$10 For A Game Where You Only Have One Life (Literally)

Nosebleed

We all know the permanent death mechanic in games where if you die, you have to start everything all over again.
This mechanic is usually put in place to make you more wary of your in-game choices and increases your sense of survival.

But now something new is here to "augment" the permanent death experience. I guess you can call it the permanent permanent death.
Once you die in the game, you can never play again. Ever.

Yes, I'm not joking, this is the premise behind the upcoming (well, it's still on Greenlight) Steam title One Life.
The game will cost $9.99 and once you die in the game, you will never be able to play the game again from that Steam account.
I might be crazy here, but I don't think these people understand that "permanent death" was never meant to be taken quite this literally.
I would dare to call this game a horrible attempt at scamming people, it's like playing those old arcade games... except it costs 10 dollars instead of 50 cents.
The game is trying to sell this "every choice matters" gimmick, but it's honestly so terribly cheesy I think the developers might have been doing drugs when they came up with it.

Here's the game trailer if you're interested:

And the Steam Greenlight page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=534994203

Thoughts?

I'm mostly disappointed by the fact that this just reeks of your standard FPS survival games (as if we don't have enough of those on Steam already), yet it's trying to push this "ultimate experience" through this awful game mechanic.

But while I do think the gimmick is stupid (come on, locking you out of a game you pay for?), I wouldn't completely discard something like a 1 day ban if the game didn't cost 10 bucks AND wasn't a generic looking FPS.

I would not pay 10 bucks for a game where you die once and its game over...One life game...reminds me of arcade games, but those don't cost 10 bucks to play every time, so if the price was cheaper, i would buy it, and if I die, money thrown,just like at the arcade, you pay and play for however long you can, but not for the price of 10 bucks.

This would be a marginally less terrible idea if it were less easy to die than getting shot with a gun.

On a slightly irrelevant note, watching this video has caused me to question where they find so many announcers who have that same exact voice. Or is there one guy who spends every waking minute of the day announcing an incalculable number of things in various forms of media?

Anyway, this idea sucks. :sleep:

There are two types of video game creators, there are the type looking to entertain the consumer, and then there are the type looking to create 'art' and to 'channel experiences' to the consumer. This looks to be from the latter. The arty creator will try and be innovative, and original, and creative, and give the audience something new, and hardly any of these ideas will last more than a couple of months because they usually rely on gimmicks to get the job done.

Oh look, a perma-death gimmick, this is my impressed face...

Edited by Rooke
Reason for editing:... You know, nosiness is a vice

i think its a good game and the only FPS to ever consider the 1 life. as you guys/girls know the whole FPS has been always to respawn to win, this made many gamers forget that real humans die in 2 or 4 gun shots (headshots are a myth). this will bring a new outlook on FPS and this will make many conder what a real FPS is really about.

I think the idea of a regular permadeath open world zombie survival game where there is actually a plot and a decent story, but you only get as far as you can without dying, is really cool. You could change decisions you made before to benefit you more, like not taking certain hostages, not raiding a certain area, etc. But perma-permadeath is just going too far, especially for a $10 game.

The main problem with this game is how shitty it looks. The basic gunplay simply looks bad. The generic zombie enemies and look bad. And they're trying too hard to be edgy. Really, you can piss on people? Postal 2 did that a decade ago and it stopped being funny after fifteen minutes.

I like the craziness of it. IIRC Kojima wanted to make a game where if you died the disc or cartridge would just stop working or something, that sounded crazy enough to try. This game however does not look too hot and seems kinda high in price. 

I like the craziness of it. IIRC Kojima wanted to make a game where if you died the disc or cartridge would just stop working or something, that sounded crazy enough to try. 

You don’t have to wait for Kojima to code this for you, you can give this radical system a go any time you wish. Take a game from your extensive (or otherwise) video game collection -> insert disc into console -> play game until you inevitably cock up and die -> eject disc -> grab hammer -> pound fanatically. Voila, one Kojima style Perma-death game. What fun!

The lack of people actually doing this indicates that such a system would have little lasting appeal within the gaming community... that or people actually do rely on technology to do every little thing for them.

After seeing many multiplayer games die slow deaths because of a dying, crumbling player base it is interesting to see a game that have decided to quite literally kill it off. 

I mean do they expect people to keep buying the game over and over? Because soon there will be no one left to play against.