What are you playing?

Sharin no Kuni

It was on my to-read list for a long time.

I got an urge to read it when it was there as one of the options in the vn club, and then decided to read it even though it wasn't chosen.

It's being downloaded now, I shall start it tomorrow.

Is there anything I should know before I start it ?

I don't see any reason to dislike Hanachirasu if you like info-dumps.

Hanachirasu was the last vn I read and I did enjoy it a lot even though I'm pretty much neutral about info-dumps though I do have a bit of interest in sword-fighting so that might be one reason.

The theme of Hanachirasu is pretty dark and the protag especially shows a lot of antagonist-like characteristics. And as down said it has a detailed setting and OST and CGs are good too.

I actually kinda like anti-heroes. I get kinda bored with conventional heroes after a while, since they're so popular, or at least they were. Anti-heroes seem to be all the rage nowadays, or at least in books and TV, anyway. The typical goody-two-shoes protag kinda gets on my nerves after a while, since they're a dime a dozen. I kind of assumed that it would be a lot darker, considering that the whole plot seems to be focused on revenge, and the protag was tagged as engaging in rape on VNDB, but thanks for the heads up.

I didn't read Hanachirasu yet, but it's by the same author as Muramasa.... it has to be great. :wafuu:

If you wanna read it, I'd recommend picking it up before the sale ends and the price goes back to normal. JAST doesn't seem to put stuff on sale very often.

Sharin no Kuni

I got an urge to read it when it was there as one of the options in the vn club, and then decided to read it even though it wasn't chosen.

It's an epic ride, one of my favorites. Don't remember if it's slow at the start as the guy above me mentioned, but if it is, make sure you stick around.

Sharin no Kuni

this is no mandatory but you should chose natsumi because she is the girl that fits with the plot, after finishing that girl you can replay it and watch the little differences with the other girls.

After you are done play Sharin no Kuni, Yuukyuu no Shounenshoujo only the Masaomi's route (it's the fandisc of the novel)

Eh, I don't really think the route order matters that much in Sharin.  I went Sachi -> Touka -> Natsumi -> "Harem" end -> secret heroine and didn't miss out on anything.  I mean, yeah, Natsumi's route is the true route, at least if you go off of the fandisc's Houzuki route, but it's not a mandatory first read.

Like Deep Blue said, if you're gonna read the fandisc, ONLY read the Houzuki route.  The others are pure machine TL'd, and are 100% terrible.  I got headaches just trying to read them.  They're just h-scenes and fluff, anyway.  Some of the h-scenes ruined how I saw the characters in the original, too. 

Mana...why...why did they have to go there...

Eh, I don't really think the route order matters that much in Sharin.  I went Sachi -> Touka -> Natsumi -> "Harem" end -> secret heroine and didn't miss out on anything.  I mean, yeah, Natsumi's route is the true route, at least if you go off of the fandisc's Houzuki route, but it's not a mandatory first read.

Like Deep Blue said, if you're gonna read the fandisc, ONLY read the Houzuki route.  The others are pure machine TL'd, and are 100% terrible.  I got headaches just trying to read them.  They're just h-scenes and fluff, anyway.  Some of the h-scenes ruined how I saw the characters in the original, too. 

Mana...why...why did they have to go there...

well I did say it wasn't mandatory :P but natsumi being the true route makes the more sense the first time you play it, if you don't pick her the ending doesn't make much sense and lets be honest they let you chose the other girls just for the ero-scenes :(

I mean natsumi is holding your hand in the end and she was the love of your life since you were a little boy

About the fandisk, I don't think the problem is with the novel being machine translated, they are plain bad because there is no plot just h-fanservice, is like reading a nukige vn.

when I saw that scene with mana and sachi I was so mad >_>

Ehhh, I guess.  Touka was still my favorite heroine, right after the secret heroine.  Secret heroine best girl, hands down, no questions asked.

Well, yeah, but the other routes are machine TL'd, and quite badly at that.

Okay, so here's the deal with the Sharin FD. Everything that isn't the Houzuki route is machine translation. Someone on 4chan took the TLWiki partial patch and attached shoddy machine translation to it, and released it as a complete patch. I don't consider machine translations when I think about translation patches, so I make the claim that there is no proper complete FD patch and the TLWiki partial patch is the most comprehensive proper patch for that game.

I actually deleted the "complete" patch from VNDB tonight because I want to erase it from people's memories (and VNDB has a no machine translation policy)

That Mana and Sachi threesome made me want to cry.  There was just no reason for it to exist 

:saber:

Hello World is much more renowned and the art style is cute and still holds up imo. But I don't know why JAST passed it over. It's very long so maybe they thought it wasn't worth the effort.

Not only it's very long, it is also one of their oldest titles. It's much less riskier to launch a medium-sized title by Urobuchi than one of the longest VNs of all time written by a nobody no one is familiar with in the western community is familiar with. Not only that but it has a very slow beginning. You'll definitively need to be patient. I wouldn't say it's "much more renowned", though. Its score in EGS is 80, the same as Django. Also it's nothing like Steins;Gate, or any title of the sci;adv series.

On a side note, I've been reading Oretsuba. I'll write my thoughts about it after I finish at least one of Hawk's routes, but it's shaping up to be in my top 3, definitively.

sachi is the best girl :P I mean "I want to go on a date! We’ll play MMORPGS all night long! I want you to confess your love to me by saying ‘let’s grind together, baby!'" <----fucking sachi ftw

but in the novel natsumi makes sense in terms of plot other than that she seems like the most boring girl, she is not bad but compared touka or sachi I don't know...

After reading Moro's, Gakuto's, and Chika's routes, I had fairly low expectations for the other side routes. I mean, they were somewhat enjoyable (except for Moro's), but nowhere near as good as the main routes. But, thankfully, Kazama's route turned out to be about as fun as the main routes. It's the only side route I've read that puts in worthwhile character development, and though it wasn't as interesting as most of the main heroine routes, it still had impact.

I ended up crying at that scene with Kuma at the end. Ah, geez, I wasn't even expecting that to come up, but the bond between him and Kazama made my heart melt a bit (even if it was a short scene). Friendships have always been my weak spot. ;_;

That scene with class 2-S talking down to him was harsh too. I mean, it did pose a challenge to Kazama's recklessness and paved the way for his development, but it was painful seeing him in a depressing state like that. That, and it made for a completely worthwhile ending because of how Kazama was able to betray their expectations. Good stuff! :D

After reading Moro's, Gakuto's, and Chika's routes, I had fairly low expectations for the other side routes. I mean, they were somewhat enjoyable (except for Moro's), but nowhere near as good as the main routes. But, thankfully, Kazama's route turned out to be about as fun as the main routes. It's the only side route I've read that puts in worthwhile character development, and though it wasn't as interesting as most of the main heroine routes, it still had impact.

You didn't like Gakuto's route?  :/  I thought it was one of the better side routes, honestly, aside from Kazama's.  Most of the others were of kinda low quality or were just there for h-scenes, so yeah, I'm not surprised you didn't like them that much.

I love kanon's voice, sadly her route is so so :(

Such a shame.  I loved her character, but her route left so much to be desired.  I thought it was the worst route, actually.  Tsubaki's is quite nice, but it can't hold a candle to her bad end.  That blew me away the first time I read it.  Beside's Amane's bad end from Kajitsu, it's my favorite bad end of all time.

Still playing sukui no serenade..my god is hard to deal with all the rape scenes but I'm going to finish this damn novel >_>

Such a shame.  I loved her character, but her route left so much to be desired.  I thought it was the worst route, actually.  Tsubaki's is quite nice, but it can't hold a candle to her bad end.  That blew me away the first time I read it.  Beside's Amane's bad end from Kajitsu, it's my favorite bad end of all time.

I try to avoid bad endings just for that...I know that bad ending means prob the death of the heroine or her being raped, there is nothing more depressing than that :(

Really?  G-senjou's were good because of how twisted they were.  I'm not one to typically enjoy things like that, but Tsubaki's kinda came out of nowhere for me, and it was pretty high quality.  I usually read them because I like 100%'ing stuff, unless they're so messed up I can't stand reading them, and that hasn't happened yet.

My first impressions of Sharin no Kuni.

The setting and premise is pretty interesting along with the protag but for some reason it feels that him being 'weird' is kinda forced.

Yeah the vn does have a slow start, but it isn't so boring for me to drop it though.

Since the route order doesn't matter much I guess I'll just go with the flow on the first play-through.

I actually kinda like anti-heroes. I get kinda bored with conventional heroes after a while, since they're so popular, or at least they were. Anti-heroes seem to be all the rage nowadays, or at least in books and TV, anyway. The typical goody-two-shoes protag kinda gets on my nerves after a while, since they're a dime a dozen. I kind of assumed that it would be a lot darker, considering that the whole plot seems to be focused on revenge, and the protag was tagged as engaging in rape on VNDB, but thanks for the heads up.

Well I like anti-heroes a lot myself and well the protag being kinda 'evil' was meant to be plus point. 

I started on YU-NO yesterday, just to get a feel for it to decide if I want to read it in the near future. Got me kinda hooked, so it might be a little more near than I was intending.

Also making my way through Isuzu's route in Hoshimemo, but I'm barely 10 minutes in. I have a feeling that I won't find it as frustrating as some people make the route to be, given I'm expecting it.

I started on YU-NO yesterday, just to get a feel for it to decide if I want to read it in the near future. Got me kinda hooked, so it might be a little more near than I was intending.

Also making my way through Isuzu's route in Hoshimemo, but I'm barely 10 minutes in. I have a feeling that I won't find it as frustrating as some people make the route to be, given I'm expecting it.

I was trying to read YU-NO, got a bad end and I'm so frustrated I've not opened the game in a week. For your sanity, use a walkthrough.

Really?  G-senjou's were good because of how twisted they were.  I'm not one to typically enjoy things like that, but Tsubaki's kinda came out of nowhere for me, and it was pretty high quality.  I usually read them because I like 100%'ing stuff, unless they're so messed up I can't stand reading them, and that hasn't happened yet.

they were but for example

seeing how you turned Tsubaki in a slave person it was just sad and I couldn't take it

:P also you rape her