Do people actually say "Happy Christmas"?

Shikomizue

2 minutes ago, Decay said:

Do you see a SarcMark™? Then obviously it's not sarcasm. I mean, when have I ever been known to troll people? :makina:

I don't even know what a "SarcMark" is, but judging from the structure of your first comment, it seems to me that you're being sarcastic, because you can't possibly know that every person says Merry Christmas.

Boom, analyzed. Or common sense, whichever.

If you're in Britain you may hear people wishing others a 'Happy Christmas'. Like the Queen for example. If you're in America you'll only hear 'Merry Christmas'. Harry Potter is a British book, so it'll contain British sayings and words (although in the books many were wiped out when the books were localised for the American audience. You don't see the word 'skip' in the American versions.) 

6 minutes ago, Darklord Rooke said:

And anyway ‘happy’ is more proper than ‘merry’. ‘Merry’ is what people become when they get drunk ... forshame America :P 

Took the words out of my mouth.
Except I'd have been more derogatory towards America for no particular reason.

Just now, UnlimitedMoeWorks said:

Actually, I haven't heard anyone say "Happy Christmas!" It's mostly "Happy Holidays!" because the former sounds weird.

Happy Holidays is what people say when they're being sensitive to the fact that not everybody celebrates Christmas. And it's 'Happy Holidays' and not 'Merry Holidays' because the latter is just being blatantly ... alcoholic xD

... Okay I'll stop now :P 

6 hours ago, Darklord Rooke said:

And anyway ‘happy’ is more proper than ‘merry’. ‘Merry’ is what people become when they get drunk ... forshame America :P 

Like I need to copy my entire language from a people who use the word "pants" to mean "underwear" and "trousers" to mean "pants."

Generally speaking, I mostly hear "Merry Christmas." I tend to say "Happy Holidays" myself.

Also, Happy Fucking Festivus to all you filthy weebs.

"Merry Christmas" was probably made popular by the song that wished that, "and a happy New Year". So as to avoid the same word twice.

There's nothing inherently wrong with wishing a "happy Christmas". Christmas can be happy indeed.

Oh, and frohe Weihnachten.

Edited by Okarin