IPB 4 Upgrade (Important)

Tay

Hey everybody,

Important head's up: we will be upgrading to a new version of our forums software (IPB 4) in the very near future, hopefully before the end of the week. Invision will be assisting us with the upgrade, so we can all feel better knowing we're in good hands.

Stuff You should know:

• Some users' have a different log-in name than their public-facing forums display name. After the upgrade those two will be merged together, and you'll simply log-in with your display name (the name that was public-facing before the upgrade).

• IPB 4 can't utilize our current themes, so when the upgrade happens all our current themes will be scrapped. After the upgrade I'll start the process of uploading the new versions of the FuwaFabulous and Dark themes, but unfortunately Gravity Green 2013 is no longer supported by the Dev and will not be making the transition with us. We will absolutely take time to mourn its passing after the upgrade is complete.

• If you're making a meaty post, please write it offline in a word editor and then copy-paste it into the forums until the upgrade has been completed. I can't be sure we'll get much warning before Invision launches the upgrade process, and if you were to click "submit" on a big post just after the upgrade started, you'd lose your whole post.

• If I get a firm date of when they'll be performing the update, I'll let you know ASAP. As it stands, it could come at any moment of any day. Therefore: please take great pains to panic and form roving bands of discontent in the streets.

What other questions do you have for me about the upgrade before we get this thing kicked off?

------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Answers to Questions:

1. Are we at risk of data loss? Another "rollback" catastrophe? 

A: There IS a risk, yes, that something could go wrong during the upgrade. With forums of our size, the best thing we can do is make backups regularly to minimize the loss we'd face in the worst-case scenario. Thus, I made full backups (database AND files) on both 10/5 and today 10/7.

I will continue to make at least one backup each day from now until the upgrade is successfully completed. I hated the data loss we experienced with the two big "rollbacks" this Summer, and I want to mitigate as much of that risk as possible. 

2. How will themes change in IPB 4? Can we make our own? What about re-creating Gravity Green?

A: The software on the back-end of the forums is changing substantially, so a bunch of new functionality will require new/modified assets. Additionally, IPB 4 is responsive, so you'll get a much improved experience on any size of device. It may even be enjoyable to surf this place on your flip phones circa 2005. I don't know that for sure, so don't quote me on that. Smartphones and tablets, tho, will be several times better to navigate on the new themes, though.

As far as making themes goes... Invision has guides for how to do that (I'm the wrong person to talk about the technical side of themes), so if you want to check out their site and learn the ropes... go for it!

Remaking GG: by doing so we'd run the risk of getting in trouble with the Gravity Green theme's developer (who, it so happens, makes all our other themes) (I like them, and I'm not really looking for a blood feud atm). If there are talented coders who want to try their hands at it, however, I can help you get in touch with them. They're the ones who would make that call.

EDIT 10/08/2015 5:10 PM EST

Invision is working to upgrade the site. We ran into a small issue, but we updated a driver and we think it'll solve the problem. Suffice it to say that this may be a touch-and-go operation.... so hold onto your bootstraps.

EDIT 10/08/2015 5:47 PM EST

We patched the software ~5 minutes after we had the first problem, but I haven't heard back from Invision, yet. I'm really hoping they haven't gone home for the night, but if they did, I suppose they'll give this another go sometime tomorrow. That said, the support staff have been fabulous to us. All things considered, they're doing a great job.

unfortunately Gravity Green 2013 is no longer supported by the Dev and will not be making the transition with us.

Can't we submit our own skins/themes?

If we can, i bet some people are willing to make a new and improved version of Gravity Green.

Either way, i'd like to contribute with some, if that is allowed.

Also the notifications plugin doesn't work right with the other, shittier, themes, so it looks like I would have had to fix it again if I were staying :amane:

Though now that I think about it, it'd probably break regardless due to the software change and all

Can't we submit our own skins/themes?

If we can, i bet some people are willing to make a new and improved version of Gravity Green.

Either way, i'd like to contribute with some, if that is allowed.

Added this question to the OP and tried to answer it. Let me know if you want clarifications : ).

2. How will themes change in IPB 4? Can we make our own? What about re-creating Gravity Green?

A: The software on the back-end of the forums is changing substantially, so a bunch of new functionality will require new/modified assets. Additionally, IPB 4 is responsive, so you'll get a much improved experience on any size of device. It may even be enjoyable to surf this place on your flip phones circa 2005. I don't know that for sure, so don't quote me on that. Smartphones and tablets, tho, will be several times better to navigate on the new themes, though.

As far as making themes goes... Invision has guides for how to do that (I'm the wrong person to talk about the technical side of themes), so if you want to check out their site and learn the ropes... go for it!

Remaking GG: by doing so we'd run the risk of getting in trouble with the Gravity Green theme's developer (who, it so happens, makes all our other themes) (I like them, and I'm not really looking for a blood feud atm). If there are talented coders who want to try their hands at it, however, I can help you get in touch with them. They're the ones who would make that call.

I couldn't remember which one was Gravity Green at first. Though I don't use it any more (fabulously purple atm), it will surely be missed.

What type of advantages will we be seeing with a new forum update? Anything not possible with our current version that will be possible with the new version?

Also, totally sticking with Gravity Green now until the end. Who's with me??