Can you read multiple VNs/routes at once?

Nimbus

2 VNs at a given time is my max. I am currently reading Umineko and Baldr Sky Dive1 at the same time while keeping everything straight.

At one point and time I had 10 VNs on the go... and I ended up stalling them all. I got around to finishing most of them about 2 months ago.

A few years ago I would just read one vn at a time. Now days I read multiple pretty much. Although I don't really read them in parallel on the same day. I might read one vn for a few days, then jump to another. If I am really hyped I might complete a vn every 4 days or so. But normally I tend to have like 5 vn's or so I read on and off.

I am the reverse with normal books. I never read multiple books at the same time. This got me wondering.. Why don't I read multiple books at the same time? It's not like books are a lot longer or necessarily heavier. Honestly some vn's are pretty meaty and damn long as well. Like Baldr sky dive 1 + 2 took me 110 hours lol. (Have fun LinovaA, lol). I can come up with loads of ideas why vn's are different and therefore better for multi reading. But they all feel like excuses lol. I think I'll try to read multiple books at the same time out, wondering what I will react to it.

Anyone who reads multiple normal books at the same time?

A few years ago I would just read one vn at a time. Now days I read multiple pretty much. Although I don't really read them in parallel on the same day. I might read one vn for a few days, then jump to another. If I am really hyped I might complete a vn every 4 days or so. But normally I tend to have like 5 vn's or so I read on and off.

I am the reverse with normal books. I never read multiple books at the same time. This got me wondering.. Why don't I read multiple books at the same time? It's not like books are a lot longer or necessarily heavier. Honestly some vn's are pretty meaty and damn long as well. Like Baldr sky dive 1 + 2 took me 110 hours lol. (Have fun LinovaA, lol). I can come up with loads of ideas why vn's are different and therefore better for multi reading. But they all feel like excuses lol. I think I'll try to read multiple books at the same time out, wondering what I will react to it.

Anyone who reads multiple normal books at the same time?

I prefer to read a book or VN one at a time so as to not break the immersion. I even choose to read EITHER a book or a VN one at a time to keep the immersion. 

The only thing I read in multiple types is my homework subjects... :makina:

For me it's all about the factor of enjoyment. In the beginning I used to read 1 at the time though. But later I found myself starting something that was not as good or fun as I expected, and then I'd start something else next to it.The thing is, I'm kind of a completionist, so I had to finish the one I already started too. I ended up reading the best one first and put the other one on hold, so it's still kind of reading 1 at the time. Nowadays I have one translated title, one untranslated title and in the "worst case" scenario there is something for both on hold. Like at this moment I am reading Totono, I have Grisaia common route and second route in Ley-Line (which is installed on my PC instead of laptop) on hold, and I was reading An Octave Higher (finished it now). Because I'm enjoying Totono a lot (on my laptop) at the moment it keeps me reading, so it automatically put Ley-Line on hold. This means I'm probably going to end up finishing Totono first and finish Ley-Line after before I start anything new.

As for books, I also never start another next to the one I'm reading either. I think the difference between books and VNs is that you can physically see how far you are into the story. There is an estimated reading time for VNs, but reading speed is too variable. With books, independent of your reading speed, you can kind of guess how much longer it will take you to finish it. I can imagine, at least for myself, it makes it easier to finish something before you start something new.

reading more than one @the same time is my common practise. i´m always playing 3-4 simultanously & usually switching between them after finishing a route (or if i reach a point where it kills my mood). of course there might be one i play through in one go, but that has to be a real gem then.

I never read more than 1 VN at once. It kinda ruins my experience of immersion with VN if I try to follow two different stories. However, if I don't feel like finishing VN I will just skip it for a better time and start a new one. (Examples: Chaos;Head, Clannad. Seriously, watching anime adaptation before knowing about VN kinda ruins everything.) The only exception would be RPG VNs. I am fine with reading VN and playing RPG one at the same time.

I'm sure I can, but I never tried and I don't think I'll try that (not yet at least). 

I find that sticking to a single VN enhances the fun, especially if it's one with an immersive story. I've been enjoying all the ones I've played so far with an extreme passion, but I'm sure there will come a time where I've tried all the best ones and will end up with average VN's, and that might be when I'll be hopping from one to another.

What I'm trying to say is, the better the story, the more I'll stick with it. :D

• 11 months later...

So this boils down to two questions: 

1. Do you ever start playing a new VN before you finish your current one? Why or why not?

2. If so, how many VN's do you juggle between and your overall opinion of playing multiple VN's?

As for me, I binged the first Majikoi and then started on Grisaia no Kajitsu, then I was treated to the snoozefest known as the common route (Not saying the common route was bad or anything, just too long), and then proceeded to start on Majikoi S, a few nukiges (Ya know, for science), Koihime Musou, Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort, and then currently back to Majikoi S. I know it sounds like a crazy chain of events but that's just how I roll. So I was just curious as to what everyone else here in this forum has to say about this topic. :D

8 minutes ago, simon4811 said:

1. Do you ever start playing a new VN before you finish your current one? Why or why not?

Let's see, for me it depends how engrosed I am on the first one i started really...If I'm not completely taken by it then I'll most likely pick up a second one and juggle between the two whenever i feel like it (Note that i keep my max of playing vn's at two, that way I can still enjoy them) others may be able to juggle between more but it's not my particular case.

8 minutes ago, simon4811 said:

2. If so, how many VN's do you juggle between and your overall opinion of playing multiple VN's?

As i stated in the previous point I myself am prone to juggle between two vn's if the first one didn't capture me completely and basically i swap and juggle between them as my mood goes or i see fit. (At first Danganronpa hadn't completely caught me so i started Lucy aswell but then i got engrosed on it and Lucy took a background seat for the moment being)

I don't think what you did was crazy seeing how i juggle myself too even if with less Vn's, it comes down to how you like to do things or are able to effectively juggle without losing track or hindering your enjoyment of the vn's your currently playing.

Those are my two cents on the matter :sacchan:

I have a tendency to start several projects at once, yes. I prefer to only play a couple at a time, but it's hard, as I always get bored with a VN at some point, regardless of how good it is. I guess I'm just not too good with doing one singular thing for an extended period of time.

My system now is like this:

1 "normal" VN

1 nukige

1 untranslated VN

At the same time. That way I can read a few different titles, but still keep focusing primarily on one project. The untranslated VN is included in my Japanese practice, so I can consider it something a little bit different from my "normal" VN reading. The nukgie is ... Well, it's a nukige, we all know what that's for :holo:

Currently I'm reading G-senjou no Maou, Imouto Paradise and XX of the dead.