Clannad to be released on Steam by Sekai Project

solidbatman

You can judge a book by the summery as well you know. :P

Sure can, but the vast majority of people only care about graphics, even if they claim otherwise. I believe firmly that a trash story with amazing CGs will outsell a great story with good CGs. That said, does Clannad's art look bad? I thought they look pretty good~

With the old VS new discussion, I am one of the oddballs who would get more excited for older games :P.

Wow, how come there is suddenly some hate toward Little Busters :o? I thought the entire world thinks that is the greatest story ever written XD~

Define "good" graphics. Is it the overall quality, resolution or hardware limitations? It's really hard to tell. For a lot of people, modern games like Bishoujo Mangekyou, Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete, Supipara or Both Qualia are what they consider high quality art. Will it mean older games like YU-NO, Kakyuusei, Mugen Houyou or even Sayonara wo Oshiete will be considered far worse in terms of graphics? A lot of people actually won't be even able to make the comparison. They will state old games have bad art and whole discussion will end, while a lot of older enthusiasts, including myself are clear it's impossible to even compare NEC graphics with modern high resolution art, which sports millions of colors. I still hold the overall graphics from PC-88/98 in high regard, since artists had to abide by tremendous limitations and yet managed to deliver such crisp and good looking art.

On the other hand, it's not just a matter of art, but more a matter of boobs dressed up in good art for the game to sell, even despite it might have little to no actual story (vide Sakura Spirit).

Wow, how come there is suddenly some hate toward Little Busters :o? I thought the entire world thinks that is the greatest story ever written XD~

That's the actual issue. A lot of people thinks LB is the holy grail of the japanese vn industry, while the game itself (although quite decent) does not offer anything unusual except your standard Key fare. I can easily bet my waifu LB wouldn't be even half as popular, if not for the Kud. And that's another major issue, especially with western visual novel fans. One, which makes me dislike most of the western community a lot.

I agree with what IceD said above.

I'm very limited in my exposure, but I adore the graphics on games like YU-NO and the older Alicesoft games. It's not for the same technical appreciation, but there's a certain quality about it that I can't exactly put my finger on that I find charming. I personally don't find Key's art style too appealing, but I wouldn't go as far as call it ugly. It is a look that simply took me some time to get used to.

It is something that will affect who the game will be able to reach though. It's not too off to assume that the general steam user with no interest in the medium or anyone with a limited interest might make a sweeping conclusion and pass over a title due to what might be commonly perceived as ugly or low quality artwork.

Define "good" graphics. Is it the overall quality, resolution or hardware limitations? It's really hard to tell. For a lot of people, modern games like Bishoujo Mangekyou, Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete, Supipara or Both Qualia are what they consider high quality art. Will it mean older games like YU-NO, Kakyuusei, Mugen Houyou or even Sayonara wo Oshiete will be considered far worse in terms of graphics? A lot of people actually won't be even able to make the comparison. They will state old games have bad art and whole discussion will end, while a lot of older enthusiasts, including myself are clear it's impossible to even compare NEC graphics with modern high resolution art, which sports millions of colors. I still hold the overall graphics from PC-88/98 in high regard, since artists had to abide by tremendous limitations and yet managed to deliver such crisp and good looking art.

On the other hand, it's not just a matter of art, but more a matter of boobs dressed up in good art for the game to sell, even despite it might have little to no actual story (vide Sakura Spirit).

That's the actual issue. A lot of people thinks LB is the holy grail of the japanese vn industry, while the game itself (although quite decent) does not offer anything unusual except your standard Key fare. I can easily bet my waifu LB wouldn't be even half as popular, if not for the Kud. And that's another major issue, especially with western visual novel fans. One, which makes me dislike most of the western community a lot.

Kud? Kurugaya is where it's at, though B-).

Yeah, it has come to my attention that Kud seems to be really popular among several communities. I think there is an 18+ title that has her as the main character? That, I must say, is quite a shock and I will not be looking up the CGs for that game :P.

Many regard Little Busters as the best Key game. That at least shows people know better than to just obsess over the latest titles. If people can still love LB more even though, say, Rewrite, has a funkier trailer and arguably prettier art, etc, that is cool in my books.

• 2 weeks later...

They might just be misleading, though. The main problem I see with this statement is that it's hidden on a comparatively obscure tumblr response, when news of the doki team completely throwing out the baka-tsuki translation should have been front and center from the start. It's possible this is just PR incompetence, or that it was a recent decision made by the doki team. The opacity of the whole process that doki's been maintaining all along really isn't helping...

Dovac and Sekai Project love to play the "hide as much information as possible in order to slowly string people along" game which is the wrong way to play your cards when there are heavy justified concerns regarding the potential quality of your work. They should have been out there on the day of the announcement informing people of what's happening with the project in order to avoid backlash, but SP doesn't seem to get this and then Dovac gets angsty on twitter when people just don't understand. It's hard to understand you when you say almost nothing at all.

Dovac made a tweet recently where he said something along the lines of "It's hard to give interviews because either you give too little information or people start to figure things out." How would that be a bad thing??? Your biggest PR problem is that nobody is figuring out the positive aspects of your projects and everyone is assuming the worst.