What Video Games Are You Playing Right Now?

solidbatman

I bought a 3DS because some games I wanted was only for 3DS. But I am not using 3D because it is annoying. If you can buy a 2D do it. It is cheaper and you don't miss anything.

Eh, I honestly like the 3DS better.  The folding capability is pretty nice, but you're paying more for just that if you won't use the 3D setting, so it really depends on what you're willing to shell out for.

So I thought I'd look up a phone app game to play while I was on the road, and decided to just kinda wing it with the most popular games list. Actually not a bad move at all as I surprisingly came across something pretty fun. Crusaders Quest isn't really something I'd call a good game, but it's the best I've seen for f2p smart phone RPGs, lol. The simplistic gaming interface makes it a lot better than hack and slash games because they never freakin work out on a phone (I don't know why app developers never get them right). So far, I really love it. The designs are anime-like since it was developed by an Asian group (not sure if Korean or Japanese). The translation is surprisingly decent too. Usually foreign game apps are riddled with bad English, but not this one. :)

Battle Moon Wars. Fun game. Much like. Mushy brain. BMW. Hehehe.

Anyways, as far as the game goes, it's pretty decent (if you skip how it basically copy-pasted 90% of SRT statistics). I like Takumi's difficulty level (even though Haruna doesn't show up much for about 75% of his route, it's sad cuz she's a pretty great character overall). I can't relate to F/SN but I like the way they made the Kagetsu Tohya characters' attacks. Also, Shiki can take quite the beating. He took about four hits from Nero and still managed to beat him (Takumi attack support is the power of gods, I tell you). If there's one thing I really hate about it, it's that (from watching a partial walkthrough of F/SN) I know Shirou's weak, but AT LEAST ALLOW HIM SOME GODDAMN DURABILITY. He can't take TWO HITS from a normal enemy AT A HIGHER LEVEL than it (And he's really freaking bad at dodging), while Shiki just dodges everything that comes at him (Nero's four-hit wonder was a miracle for the enemy; it's as if it's part of the game's function to let miracles happen for the enemy if animations are on). On the bright side, partway through the story he suddenly gets really powerful to offset it. Still doesn't forgive the low speed, low normal damage, and low defence PLUS innate defence support.

There are basically three things I love about the game at this point: The cameos as well as the way they explain the things they brought up (still have no idea what hallowed ground is, probably cuz I've yet to play F/SN), the difficulty that eases you in and then thrusts near-impossible situations at you (Shirou vs Nanaya AND Archer, UGH), and the GODLY MUSIC. Especially Nero and RoSHIaKI's themes. I could listen to them for hours. Such SRT nostalgia...

Anyways, nice job, WERK. I liked the game.

edit: also got the tales of xilia (1 and 2) to start as well :s

Nice. I liked Xillia 2 better than Xillia 1, but both were solid games. I saw a review that summed up Xillia 2 as "It's a Tales game / 10" - pretty accurate, in that if you generally like Tales games, you'll almost certainly like both of them (and if you don't generally like Tales games, well, you probably made a mistake there).

Turnip Sensei... any recommendations for Vita? :P

Oh man, Vita recommendations. Vita is my favorite platform after PC, mostly because of all the glorious JRPGs and alike. So yeah, I'll gladly recommend stuff.

We all here love VNs, so I must mention Danganronpa and Virtue's Last Reward. They are solid VNs with light gameplay elemements.

I don't know if it's counts as VN, but Corpse Party games are something I'm really fond of. I don't normally like horror games, but I enjoyed Corpse Party a lot. It's a horror adventure game with interesting story, really intimidating atmosphere and lots of gore. It's anime gore, but it's still pretty rough. I remember not being able to sleep properly for one night and it was also first time when I almost threw up because of a video game. They were originally released on psp, so it's not really a vita game, but if you happen to like horror you should give it a try.

Okay proper games then, :D

Ys: Memories of Celceta is a really solid, party based and really fast paced action RPG. Just turn the volume up, difficulty to hard and dive in boots of Adol Christin & co for a awesome adventure full of epic boss battles and awesome music.  

Muramasa: Rebirth and Dragon's Crown are both solid 2D action games from Vanillaware. They not only play well, but they are also absolutely gorgeous.

And no list is perfect without Persona 4 Golden. Though you should probably play Persona 3 Portable first, because it's kind of difficult to go back to P3P after being spoiled by P4G improvements. These 2 games are in my opinion the best JRPGs on vita. Prepare yourself for long ride though, first play through will clock around 70 hrs, but I assure it's worth the time. The games are combinations of VN-esque story segments, dating sim/ time management segments where you improve yourself and your bonds with your friends(Date hot girls) and pretty hard core dungeon crawling. Bonus points for fast paced and thrilling combat system, where you get extra turns for exploiting enemy weaknesses. 

There's a few, but If you tell me what kinds of games you like, I can give more specific recommendations. So if anyone has any questions about vita games, I'm here to spread the vita love.  

Oh man, Vita recommendations. Vita is my favorite platform after PC, mostly because of all the glorious JRPGs and alike. So yeah, I'll gladly recommend stuff.

We all here love VNs, so I must mention Danganronpa and Virtue's Last Reward. They are solid VNs with light gameplay elemements.

I don't know if it's counts as VN, but Corpse Party games are something I'm really fond of. I don't normally like horror games, but I enjoyed Corpse Party a lot. It's a horror adventure game with interesting story, really intimidating atmosphere and lots of gore. It's anime gore, but it's still pretty rough. I remember not being able to sleep properly for one night and it was also first time when I almost threw up because of a video game. They were originally released on psp, so it's not really a vita game, but if you happen to like horror you should give it a try.

Ys: Memories of Celceta is a really solid, party based and really fast paced action RPG. Just turn the volume up, difficulty to hard and dive in boots of Adol Christin & co for a awesome adventure full of epic boss battles and awesome music.  

Muramasa: Rebirth and Dragon's Crown are both solid 2D action games from Vanillaware. They not only play well, but they are also absolutely gorgeous.

And no list is perfect without Persona 4 Golden. Though you should probably play Persona 3 Portable first, because it's kind of difficult to go back to P3P after being spoiled by P4G improvements. These 2 games are in my opinion the best JRPGs on vita. Prepare yourself for long ride though, first play through will clock around 70 hrs, but I assure it's worth the time. The games are combinations of VN-esque story segments, dating sim/ time management segments where you improve yourself and your bonds with your friends(Date hot girls) and pretty hard core dungeon crawling. Bonus points for fast paced and thrilling combat system, where you get extra turns for exploiting enemy weaknesses. 

There's a few, but If you tell me what kinds of games you like, I can give more specific recommendations. So if anyone has any questions about vita games, I'm here to spread the vita love.  

You, I like you.

It is said that Hotline Miami works best on Vita, so that.

If you like indies and you won't go exclusive only, Terraria and Thomas Was Alone are other great games (not to forget binding of isaac rebirth).

Soul Sacrifice is amazing, judging from the demo.

Tearaway is a MUST BUY.

Uncharted Golden Abyss is pretty neat if you like that sort of thing.

---

I'm playing XCOM, it's so good. Reserving judgment until I get to play some games I meant to get around to (legally getting Wolfenstein TNO, working up the balls to buy Alien Isolation, AA Trilogy, actually playing the Danganronpa games, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Persona 4 Golden, OoT 3D/MM 3D if I can save that much money, a shitton of gbc and gba games, playing through MGS), but does this game have potential to be my 2015 GOTY? It does, indeed.

Thanks for the feedback, i'm more of a JRPG/Strategy game player...

Regarding Dragon Crown, i've already got it on plus for PS instead of vita so I doubt i'll be getting that one.

My vita experience is still relatively new (got it in September with God Eater 2 while I was in Japan) and i've been playing some of the "free" Plus games. Other than that so far i've been mainly playing hunting games (GE2 - need to clear story, Toukiden - need to farm last post-game trophies and Freedom Wars - got plat).

Besides the hunting games I also got P4G (right after the purchase of the console), Akiba's Trip, Demon Gaze Global Edition, Ys: Memories of Celceta (haven't started yet) and Deception IV: Blood Ties.

Kinda looked at Danganronpa series but haven't fully understood it's gameplay xD (didn't look much into it tbh). Also checked out Soul Sacrifice Delta (and considering the buy) but i'll have to finish up at least another of them hunting games first.

Regarding Hotline Miami and Terraria... they aren't much my type (even tho I've got Terraria on steam - prefered Starbound for some reason).

Thanks to the feedback i'm currently adding to my "to check" list:

• Virtue's Last Reward
  • Tearaway
  • Muramasa: Rebirth
  • Corpse Party
  • Gravity Rush (for some reason I never really looked into it)

@Funyarinpa: XCOM is damn good indeed. I've gotta dive back into it with the expansions. I've always been a fan of XCOM games since the first one (screw Apocalypse tho) and dived right into the latest XCOM as soon as it was out. Totally worth it :)

Regarding Senran Kagura... what's the gameplay like? Fully VN or what (i remember seeing up Bon Apetit and music/rhythm threw me away)?

Finished Ch.3 in Ace attorney investigations 2. How the crimes were carried out was pretty damn crazy lol. None the less a very interesting chapter indeed

If you've played AAI 1, I'd say the biggest similarity is that all the crimes are connected, and the first three cases are instrumental to finishing the last one. Chapter 3 was especially interesting in that, you revolve around two different times to solve the one mystery (kinda like a shorter Time Hollow, ya know?), and while Shields insists that Ol' Greg found most of the evidence, we all know it was thanks to our mad detective skillz.

This isn't a spoiler until you hit that part, so it doesn't count as one, right?

My favorite part of the game is 'Cause I'm Gonna Bully You'.

Below are a few comments on Chapter 5, so unless you've finished, it's a spoiler.

Debeste is De Best. He even has Debeste Logic Chess. Of course, I mean Sebastian Debeste. Blaise can go suck it in Hell.

So, since Debeste is De Best, I hate how he doesn't show up in the ultimate final battle against the clown you repeatedly show balloons to.

He was one of my favorites when he started, and he became my favorite as he matured throughout the game. So I was depressed when he didn't show up with everyone else (Even that bitch Justine made it there. Fuck you, game devs).

My final regret about AAI is how you can't play as Phoenix. I like him better. Even Apollo can't compare. And Mia was just a weird-ass bitch all along. Her desk slams were unsettling. Miles is... acceptable, but Phoenix is bettah!

If only Kay's memory had stayed lost...

I liked that theme too.

Besides the hunting games I also got P4G (right after the purchase of the console), Akiba's Trip, Demon Gaze Global Edition, Ys: Memories of Celceta (haven't started yet) and Deception IV: Blood Ties.

O_o. You already have all the good games ;D

Thanks for the feedback, i'm more of a JRPG/Strategy game player...

For strategy there are Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre and Disgaia games. I've only played Tactics Ogre and Disgaia 4, so I can't say much the others. Disgaia is pretty wacky and it has bucket loads of content. Tactics Ogre on the other hand is more serious medieval fantasy with branching story. It has some weird systems such as there is no individual level for characters, but rather classes level up. It's still pretty fun.

For JRPGs you should check Atelier games. (Meruru, Totori, Rorona and Ayesha) They are partly alchemy (item crafting), partly light JRPG battling and mostly cutesy stuff. The alchemy part is surprisingly fun and the combat is not bad, though I hardly bother with it, the other parts were way more enjoyable to me. They are kind of coming of age stories with girl alchemists as protagonist. It's pretty lighthearted, but it's super cute and makes you feel warm and happy inside.

I have heard that Tales of Hearts R is pretty good, but I haven't played that yet myself, so I can't confirm that.

Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines is also worth checking out. In Oreshika you have to manage a cursed clan, which members can only live for 2 years. You have to breed your clan members with various gods to get new characters and explore dungeons for a cure for the curse. I'm not really sure what to think of the game yet. It's fun to watch your family tree grow and see what kind of children will you get next. The combat and dungeon crawling is pretty good, but the game has some pacing issues. If you can't complete some story required dungeons in time you have to wait for an year for it show up again. And by that point your previous clan members are probably dead, so you better hope that your new members are as up to the challenge. Still it's not bad game, so might be worth trying.  

I've been eyeing the Atelier games for a while - are those something I can just pick up at the latest, or should I play them in some order? The wikipedia page for the series is somewhat bewildering - I guess there are a bunch of separate sub-series, and maybe I should play a sub-series in order?

To phrase the question another way: where should I start with Atelier?

Edit: nevermind, I found the "Atelier" sub-thread which has good guidance for exactly this question :)

Regarding Senran Kagura... what's the gameplay like? Fully VN or what (i remember seeing up Bon Apetit and music/rhythm threw me away)?

The story is presented in a VN like format but the game-play is fully beat-em-up.  Bon Appetit is just a spin-off.  The first game is on the Nintendo Eshop for 3DS if you have that system and is probably the best starting point but you can probably still play Shinovi Versus and catch up.  The next game is solely for 3DS too.  

As for Danganronpa, it's a mix of VN and logic/trial sections with some other minor gameplay thrown in. 

The story is presented in a VN like format but the game-play is fully beat-em-up.  Bon Appetit is just a spin-off.  The first game is on the Nintendo Eshop for 3DS if you have that system and is probably the best starting point but you can probably still play Shinovi Versus and catch up.  The next game is solely for 3DS too.  

As for Danganronpa, it's a mix of VN and logic/trial sections with some other minor gameplay thrown in. 

Is there a physical copy of Bon Appetit somewhere?

Also, eyeing Muramasa right now.

I need more girls in my life.