What are you playing?

I spent most of my free time yesterday working my way through Demonbane. I'm on chapter 7, which I -think- has split into Ruri's route by now, but I'm not 100% certain since this is my first playthrough. I'm really, really, really, really digging it in a few different ways The verbose style of writing and action sequences is a refreshing change of pace coming off of reading Hoshimemo, the setting is undeniably cool (there's no leeway here; it's impossible not to think it's cool), and (with a little tinge of recency bias) the soundtrack is among the best out of all the VNs I've read. It fits so well, with some of the tracks having a thematic 'otherness' that really nails the Lovecraftian aspects of the story.

So with my interest being captured by Demonbane at the moment, I'm temporary stalling Hoshimemo for the time being. I normally don't like to start a new VN when I'm in the middle of reading another one, but reading the common route + 3 routes of Hoshimemo back-to-back got a little mind numbing and had me craving something that wasn't so slice of life or cute.

My thoughts on Demonbane so far:

Chapter 1 & 2: Good. Interesting set up, really liked the way Grand Master Therion is introduced in the prologue as well as chapter 2 - the whole 'lightless gold' thing was striking. Maybe could use a little more collateral damage to better incentivize and make Kurou's call to action a little more believable. I never liked in how some giant robot stories there's never any collateral damage because everyone's been evacuated already during the spontaneous giant robot battle. I guess you can't be a hero of justice otherwise, though.

Chapter 3-5: Honestly, kinda bored me. I'm not opposed to an episodic, monster-of-the-week focus in a story, but having Dr, West appear every. single. time. got old immediately. Also the pacing felt off during the training in chapter 3.

Chapter 6: The story really picked back up here for me. Action got real exciting again with a couple of fresh villains. Also, an immortal zombie clown trying to rape a heroine with his magically infused tentacle-intestines really brought the story from the zany Dr. West crap in the previous 3 chapters back into the realm of macabre and 'otherness'

On chapter 7 now, the whole mystery at the beach resort premise seems like it'll hold my interest where chapter 6 left off.

Aboard the hype train!

9f789b22a8.jpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2meta4me :sachi:

Still making my way through 素晴らしき日々(SubaHibi).

I am still in It's My Own Invention... and I was beginning to wonder if I was near the end of it.

I then realized that there are over 17k lines in this portion of the VN.

Sadly... I don't think I am going to meet my goal of finishing SubaHibi on the 20th. I knew I should have started it sooner. Q_Q

started playing chusingura´s fd bushi no kodou a few hours ago, cause i need something different right now, after finishing zombie no afureta, which wasnt bad, but abit too short. (wish there were more stories like that though + the visuals looked pretty cool for a doujin, yep). so yeah i turned once more to my beloved souji

Got my first (proper) YU-NO ending.

As recommended by the included walkthrough, I played the Mitsuki/Eriko route first. The game is archaic from the technical side (no backlog, wonky skip options, no way to return to the main menu without saving unless you quit the game, etc.

The story was rather intriguing and the ending got quite hectic. However, I'm rather annoyed by the fact that a SHITTON of technobabble was just thrown around with no explanation whatsoever. The last 60/30 minutes of the game, the game somewhat lost me. I hope the other endings are more explanatory when it comes to technical terms.

The characters were all good. The roster is quite interesting and I'm sure that the upcoming routes will also deliver on that front. The h-scenes were WAY fucking better than I expected. I had a 4-hour playthrough that I ended up scrapping after I accidentally used all my jewels and then got stuck in the infirmary scene with Mitsuki. The jewel concept was liberating but also intimidating especially taking the (from what I have heard) considerably huge length of the VN. Also, the game made you wander around aimlessly/randomly click stuff a bit too often in my opinion. The setting was quite nice and I enjoyed going around Sakaimachi. I hope other routes offer many new settings, however. I always felt rather lost as to when I should use a jewel and when I should not, and I ended up using a walkthrough.

Overall, I am really enjoying this VN despite a few flaws. I'm not going completely crazy over starting a new route though, since the end of the first route wasn't all that engaging (thanks to things going the non-fucking-sense road).

Got my first (proper) YU-NO ending.

Overall, I am really enjoying this VN despite a few flaws. I'm not going completely crazy over starting a new route though, since the end of the first route wasn't all that engaging (thanks to things going the non-fucking-sense road).

yeah eriko is the pinnacle of sexy milfness! & hope you´ll enjoy the other endings, too, cause the real deal starts after it.

Finished chapter 2 in Sharin no Kuni.

The vn really picks up near the end of the first chapter. the characterisation of Sachi and Mana was done splendidly, they really brought out that sisterly feel.

The way chapter 2 ended kinda shows how the rest of the vn is gonna be.

It seems like the vn is gonna follow a branched structure like G-senjou(just estimation as I've yet to get into a route).

And from those flashbacks and random Ken muturings, I'm guessing that the last chapter/part will be Kenichi trying to rescue his onee-chan from where ever she is being held.

Sharin isn't really like G-senjou.  The story is pretty linear; all picking a route does is choose what h-scenes and CGs you will get, as well as a bit of content at the end, if I'm remembering correctly.  The rest of the story is pretty much unaffected, aside from little bits of unique dialogue here and there.  If you pick Sachi's route, you will still have to go through and solve the rest of the girls' problems, even though her part in the story comes first.

Eh, I just call them routes out of habit.  You're right, though, they aren't really routes.

It took me about a week to read through the VN completely once, then about 3-4 days to 100% everything, and I'm a pretty slow VN reader.  Once you've completed the story once, there's not a lot else to do besides skip through everything you've already read to get at the unread text and new CGs.  Still a good read, though, it's just a bit strange with how it presents the "routes".  I do remember Touka and Sachi having a few lines in the other girls' sections that are unique to their "routes", but yeah, other than that, the only real differences are the epilogues and h-scenes.

Regardless of whether or not G-Senjou is overall better than Sharin, I still think Sharin at least has the better plot structure (and I'd argue better overall characterization as well). Because Sharin's plot is for the most part linear, all the characters more or less keep their character development (instead of it disappearing after every branching route like in a lot of other VNs), they play significant roles in the final chapter, and so the story is more cohesive and organized. Can't really say the same for G-Senjou.

Oh so no routes.

Regardless of whether or not G-Senjou is overall better than Sharin, I still think Sharin at least has the better plot structure (and I'd argue better overall characterization as well). Because Sharin's plot is for the most part linear, all the characters more or less keep their character development (instead of it disappearing after every branching route like in a lot of other VNs), they play significant roles in the final chapter, and so the story is more cohesive and organized. Can't really say the same for G-Senjou.

Yeah much of the characters didn't play any significant role in the finale for G-Senjou.

Should be interesting to see how Sharin ends.

Lucia had quite a bit of romance in her route :s Rewrite overall is pretty disappointing though.

Rewrite is NOT romance focused. I think you're disappointed because you're looking for something that isn't the focus of the VN.

Rewrite is NOT romance focused. I think you're disappointed because you're looking for something that isn't the focus of the VN.

No, I wasn't looking for it to be romance-focused. The person I replied to was the one who was disappointed by the lack of romance, not me. I was disappointed from a lot of other stuff in the game  :sachi:  :sachi: