What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

Do you trudge through the pdf notes after each episodes?

I don't thing I've seen such a reference-heavy show before, besides Nyarko-san (that probably tops it) and SZS.

I believe it's the first of Shinbo's works where he puts forth his style. Except maybe the Cosette OVAs.

The pdf notes only start on episode 11 and i'm still not that far in.

They have a bunch of notes for the references on the episode itself and I pause to read them though.

Started Maken-Ki, but I don't know if I'll go past the first chapter (seeing the unlimited pantyshot works gave me a bad feeling, alongside the seemingly useless main character).

I also started OreShura, thinking it would be just like Maken-Ki, but it feels kinda like Nisekoi and I like the comedy so far o:

Well I just finished watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Rebellion(what a mouthful).  I'm still trying to decide whether I like it or not.

It's not truly bad like Darker than Black's sequel was, but...  I don't know.  It bothers me, and maybe it's supposed to.  It's obviously not the end of the story, so I can't really judge it as a complete work, but...  I really just don't know.  

I'm pretty sure I understand it.  I'm just not sure if I like it.  I really don't think it was necessary.  Finishing PMMM felt kind of like finishing the first season of Heroes.  It was complete.  

But still, I can't say that I dislike Rebellion.  Not yet at least.  I think it really mostly boils down to it ending on a cliffhanger like it did.  Given how satisfying the end of PMMM was, Rebellion's can't help but seem off putting in comparison.

I've thought quite a lot about the Rebellion movie, but it's still hard to determine to what extent I like it.

It's obviously good on some aspects, especially for the first half or so. The end is a bit more tricky. I'm not sure I like it, especially that cliffhanger thing with Shinbo screaming at you "yep there's another one coming, milking isn't over yet". But there are also lots of interesting stuff in it.

Also people draw absurd parallels with things like magical-girl themes/deconstruction (that, I know is wrong for sure), Nietzsche (mostly wrong, but I haven't read all of Nietzsche) and Freud (pretty sure those Fort Da are just there for the lulz, but I haven't read Freud). That bugs me, I don't know if it's Shinbo or Urobuchi (probably both) but it all comes from that meaningless showing-off. 

Rebellion as a standalone is a downgrade from the series in my opinion. I think it can only be fully judged after its sequel come out, which it has to because if it doesn't then jesus christ what did I just watch.

I believe that the whole thing boiled down to:

Homura being the personification of selfishness and Madoka being the personification of selflessness.

I believe in the next movie they're going to battle it off.

But yeah the ending with 

yet another resetting timeline

felt like a huge asspull.

I watched the movies after watching the series so I could see the differences, and right now, the best I can come up with is that I would probably have felt the same if I had only watched the first movie.  Well maybe not exactly the same, since I wouldn't have a prior complete work to compare it to, but the feeling would be similar at least.

Speaking of the movies, for those that have watched them:

What is you opinion on them?  I thought they held up for the most part, but I really think that pulling the initial flashback/dream sequence lessened the impact the same scene had in Homura's backstory scene.  I think that if I were to introduce a friend to the show, I'd probably have them watch the series instead of the movie for that reason alone.