YouTube is Finished

OriginalRen

To whom it may concern on Fuwanovel,

Today I received 2 strikes on my YouTube account for copyright issues regarding my Cocoro@Function! video series. After being reported by someone who watched the videos a week ago telling me they were contacting Pulltop, I had videos removed and my standing in the community tarnished.

Due to this, my YouTube channel is no longer able to upload videos longer than 15 minutes or do anything unique. This essentially ruins every single project I am doing for the site, and as such I am left with nothing. I have submitted an email to the original copyright claim's address in hopes they could retract it, however I doubt they will even bother to respond.

As such, all of my streamed videos have been deleted from my account and all of my video series have been cancelled. That being said, I really don't have much to say and am feeling too rotten to even put my thoughts into words.

Thank you to everyone who sat with me,  Mephisto, and zoom909 for the last 6 months. It was a blast and I am happy it motivated me to do what I do for this website.

That's it. I'm heading to bed for the evening. I have no motivation for trivia updates or posting tonight.

Wow, that's so crappy.  I'm really sorry!  Either Google needs to rein back their oppressive copyright protection (because it's gotten ridiculous at this point), or the companies that actually hold the copyright need to respond more frequently to people asking permission to feature their product/whatever in a video, otherwise the system is broken.  I'd try to raise as big of a stink as possible with as many people that are involved as you possibly can.  That seems to be the only way to get things like that undone.

Row!  Row!  Fight the power!

That's batshit stupid. It's difficult to stomach we still live in a time were certain companies (*cough* Nintendo) are resistant to the concept of Let's Playing. I can understand the view that LPs might take away an incentive to buy solely story-driven games and narrative works like VNs and I know that they're within their rights, but its still a punch to the stomach of the fan communities behind the games.

Your projects add a lot to this forum andI hope you'll continue to enrich the community here with them, Ren. This place wouldn't be the same without all the hard work you put into it.

At the very least it's a good lesson moving forward. To be perfectly honest I don't feel too bummed out about this since the quality we started out with in the cocoro function videos was pretty bad, and it was at most just a pilot test. I think the experience gained is enough, and any future attempts would require contacting the company in question before hand. 

Having the account itself get in to trouble is annoying, but a situation which can be salvaged. 

I'm so sorry to hear that, Ren. You've done some amazing work, and it's disappointing that you've hit this roadblock.

I look forward to seeing where you go next and how you'll choose to engage this setback. You're a smart and creative guy, and I don't see this keeping you down for long. I know I'm not alone when I say that I enjoyed those videos -- they were appreciated by many -- and I can't wait for what comes next.

had this happen with 2 gameplay videos of me playing audiosurf 2 with yui horie songs (silky heart and love countdown) i have since stopped doing videos of audio surf and i no longer label the background music i listen to in my gameplay videos. im pretty sure in my case it falls under fair use but whatever. im sorry you were ratted out and got your rep damaged by this ren . if i can help in any way finding an alternative solution for hosting the videos let me know.

There is actually a way to remove Copyright Strikes.

According to Google/YouTube, remove anything related to what caused the copyright strike to alleviate them. After a certain period of time you will be able to do as normal. As for your reputation, that is something unfix-able unfortunately. Have you tried appealing to YouTube with the "Fair use" policy/parody?

There is actually a way to remove Copyright Strikes.

According to Google/YouTube, remove anything related to what caused the copyright strike to alleviate them. After a certain period of time you will be able to do as normal. As for your reputation, that is something unfix-able unfortunately. Have you tried appealing to YouTube with the "Fair use" policy/parody?

The problem is that as long as the strikes remain active, Ren is not able to use some features like uploading 15+ min long videos or editing thumbnails which are key features for his projects.

He said (on TS) these strikes only expire August next year so waiting is not an option.

Removing the video that was flagged, as stated by YouTube's rules, does not remove the strike.

There are only 2 other possible ways (aside from waiting) to remove strikes, the first is to do what Ren did now which is to contact the person the copyright claim came from and see if they retract them now that he removed his videos.

The third and last one is to use YouTube's appeal system to try and prove everything is okay which basically leaves you in the hands of the system that screwed you over.

Regardless this situation really sucks and i'm deeply sorry it came down to this, some people just don't like when others have fun. I hope, as Mephisto said, that this can also be a learning experience, despite being a really crappy one, to ensure the safety of future projects you may come up with and make sure something like this doesn't happen again. I hope you feel better after some rest and don't hesitate to ask if you need help with anything. Take care.

Regardless of how this is dealt with, it's still a shame.

It happens often too... Anyone remember what happened to NASA's Mars landing? the video was removed due to infringing on the copyright of a small and unknown news group.

Unfortunately, anyone can say something is theirs on YouTube, and it's at no cost to them, even if they are not telling the truth.

have you considered any alternative hosting methods? maybe making a cheap site for it  not sure on this one for pricing of space required for video streaming . or other concerns for traffic. maybe with ads to cover the cost of a domain.

It would be much, much easier to make a new YouTube account and re-upload the videos (which are downloadable).

A crappy occurance, but not a crippling one. The good people of the forums have offered some excellent solutions.

Looking forward to seeing you back on your feet Ren. You're too talented a person to be kept down by something like this.

I second this.

We really appreciate all your work Ren. Don't let yourself down over this it happens. People just don't understand or value your work. But like I said before we Do!

If you need anything just let us know.

well that sucks, yeah youtube's copyright system really is bad.

I know of youtubers that have gotten claims for ''copyrighted'' ingame music.... from company's that don't even own the rights to said music. (gopher)

Youtube really needs to tone down it's opression and get a life.

Not that that is ever goint o happen though.

Hope you find a good solutions that is not to much effort

Wasn't aware people did copyright strikes on non monetised content.

Time to check my videos. Shame about the channel getting hit like that :(

When it comes to primarily story-based content, it's essentially stealing the content (in the eyes of the developer) since there's little to no gameplay or replay-value involved.  To be honest I'm rather surprised it lasted as long as it did without strikes; I'm not surprised the strikes were given but I am disappointed.

Well six months later they will remove 1 strike and next year today you won't have strikes it happened to me too right now my channel has not strikes and I can upload 15+mins videos and choose my thumbnails

I am sure you were giving people nice videos. Time will fix everything. Don't let this get you!

That's what you get for being a true fan of japanese visual novels and spreading the word about games you love. Currently, anyone can report a video on YT for practically anything; it didn't used to be like that in the past, but Google had to comply with various major copyright holders that pushed their claims YT is spreading piracy through their unrestricted video sharing services. That claim you got is preety much absurd, by the way, but I doubt it gets resolved. If it really was someone from Pulltop, they propably don't want to have their games streamed by filthy gajins.

This is unfortunate news to say the least. Also I don't understand in the least what were the intentions of the person that reported Ren's video.

Anyway I hope you can get back on your feet and be the awesome guy that you have shown to be through all your projects.