japanese is so hard

Silvz

The bad news is that learning hiragana is the easiest part by far.

The good news it that you're not likely to be able to recognize them all by doing a single class. I suggest doing a little daily training to learn them (if you want a help tool there are tons of apps and websites and shit out there), it can be done in under a week, two-three weeks if you're lazy.

Don't worry, it gets better.

There is a lot to wrap your head around, but it's not as hard as it seems. It takes a very large amount of time, yes, but its not THAT hard, especially the basics. 

Once you know the Kana and you are able to recognize words it will be a big confidence boost. Until then, just stick with it my friend!

As Down said, the kana can be done in like a week. I recommend using this for training outside classes: https://quizlet.com/47772/katakana-practice-flash-cards/

Its possible thats just for the katakana, but there are similar sites for the hiragana as well. Flash cards is a great way to practice.

I spent two weeks learning hiragana & katakana by writing them, adding 5-15 new ones every day while also revising the previous ones. Only after that did I realise it could've been done much faster. Can't even write kana now because I never practiced since then, but it may have upped my reading speed.

I know people who ended up remembering Japanese words by the way they look instead of actually reading kana, so don't jump into vocabulary just yet.

Write down several of the rows over and over and over again, saying the pronunciations to go with the characters, and once you have those rows down, move on to the next ones.  I had a hard time memorizing hiragana and now I have them all down.  It's just repetition until you can get it all down.

I know I won't get them with only one class, but I still felt scared seeing all of them in just one page, some of them being very different from everything I know. Even Latin is easier :c

I'll practice, it was my first move into learning japanese, but you have to admit it is hard :<

I've only started studying last month and it took me about a week to completely get Hiragana down. Then again, I have a photographic memory so the best way for me to learn was to continuously quiz myself for about two weeks until I understood them. If you keep either writing or reading them often, you'll get them eventually.

がんばれ :sachi:

Am I seriously the only one who managed to learn these by introducing them 5 at a time by consonant via SRS over the course of 2 hours? Ie memorizing あ え い お う then  か け き こ く etc. then mashing them together? Anki is excellent for stuff like this, though realkana does it well too for literally just the kana and not kanji.  

As a tip though, for me who just came back after memorizing them last year and forgetting about half of them, if you are doing flash cards for the kanji/vocab (I'm doing it via Anki), make sure it's entirely in Japanese except for the actual meaning of the word. The constant lookup of what を might be will ingrain it into your head faster than flash cards because you are actually using it. By the same token, I'll assume you are doing it in class anyway, be sure to be using any vocab you do learn in some way, either by textbook example problems or by reading entertainment with some kind of dictionary.  Reinforcement is the only way you will actually learn anything, and otherwise it's just isolated factoidal knowledge that can't actually be used.

がんばれ!

1 hour ago, sanahtlig said:

First-year college Japanese is the hardest course series I ever took.  And I'm working on a graduate degree.

Nothing will compare to my High school Chinese classes in terms of difficulty. How intense was it? Within the first month she made each student sign a contract telling us that she would no longer use any English in the class, and that any English she heard us speaking would result in a 1 point deduction from our overall grade. Meaning after the first month, the class became 100% immersive. She explained all new grammar, vocab, etc in Chinese. She would tell us when assignments were due, quickly in Chinese. On top of that, a typical homework assignment was writing a page length of stuff in Chinese each day. This bitch was crazy. Hell, I think this class was probably harder than most College level Chinese classes. Needless to say, my Japanese classes are very reasonable compared to my one other language learning experience. 

2 hours ago, Silvz said:

I had my first class ever today and I already hate hiragana. I only can identify three of them, and I still have to learn the other stuff

How do u people learn this

You just need to keep practicing, and eventually you'll get it. It's really tricky and takes a lot of work, but it's very rewarding. Like anything else, if you keep working on it, you'll definitely get better :sachi: Just be patient.

がんばれ~!:mare:

頑張ってください!!

The amazing thing is that you won't probably understand anything now but after a few months you will and the satisfaction of understanding even a simple sentence is really gratifican, just take it easy, learning the kana(hiragana and katakana) takes you around 1 or 2 weeks and even if it takes you more dont give up you will make it

6 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

I learned all 2136 joyo kanji in 2 days while trekking the himalaya, I did practice the strokes on the snow, so I kinda cheated there me bad..

This is a clear case of cabin fever induced by the constant whiteness of the snowstorm you lived in for a couple months.  Please see a doctor, you might have frostbite.

The way I learned them is I just copied them down in order, i.e. あえいうおかけきくこ(ry on one page of a notebook, then turned the page and wrote them down again, this time from memory, looking up the ones I couldn't remember. Once I could mostly write them down without looking up more than a few, I started writing them down in different orders, i.e. あかさたなはまやらわん and the reverse for both. It doesn't really take that much concentration to learn them this way, so I used to do that during boring classes that didn't require much attention. Just write them down again and again and again and(ry

Then once you've got Hiragana down, do the same for Katakana. It's really not in any way hard, it just takes a little bit of time.

As for Japanese in general, my experience has been that the main difficulty is getting the hang of how the grammar works on a basic level. Once you've got that down, the rest goes down pretty smoothly. http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/ Just take some time every day to learn grammar.