What Video Games Are You Playing Right Now?

solidbatman

I can't give any further explanation, aside from perhaps that I have (or had) a shorter attention span than most people, and maybe that I was just dumber about virtual world 3D spatial reasoning than most people; I have, thankfully, learned to do this over the years, but I definitely couldn't do it well at that time. One other maybe-relevant consideration: I'm not fond of anything being very difficult in a game. I'm well aware that's not a universal opinion (calling all Dark Souls fans...), but that's just how my brain is wired; if I'm playing a video game, I'd much rather it be easy, and if it gets too difficult, I have a tendency to just walk away from it.

Yeah np, it is what it is, I'm just giving you flak as an OoT fanboy :rimu:

~~
Somewhat related, you'd probably love playing Master Quest version of OoT.  About a month ago after i finished OoT3D I started a Master Quest playthrough after realizing it existed, and ragequitted at Deku Tree. 

They made monsters do 2x damage, and the dungeons themselves were reworked to be even harder(?) qq

Wow, that sounds great! But not really.

Yeah, I'm rarely one for turning up the difficulty on a game... I have to both be good at and be really invested in a game before I even consider doing that, and there has to be some sort of visible reward for it (an in-game trophy or something). I think the last time I actually had fun playing a game with high difficulty settings was picking up Flawless Cowboy medals while playing Halo: Reach solo. Usually I was just trying to finish one of the weekly challenges, and didn't have a lot of faith in my co-op buddies, so I'd just solo the mission. It was always pretty satisfying to pull that off without dying.

Forever loyal to my curse of playing a shit ton of games at the same time, I'm playing Tree of Savior (2nd CB) as MMORPG, Europa Universalis IV as multiplayer game with my friends, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC as main game (and one of the best JRPGs ever, friggin dammit), and replaying Rune Factory 4 as portable game on my 3DS.

Playing A Link Between Worlds and Persona 4 Golden, some (mild) spoilers for both

ALBW:

Made it to Lorule and did find a couple of cracks back to Hyrule, Hilda said I needed to go back to Hyrule first, why is that? I could get into the Thieves' Hideout but I think I was stuck.

Anything I need to do to start collecting the paintings?

P4G:

About to start Kanji's dungeon. I think I played for 2-3 hours straight. The combat sucks (are all (J)RPGs this repetitive) and I'm pretty annoyed that the protagonist is silent, also I find movement and such a bit janky but still, the story's great. It really sucks you in, even though slice of life isn't normally up my alley.  Murder mystery part isn't that intriguing either, but the characters are fun.

The me of so recent as a few months ago would've been utterly perplexed at genuinely liking a tsundere, but until Rise is introduced Marie is definitely P4G's best girl. Her interpretations are hilarious ("Joo-nes" for Junes and something even better for an electricity outlet). She isn't an asshole, but just shy- she's nice.

I hope I can finish ALBW and Euphoria soon, I want to focus on Planescape: Torment. 

I've been playing Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance while taking breaks from Clannad. It's pretty damn fun game, I've enjoyed the good challenge Hard-mode has provided and the gameplay just feels so good. 

The controls are so fluid and precise, after I got used to the parry-system it just feels so satisfying to play something knowing that the mistakes you make are 100% your fault and not because of sloppy controls. Not to mention the bosses being super bad ass, music being awesome and even the Codec conversations are pretty interesting. It's truly fun game.

Not only is MGR:R my first spectacle fighter or whatever, it's also my first Metal Gear game and I like it way more than I thought I would. I'm little curious now about trying MGS-games, since the setting seems cool, but because I suck a stealth games and I don't have a console to play them that might not happen in a while.

Picked up the slack in Yakuza 0 again. Getting near the end of the game, but I've only now got a good grasp at Kiryuu's Money Island, so the money has finally started flying in - I have barely half of the skill tree complete because of how expensive shit gets later on, but I might have to stall my progress to save up money. Fighting the money mugger seems to be faster but it is way too much of a hassle. Haven't touched Majima's Money Island much yet, since the whole hostess club thing is way more complex and I'm not sure if I even want to get into that... and I'm doing my best not to fall into the minigame trap again, it got bad enough in Yakiza 3 already. :pyaa: Anyway, the story is really fun, so I'm not sure if I'll even stall at all... plus I have to get this done so I can move back on Sen no Kiseki, and then Sen no Kiseki 2 since it is on PS+ now. Then I also have Tokyo Xanadu on my Vita.... what is this Falcom overdose?

I've been playing Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance while taking breaks from Clannad. It's pretty damn fun game, I've enjoyed the good challenge Hard-mode has provided and the gameplay just feels so good. 

The controls are so fluid and precise, after I got used to the parry-system it just feels so satisfying to play something knowing that the mistakes you make are 100% your fault and not because of sloppy controls. Not to mention the bosses being super bad ass, music being awesome and even the Codec conversations are pretty interesting. It's truly fun game.

Not only is MGR:R my first spectacle fighter or whatever, it's also my first Metal Gear game and I like it way more than I thought I would. I'm little curious now about trying MGS-games, since the setting seems cool, but because I suck a stealth games and I don't have a console to play them that might not happen in a while.

Glad to hear you're enjoying Rising, loved that game myself, too! A platinum game being your first character action game, you've certainly picked well!

As for MGS, you can run MGS1 on a PS1 emulator well enough (or there is a PC version I think, but I seem to remember that having worse music or something? Might be confusing stuff here.), and MGS2 has a PC port. MGS2 is my favourite one because it by far does the craziest things in the series, so if you like games doing interesting things with its medium, you'll probably like it as well - playing MGS1 first is required, though.

Edited by Vokoca

Man Persona 4 Golden is addictive as all fuck.

I really like it so far. One of the best games of the year.

Kinda gave up on ALBW lol

Very busy nowadays, might have to stall P4G or Euphoria- wanna play Planescape: Torment too. 

Best game of what year? It's not new you know xD. But yeah, it's such an excellent JRPG, one of the best there's around.

Also, not surprised about ALBW. I played it, from begining to end, and it was a horrible game, doesn't get a passing mark from me.

Man Persona 4 Golden is addictive as all fuck.

I really like it so far. One of the best games of the year.

Kinda gave up on ALBW lol

Very busy nowadays, might have to stall P4G or Euphoria- wanna play Planescape: Torment too. 

Best game of what year? It's not new you know xD. But yeah, it's such an excellent JRPG, one of the best there's around.

Also, not surprised about ALBW. I played it, from begining to end, and it was a horrible game, doesn't get a passing mark from me.

I actually LIKE ALBW, it's just that I'm kinda overwhelmed with what to do next.

P4G is of the best games I've played this year (and more for the life-planning stuff and the characters rather than the JRPG stuff including Personas)- when you've only been properly gaming for only around three years, it gets tough to follow current releases.

Playing MKX. Only recently did I get a PS4 so I'm catching up on this game.

Add me @ LiquidShu, can't say I will play a whole lot though, I just like friends :sachi: We also have a FGC thread (semi-inactive) if you want to look for people from Fuwa to play with. 

Traded in Splatoon and got Samurai Warriors 4-II and a Mewtwo amiibo. Not sure if I like SW or DW better, at this point leaning towards DW. DW felt much more historic and was able suck me in. SW hasn't done that for me yet but I can still get a kick out of a Musuo game pretty much all the time. 

Bleh to get any serious money in-game in Yakuza 0, you probably need to use the companion Vita app to be able to put time into it, and you need the money to level up your abilities... while there are plenty of alternatives for sure, this is kind of fucked, especially for an action game. In the last chapters and I'm barely through half of all the skill trees... I suppose it is an incentive to get into the side content more, but 6 skill trees is just a lot to fill. :D Ishin was much simpler in this regard.

Still, now that the game is announced to get localised... get the game, guys. The money system can be a pain in the ass, but the rest is pretty fucking awesome.

Well I haven't tried this one, but the Ishin companion app not only let you play the farming/fishing portion of the game, but it also had most of the minigames and the entire dungeon system. What this means is that you not only got to play the downtime portions of the game (which are fully 3D rendered ports of the original game parts btw), but you got to play with the entire battle system too in the dungeon part of the game. So basically you had almost everything but the free-roam+story on the go, and that was a pretty damn good deal imo, especially considering the Vita 'app' was completely free, regardless of you owning the game.

0 doesn't have the dungeon system, so I'm not sure if they even kept the battle system in for this instalment, but even so it is a grreat way to kill time during commution and such and then carry over the profits into your main game. Western developers should take a cue imo, the only companion app I've tried was for GTAV, and that was complete horseshit. :pyaa: 

Just finished the main storyline of Disgaea 5. I am pleased to say that I found it to be the best yet in the series. The characters are deeper and better-developed (and generally both more fun and interesting) than ever, the overarching plot themes are better-executed, and the gameplay absolutely shines this time around. After the slow slide from greatness after the first Disgaea game (2 was a little worse, then 3 was a little more worse, and then 4 was just not great at all), they really turned things around with Disgaea D2, and then got it pretty much perfect with Disgaea 5. With regards to gameplay especially:

- They added a lot of new mechanics, but the new mechanics don't feel bloated (c.f., Disgaea 4, with the weird board game of character placement) or frustratingly time-consuming (c.f. Disgaea 3, with the frustrating ability purchasing system that required you to get lots of kills with your healer for them to be able to learn new healing magic)

- The existing mechanics are around and are still solid

- Classes and weapons are better balanced than I have ever seen in a Disgaea game. This, IMO, has been a major weakness of the series since the beginning - usually, some classes or weapons are just vastly better than others. This time around, whatever class you want to play around with, it's totally viable, while still not being overpowered enough to make you not want to try other things.

I'm just starting the postgame now, so time will tell if I stick with that or move on to some other game for the time being (Tales of Zestiria is still waiting), but regardless, at some point a few months after I've put the game down, I know I'll get the itch to play another Disgaea game again. When that happens, Disgaea 5, not any previous iteration in the series, will definitely be the game I come back to.

Just finished the main storyline of Disgaea 5. I am pleased to say that I found it to be the best yet in the series. The characters are deeper and better-developed (and generally both more fun and interesting) than ever, the overarching plot themes are better-executed, and the gameplay absolutely shines this time around. After the slow slide from greatness after the first Disgaea game (2 was a little worse, then 3 was a little more worse, and then 4 was just not great at all), they really turned things around with Disgaea D2, and then got it pretty much perfect with Disgaea 5. With regards to gameplay especially:

- They added a lot of new mechanics, but the new mechanics don't feel bloated (c.f., Disgaea 4, with the weird board game of character placement) or frustratingly time-consuming (c.f. Disgaea 3, with the frustrating ability purchasing system that required you to get lots of kills with your healer for them to be able to learn new healing magic)

- The existing mechanics are around and are still solid

- Classes and weapons are better balanced than I have ever seen in a Disgaea game. This, IMO, has been a major weakness of the series since the beginning - usually, some classes or weapons are just vastly better than others. This time around, whatever class you want to play around with, it's totally viable, while still not being overpowered enough to make you not want to try other things.

I'm just starting the postgame now, so time will tell if I stick with that or move on to some other game for the time being (Tales of Zestiria is still waiting), but regardless, at some point a few months after I've put the game down, I know I'll get the itch to play another Disgaea game again. When that happens, Disgaea 5, not any previous iteration in the series, will definitely be the game I come back to.

Seriously? Because the general idea, and mine especially, is that they failed tremendously with Disgaea 5. Coming from the excellent (and probably best in the series) D4, with charismatic and likeable characters, a funny and wacky yet interesting and intense MC, and lots of their silly, full of puns fun, D5 is cliché and boring. A tale of revenge, the MC being a loner badass, broken team that slowly drifts together while they learn more of each other... really? the storyline and characters of D5 was pure stereotype shounen material.

The only thing that makes me like D5 is that they did indeed do excellent improvements on gameplay and technical stuff. While the squads are a bit weird and counterintuitive, most of the things (both old and new) feel great and smooth, and the dice game that slightly improves characters makes me think of The Guided Fate Paradox.

It's about on par with a Hyperdimension Neptunia game, similar battle mechanics, similar artstyle, similar lighthearted goofy storyline & characters, main difference being there's a lazy-type dude protagonist this time around, and instead of CPUs being the cool people it's Fencers. So a "serious" gamer that doesn't like Nep probably wouldn't enjoy it as much.

I picked it up mainly cuz of Tiara who made a cameo in Hyperdevotion Noire; her tsundere-masochist personality is auto-win
wzkV9NS.png (960×540)

I picked it up mainly cuz of Tiara who made a cameo in Hyperdevotion Noire; her tsundere-masochist personality is auto-win

See, this is why Plutia is the best girl.

7b3aa22e3c278fe6a05c883ff2c74a77.gif = giphy.gif

SADISM~

Ahem.

I uh, need to finish Neptunia 1 and 2 and then get Victory still.  Then I'll be able to handle me some Fairy Fencer F.  But yeah, these games ride on their characters and charm more than anything, so if you get it for any other reason you risk disappointment.  As for me, besides Neptunia, I need to play more Akiba's Trip (Akiba Strip >:D), and get around to some of my other RPG's.  Get together with my friends and finish Symphonia, play more Trails in the Sky, get better at Ys so I don't get slaughtered constantly, and so on.  I also recommend the Kung Fury video game for those of you who have seen that little gem.