A love for things other than people

InvertMouse

Hopefully people will not find this weird, but here goes :P.

People get into relationships, then they marry. We are obviously capable of having love for one another. But what about other things?

For me, I find myself deeply loving places. Usually, places I visit alone on holidays. I would arrive, get lost, then gradually become familiar with the area until I know my way around every street. That to me feels like spending time to know a person.

After returning home, I find myself obsessively looking at the place I visited on Google Street View, YouTube, etc. Many people want to visit new places all the time. For me, I desperately want to relive memories that I found enjoyable.

Recently, I got to revisit Melbourne to attend PAX. I recorded gigs of footage to ensure I will leave with no regrets. The whole time, I wore a stupid grin and skipped along the streets. Not tourist attractions, but simply soaking in that daily lifestyle. Love it so much.

I get similar feelings when I return to suburbs where I used to live. It brings me so much bliss that other people say they are unable to relate.

I also love storywriting and game development to a point where I have no interest in relationships, even though I am approaching 30. If that is all I do in my lifetime, I am delighted with that. My mind might change later, of course. For now, I want to devote everything to a craft I care deeply about.

Thanks for reading until the end XD. I have read stories of people wanting to marry their car tires, or a bridge, etc. By no means have I reached that extreme, but yeah. If anyone has experiences they wish to share, I will be happy to read about them!

I also love storywriting and game development to a point where I have no interest in relationships, even though I am approaching 30. If that is all I do in my lifetime, I am delighted with that. My mind might change later, of course. For now, I want to devote everything to a craft I care deeply about.

I think that's very cool that you're so passionate about it^^  It's a good thing.

I'm not sure if I feel like that towards anything.  The closest would probably be enjoying gaming so much, I sometimes forget about people.. and sometimes prefer it over hanging out or being with others xD.  But that's probably what happens to a lot of gamers.

I've not found myself attached to something other than another person like the way you describe.

I think what you experience is fascinating. Going to new places will always be a new experience, but you're describing it a more than a new experience? Sounds to me like you've developed quite a good habit for keeping a healthy mind and soul.

Perhaps some of what you find in your passion for writing, game development and travelling is something everyone should try working on obtaining at least a bit. I can only see it being a good thing.

Idk about love, but a personal object of mine that I treasure very much and keep with me at all times is a foldable pocket frisbee:

I have hyperhidrosis, so if I run for like 2 seconds I'll start sweating buckets like a donkey in a sauna. Really made growing up difficult at times since people generally consider sweating a gross thing.

So when my childhood friend (lulz) gave me this as a possible solution to my condition (portable fan! omg hax) I was pleasantly surprised at just how effective it actually was and have kept it with me ever since. It saved my ass when I had to go to class after P.E., and definitely saved my ass during high school prom (it gets unbelievably hot having to wear a tux and dance in a room full of people  <_<).

It's a little beaten up and all the middle skoo "ur mom" comments etc etc are faded, but here it is:

VkLcjeU.jpg

As for me,

Might say things like "I love thing x" but I think that it is only meant figuratively.

Thinking that literally love would only apply to...let's see..

Yourself,

Other People (doesn't have to be in a relationship or marriage, can also be family, friends, etc.)

Pets I think...

your Creator...

Mmm... maybe it is because I live so much inside my head, but I've never fallen in love with a place.  However, I do have a strong affection for the blood running through my veins.  I used to stare at the veins in my wrist for minutes at a time...

Over the past year I found myself developing a love for classic Chinese and Japanese music. Though it's not to the point of marriage these genres almost always fill me with emotions and thoughts that I wouldn't normally have and has developed into something of an obsession. 

People get into relationships, then they marry. We are obviously capable of having love for one another. But what about other things?

The whole time, I wore a stupid grin and skipped along the streets. Not tourist attractions, but simply soaking in that daily lifestyle. Love it so much.

If you love it so much, why don't you marry it? :ph34r:

From reading the title I thought this would be a topic about human-alien/robot relationships, but this is interesting too. :P I don't think I've ever felt love for a place, although while I was living in Russia after having lived in Canada I really wanted to go back, but that was mostly due to me liking the culture here more than there.

For the purposes of this discussion, I don't know where to draw the line between having a hobby and loving a thing. If anyone asked, I'd say I love horror movies. It used to consume a lot of my energy and thoughts as a kid. While my tastes have expanded over time, I still look back nostalgically at all those nights I spent on the couch watching whatever was new at Blockbuster (I don't think I've typed out that word in like over 10 years :ph34r:) and rewatching old favorites. Halloween movie marathons were a delightful part of my childhood and younger adolescence.

this thread makes me feel like I'm as dull as a sack of potatoes. I wish I loved doing something productive like learning or writing. I dont think there's anything in my life, save my family, that I really love. At least yet (hopefully). I'm not sure if I could say I love myself at the moment, as my ego has tanked pretty hard in the last year or two. *sigh*

But I really do think that it's not unreasonable to love something other than a person. Sometimes I get into these moods where I get fascinated by something. Periodically it's nature, or something as simple as thinking about what's happening on the tallest floor of some building in the distance. Interesting thoughts that really grasp my heart as well as my mind.

But I tend to be better at leaving than I am at staying, and these feelings are very transient. Because of that I don't think I can say that I really love all that much. Perhaps a story. If anything, I love Katawa Shoujo.

My passion is the piano.  If I'm not sleeping, working, playing visual novels, or any combination of those (I love my job  ^_^ ), I'm typically at my piano.  Lately I've been playing a lot of Video Game music (I'm currently playing through the Piano Collections from Final Fantasy VII - XIII-2), but I also go on Classical binges, my most recent being trying to learn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGz5fifRB3s.

If anything, I love Katawa Shoujo.

I did a Katawa Shoujo medley last year for piano.  There's also a bonus, unrelated song on there.

There's a history behind the piano that revolved around a person, so I'm honestly not sure which I'm more connected to - my memories of that person, or the instrument itself.  Regardless, I'm furthering my studies of it at University.

Maybe one day, when I can play my feelings...

A place I fell in love with was a small valley not far from Nagoya where I went skiing for around 3 days.

I haven't found a better skiing place so far, the valley was beautiful, the people where extremely nice, the local food delicious.

Maybe i'm mistaken, but in my memories, this place was a tiny paradize.

I loved Japan overall when I travelled there.

I am in love with crispy M&Ms, the greatest candy to ever exist in this universe, both romantically and sexually. America decided that back in 2003 the candy was a flop, and as such removed it from the Mar's Company lineup. Thankfully, the rest of the world kept making it, and as such I was not without my loveable candies. As of 4 months ago, seeing that in every single person who loved M&Ms missed these babies, the company has decided that they will make a triumphant return in January of 2015. Crispy M&Ms are returning to the states, and as such, to my heart.

Thank you candy god, you do exist.

Thanks for all the reply folks and accepting my love for places (>w<)!

Thank you Cyrillej1!

Thanks reyaes! Yeah, it is definitely more than the desire to experience new places. In fact, it is the wish to relive cherished experiences. For example, last year, I stayed in a certain hotel. This year, I insisted on going back, even though it is slightly more expensive than others, and it is far from the city.

Ah, I might as well share this story as well. So last year, when I visited that hotel, I decided to jog there from the city and earn my night's rest. However, I vastly underestimated the distance XD. I ran for well over an hour from sunset through into night time, passing through some scary, pitched black bridges etc along the way.

By the time I reached the hotel, all the shops were already closed, except for this one restaurant. The people there treated me nicely. To them, I was just another customer. For me, having been through that rough jog, I remember their simple kindness. I then spent a fine evening in the hotel, just doing average things like watching anime.

Some tough experiences, followed by a few pleasant ones. As common as they come, but those are the experiences I always want to savor and relive :).

Eclipsed, that is a very fascinating tale! Thanks for sharing it :).

Flutterz, I really would marry it, but I am a bit scared to make that move right now. This thread shows that if I do, at least I can count on you guys to not make fun of me (>//u//<).

Sounds great Ryechu :)! Piano is obviously a form of art and I empathize with your passion very much.

For those who say they feel loveless because they have found nothing, no worries! You only need to find one love in your life. A lot like people, I guess. There is no need to rush :).

Thanks for all the comments folks. They were really cool to read :D.

• 1 month later...

Humm... I think I can safely say I developed some ,,love" for beer, I guess? I really like to discover new styles, different malts and hops used. There's so many things to learn about! And making my own beer... I like it. It easily takes six hours and more to brew beer. And you can easily make mistake, which might destroy your whole work. You need to stay vigilant. But it's you who decide how to make it. Russian Imperial Stout, Koelsh, American India Pale Ale? Caramel malt, abbey style malt, smoked malt? New Zealand hops, American, German? Hard water, soft water? Type of yeast? Proportions, temperature? It's kinda like alchemy, hahah. The best thing, it's cheaper and WAY better than your average beer at shop.

I would really like to open my own small brewery someday.

I know right? That feeling! Is that not much different from the herione (which we sometimes joke about being so idealized) who is content about her life even though it had so little? Surely it's a wonderful thing that something (not "so little" though: "something") can mean so much to you?

The English language. I love getting swamped in pages and articles about phonetics, dialectual differences, grammar, etymology, etc. It's all just so fascinating!

I'd be very happy to teach it in Japan for the rest of my life, for sure! ^^