Baits is one of the titles hinted at. It's tagged as Fantasy on vndb, the heroines all have animal ears or similar features and it's in HD - 16:10, strangely enough. There's certainly a healthy dose of wishful thinking in there, though. Which is why I'll just not try to guess at any more titles...

Just now, KuroganeHomura said:

I don't think any of the hints would relate to Alicesoft titles considering BBH has only been out for a few days and BBH was supposed to serve as a test for whether their other titles would get licensed. Doesn't mean it's impossible they already decided, perhaps based on pre-order numbers, but it seems unlikely.

My personal guess would be Maggot Baits is one of the titles hinted at. It's tagged as Fantasy on vndb, the heroines all have animal ears or similar features and it's in HD - 16:10, strangely enough. There's certainly a healthy dose of wishful thinking in there, though. Which is why I'll just not try to guess at any more titles...

If it was out a bit longer in Japan, I'd completely agree with you. I'd like to imagine Euphoria did pretty well for MG. 

Bah, only one of my picks were on the top 10. While admittedly I got my start reading VNs on steam. I'd prefer DRM-free releases available elsewhere. Not that complaining will change anything, I'm sure steam is the best selling platform for them, and they'll probably sell even more that way now that steam keys aren't a thing. Meaning a trend to all-ages.

10 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

I don't think of the Rance series as nukige.  Sengoku Rance certainly wasn't.  The lure of Rance games is the gameplay, not the sexual content.  The H-scenes aren't even voiced.  For most nukige, that would be the kiss of death.

Yeah, I know the gameplay of the Rance titles is supposed to be one of the best, but it's still full of rape... :amane:

10 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

Is this talking about the secret project or the fantasy statement?

The fantasy statement.

4 minutes ago, solidbatman said:

If it was out a bit longer in Japan, I'd completely agree with you. I'd like to imagine Euphoria did pretty well for MG. 

I'm not sure how big a factor that is anymore considering Key announced they'd release one of their titles in English first, even (unless my memory is fucked there). Plus, translating the game is going to take time. Even if they licensed it now, it wouldn't be out before 2017 at least.

And one more, I recall a number of MG staff were talking about MB on twitter a fair bit before it got released, but I don't remember them really talking about it again at all after that. Well, that would be consistent with either it getting licensed or not living up to expectations, but I'd like to think it's not the latter considering the game is pretty great.

But I could also be entirely wrong, obviously.

7 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

Yeah, I know the gameplay of the Rance titles is supposed to be one of the best, but it's still full of rape... :amane:

The fantasy statement.

There's eroge, and then there's rape fetish eroge.  The Rance series are not rape fetish games.  They have what I'd term "victory sex"--sex awarded for accomplishing gameplay goals.  Lumping together games with "comedy rape" with games centered around mindbreak and sexual slavery seems pretty weird to me.  Eushully's titles are actually far more brutal with their rape scenes.

20 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

There's eroge, and then there's rape fetish eroge.  The Rance series are not rape fetish games.  They have what I'd term "victory sex"--sex awarded for accomplishing gameplay goals.  Lumping together games with "comedy rape" with games centered around mindbreak and sexual slavery seems pretty weird to me.  Eushully's titles are actually far more brutal with their rape scenes.

I won't deny that it's certainly more on the comedy rape side. I don't complain that it's in the top ten, but having it on first place is a bit much.

And I certainly prefer a Rance on first place a million times over having something as violent as Maggot Baits in the top ten.

1 hour ago, VirginSmasher said:

they´ve already stated that the "secret" stuff is beeing done for the jp dev directly, as for the way of distributing it...who knows at this point...

Rance and Baldr Sky 1 and 2 and Shin Koihime also in the top ten. 3 gameplay titles :) 

This year's new option, translation quality, being seemingly a minor concern for most coming in at 6th place beneath the presence of erotic content, and preferred relationship types.

It's good to know 'which relationship types are present' is more important than if the thing was TL'd competently. I'm surprised 'which fetish types are present' didn't nudge TL quality down to 7th, but maybe that wasn't an option this year ...