Clannad to be released on Steam by Sekai Project

solidbatman

Well, regardless of what someone thinks of Clannad, it's definitely a massive title that deserves a fresh translation. Doki is certainly better than the mess the original Clannad was (which is 50% MTL'd in AS), but if Tomo AF is what we have to go off of, I'm not exactly very confident about that either.

I do really hope it's good though.

Fault doesn't already have a translation.

Fault's translation is probably being done by ALICE IN DISSONANCE's writer Munisix, who is a native English speaker who moved to Japan. Yes, really. That said, no matter who translates it they are going to need some amount of pay to live off of or whatever lol. Might be mostly using the money for stretch goals and whatever though...

The one thing they are at least going to translate using professional(?) translators is World End Economica's second and third episodes. There's also the retranslation that was done for Narcissu side 2nd and stuff (wait, is that out yet? I forget...)

Fault doesn't already have a translation.

I was thinking of the original Fault! and its Fault Service! ... turns out to be fault - milestone one- and then there is the second one. Hey, look at the genre .. 'all ages'. Also the second one seems to be an original English release? ........ And no rating on milestone one.

Sekai Project is taking it very easy. Honestly I retract everything positive I said about their release on Grisaia no Kajitsu. All they seem to be doing is picking up the fan translated VNs - easy road guys. The easy road. And put it up on steam and make it 'all ages'.

I was thinking of the original Fault! and its Fault Service! ... turns out to be fault - milestone one- and then there is the second one. Hey, look at the genre .. 'all ages'. Also the second one seems to be an original English release? ........ And no rating on milestone one.

Sekai Project is taking it very easy. Honestly I retract everything positive I said about their release on Grisaia no Kajitsu. All they seem to be doing is picking up the fan translated VNs - easy road guys. The easy road. And put it up on steam and make it 'all ages'.

They're also doing World's End Economica, which has no english translation aside from the first chapter. And as said, even if they use the existing Clannad translation as a base, that is in no way the "easy road." It would probably be easier just to start fresh than to try to polish that turd into a diamond.

Big news :D! I doubt I will have time to read through such a massive VN, but I will still buy the game to show my support :).

I have been wondering about the price for awhile now...

how much do you think it will cost? I'm not expecting anything less than $25 but I don't exactly want it at $60 either.

I have been wondering about the price for awhile now...

how much do you think it will cost? I'm not expecting anything less than $25 but I don't exactly want it at $60 either.

Being a fairly old title, setting it to $60 might be a bit of a challenge. A lot of people on Steam are going to say it is not a game and so should not be on that platform, regardless of what the price is. Clannad is a very, very long road, though, so that would help justify a higher cost. Perhaps $30? I also wonder if they will be doing any Kickstarter funding. Personally, I would be keen to have a physical copy :).

Pretty sure this was my third VN ever, so it has a special place in my heart, regardless of the awful original TL. I kind of thought Key's works would always just be something requested by newbies who didn't know any better and trolls who just did it for a quick laugh- I never thought they would actually be announced. Especially not by a newer company like Sekai Project.

Now, if only they were going to put out a hard copy... maybe someday?

Being a fairly old title, setting it to $60 might be a bit of a challenge. A lot of people on Steam are going to say it is not a game and so should not be on that platform, regardless of what the price is. Clannad is a very, very long road, though, so that would help justify a higher cost. Perhaps $30? I also wonder if they will be doing any Kickstarter funding. Personally, I would be keen to have a physical copy :).

I'm hoping its on the lower side since more people will buy it that way but obviously they have to make a profit.  I think $25-30 would be reasonable but anything lower would be amazing.   I would also be interested in a kick-starter for a physical copy.  

Around $30 is fair priced, but regardless people on Steam will complain. Well, that's the result of a world where graphics matter more than story or gameplay!

Okay, I've calmed myself now.

After getting some sleep, I came to the conclusion that whatever happens, if this works there is a chance to VNs to becoming more popular on the west. It al depends on what happens and the quality of their release.

Hope that Clannad gets a better translation than PSVITA's SAO game had...

--

(only to clarify myself, I played about 80% of clannad in jp, because original copy, thats why I was complaining about the original projects and such on IRC -sure that thing is ded-)

$30 or more? Naw, I quite doubt that. Sekai Project is clearly very generous in that area so far. Their most expensive game is World End Economica at $12.99. Planetarian, another Key game, was recently announced to cost no more than $10. And they released Narcissu and some other game for free.

I'm not an expert on this matter, but if you sell what the average gamer will construe as some reading game at any more than $20, the only people who will buy it are those who are already in the presently niche VN community. Sekai Project is evidently popularizing VNs in the west at a very rapid pace, and I'm sure that they intend to broaden the market. I don't anticipate Japan-level overpriced shizzle any time soon.

$30 or more? Naw, I quite doubt that. Sekai Project is clearly very generous in that area so far. Their most expensive game is World End Economica at $12.99. Planetarian, another Key game, was recently announced to cost no more than $10. And they released Narcissu and some other game for free.

I'm not an expert on this matter, but if you sell what the average gamer will construe as some reading game at any more than $20, the only people who will buy it are those who are already in the presently niche VN community. Sekai Project is evidently popularizing VNs in the west at a very rapid pace, and I'm sure that they intend to broaden the market. I don't anticipate Japan-level overpriced shizzle any time soon.

Oh, was the original Planeterian free? I kind of assumed it would be free on Steam as well. I think Narcissu already had an approved translation so it was probably a smooth port over. Would have gladly paid for that piece of gold, just to clarify ;).

World End Economica Episode 1 is significantly shorter than Clannad (pretty sure that is the case?), so that might be taken into consideration with the pricing. Key games are up there for VN standards in terms of budget, so I would be accepting of a ~$30 price tag. But yeah, we will see :)!

Straight to the heart of things Kimanor! Clannad does have pretty graphics, so many anime fans will automatically buy it just from that.

There are lots of things to way up in terms of pricing. Let’s label these the arguments “for and against the idea of a higher price”:

For – It’s a huge title in the visual novel industry

Against – But is 10 years old

For – It has 1.3 million English words approximately

Against – Baldur’s Gate 2 had a million words also, and came with a complete exploration and combat system

For – Indie Visual Novels sell okay when sold at $15-$20

Against - $60 is approaching the price of brand new, triple AAA releases. Even the Walking Dead only sold for $25.

It's a delicate balance, any higher than $30 will be dangerous imo.

There are lots of things to way up in terms of pricing. Let’s label these the arguments “for and against the idea of a higher price”:

For – It’s a huge title in the visual novel industry

Against – But is 10 years old

For – It has 1.3 million English words approximately

Against – Baldur’s Gate 2 had a million words also, and came with a complete exploration and combat system

For – Indie Visual Novels sell okay when sold at $15-$20

Against - $60 is approaching the price of brand new, triple AAA releases. Even the Walking Dead only sold for $25.

It's a delicate balance, any higher than $30 will be dangerous imo.

Yeah, $30 is where I would set it. I have to say Clannad surely cannot count as an indie game, if there are any thoughts of that. That is rough on the indie devs who are truly on a difficult budget and trying to follow their hearts. I might know a little bit about that :P.

Sekai Project did create a survey earlier asking how much people value physical copies. Hopefully something will come of that~