Google Translate gets a major upgrade

sanahtlig

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/google-neural-translation-eight-languages,33039.html

I tested it for myself and Japanese -> English translation is still not very good, but it's on par with my configured ATLAS which isn't too bad.  For the VN I'm currently playing it was understandable.  I tried it on a Japanese news site and got mostly gibberish.  Spanish -> English could very well have seen a marked improvement, however.  Google seems to have focused particularly on Chinese <-> English, so that might have benefited more than Japanese <-> English.

I gave it a whorl with Japanese to English and it's still abysmal absolutely... however relatively it is definitely less bad than it used to be. I think this is how we'll eventually see useful machine translations; not from some massive breakthrough in approaches but from fine grained step by step improvements as the mechanism approaches real AI by imitating what humans do when translating. Perhaps it might happen in my lifetime but I'm not holding my breath. Someone asked me how soon we're likely to see good machine translation (before I read this article and tried it) and I said probably within 50 years. I'm still reluctant to decrease this estimate.

1 hour ago, ittaku said:

I gave it a whorl with Japanese to English and it's still abysmal absolutely... however relatively it is definitely less bad than it used to be. I think this is how we'll eventually see useful machine translations; not from some massive breakthrough in approaches but from fine grained step by step improvements as the mechanism approaches real AI by imitating what humans do when translating. Perhaps it might happen in my lifetime but I'm not holding my breath. Someone asked me how soon we're likely to see good machine translation (before I read this article and tried it) and I said probably within 50 years. I'm still reluctant to decrease this estimate.

Our current applied AI's are already capable to write coherent and well-structured articles, which are nearly indistinguishable from those written by actual writers. I'd give it another 10-15 years or less to see some major breakthrough. Perhaps, not high class translations, but solid woerk that carries on most of the original meaning, without breaking the sentence apart.

I think AI assisted translation will definitely be handy in certain scenarios, but I don't think it can replace professional translation work anytime soon. There is a lot that goes into translation, it's not just understanding what the sentence means from a grammatical/lexical standpoint, it's about how it's interpreted in the culture it comes from and being able to carry that across to a completely different culture. This is something AI is pretty far from achieving.

Essentially, we'll likely soon get to a level where we can translate day to day sentences with relative ease. This will be useful in a variety of situations, like when you visit a country and want to ask for help from a native, or when you want to read some particular headline in a foreign news site. But it will take much longer to get to a level where AI can interpret nuance and cultural differences, meaning literature in particular will still need a human touch to be translated, and even day to day conversation with its colloqualisms that evolve  literaly every second won't be perfectly translated (at least not with proper nuance).

What I can see happening at some point is translators using AI translation tools to help speed up their work, kind of like a symbiotic relationship, but I wouldn't worry about AI taking over the translation business anytime soon.

And there goes one of my future job options...

It's good to see google putting some (very much needed) work  in it. Most people at my university use Google Translate on a daily basis, even or rather especially those with language courses. But I still think it will take some time to be at least acceptable.

While it is a bit off-topic: Who wants to bet how much more Flyable Hearts/nekoHen style 'Translation Patches' we will see in the next years?

Heh, chucked a few lines from my TL project into it for fun. The first line came out pretty much perfect, which startled me, but then the next 5 were TLed as completely incomprehensible mush. Also tried a few lines with some accents, strange speech patterns and what not, and it completely failed on those. (Pretty much saw that coming.)

It's cool that they are improving their software, but yeah, I seriously doubt it will ever be possible to fully replace translators with these things, period. There is simply too many issues since they can't think like people. They can't understand context, which is crucial in Japanese. They also can't decipher slang and such things, don't understand sarcasm and so on.

Art. 10. (Legislative Procedure) 1. Article 70 of the Constitution is replaced by the following:

"Art. 70. - The legislative function is exercised collectively by both Houses for laws amending the Constitution and other constitutional laws, and only for the laws implementing the constitutional provisions concerning the protection of linguistic minorities, the popular referendum, other forms consultation referred to in Article 71, for the laws that determine the ordering, the electoral legislation, governing bodies and fundamental functions of municipalities and metropolitan cities and the principle provisions on forms of association of Commons, for the law laying down general rules, forms and terms of Italy's participation in the formation and implementation of legislation and policies of the European Union, for what determines the cases of ineligibility and incompatibility with the office of Senator of which Article 65, first paragraph, and for the rules of articles 57, sixth paragraph, 80, second sentence, 114, third paragraph, 116, second paragraph, 117, fifth and ninth paragraph 119, sixth paragraph, 120, second paragraph, 122, first paragraph, and 132, second paragraph.

The same laws, each with its own object, may be repealed, amended or waived only in express form and in accordance with laws passed this subsection. The other laws are passed by the Chamber of Deputies. Every bill passed by the Chamber of Deputies is immediately sent to the Senate of the Republic who, within ten days, at the request of a third of its members, may have to consider it. Within thirty days after the Senate can approve proposals for modification of the text, on which the Chamber of Deputies to pronounce definitively. If the Senate does not have to examine whether or unnecessarily when the period prescribed for a decision, or if the Chamber of Deputies has ruled definitively, the law can be promulgated. The examination of the Senate for the laws that give effect to Article 117, fourth paragraph, is disposed within ten days from the date of transmission. For the same bills, the Chamber of Deputies may not conform to the amendments proposed by the Senate by an absolute majority of its members, only answer in the final vote by an absolute majority of its members. The bills referred to in Article 81, fourth paragraph, approved by the Chamber of Deputies, are examined by the Senate, which may approve proposed modifications within fifteen days from the date of the broadcast. The Presidents of the Chambers decide, in agreement with each other, any competence, raised according to the standards of the respective regulations. The Senate may, in accordance with its own regulations, perform cognitive activities, as well as comment on acts or documents examined by the Chamber of Deputies. "

Quite impressive indeed.

One of the few things, or perhaps the only one that I knew for sure was this: that my name was Mattia Pascal. And I took advantage. Every time someone from 'my friends or acquaintances showed that he had lost his senses to the point of coming to me for some advice or suggestions, I clutched his shoulders, half closed his eyes and replied:
 - My name is Mattia Pascal.

- Thanks dear. I know this.

- And do you think it is trivial?

It did not seem much, to tell the truth, either. But I did not know then what it was like to not knowing even that, the not being able to respond, that is, as before, if necessary:

- My name is Mattia Pascal.

Someone will love feeling sorry for myself (so cheap), imagining the terrible grief of a wretch, who happens to discover suddenly that ... yes, nothing, in short: no father, no mother, nor how it was or as it was; and surely it must well be indignant (it also costs less) the corruption of morals, and de 'vices, and the sadness of the times, that may be the cause of so much evil to a poor innocent.

Well, she has a seat. But it is my duty to warn you that it is not proper for this. I could expound here, in fact, in a family tree, the origin and lineage of my family and show how qualmente I not only knew my father and my mother, but and my ancestors and their actions, in a long course of time, not all really commendable.

So?

Behold, my case is far more strange and different; so different and strange that I do I narrate it.

I was, for about two years, I do not know if more hunter of mice that keeper of books in the library that a monsignor Boccamazza, in 1803, he wanted to let dying to our town. It 'clear that this Monseigneur had just Know yourself with the dispositions and habits of' his fellow citizens; or perhaps he hoped his legacy would with time and comfort ignite within them a love of learning. So far, I can testify, it is not lit, and this I say in praise of 'My fellow citizens: Del gift indeed the City proved so little grateful to Boccamazza, that he would not even erect half bust even though it was, and the books left for many, many years piled into a vast, damp warehouse, from which then brought them, think ye in what state, for allogarli in the church of Santa Maria Liberal out of hand, I do not know for what reason desecrated. Side committed them, without any discernment, as a benefit, and how sinecure, a few well-protected layabout who, for two cents a day, according to watch them, or even without looking at them all, he had endured the stench for a few hours of mold and old stuff.

Tal did also to me; and from the first day I conceived so poor estimation of books, Let them be they printed or manuscripts (as some of our ancient library), which now I would never, ever put in writing, though, as I said, not really stimassi strange my case and that it can serve as an instruction to some curious reader, who by chance, finally reduced to effect the ancient hope of the good soul of Monsignor Boccamazza, happen in this library, to which I leave this my manuscript, but with the obligation that no one can open it if not fifty years after my third, last and final death.

Since, for the time being (and God knows how much I regret), I'm dead, yes, twice already, but the first in error, and the second ... feel.

This is not that impressive, though, plenty of idiotic mistakes.

Edited by WinterfuryZX

6 hours ago, Decay said:

Because of this update you can no longer highlight over individual words and see the specific Japanese words they were being translated from, and that's pretty much the only thing I ever used google translate for. 

Then you probably should've been using Jisho in the first place?

9 hours ago, Decay said:

Because of this update you can no longer highlight over individual words and see the specific Japanese words they were being translated from, and that's pretty much the only thing I ever used google translate for. 

Indeed, like Fred said, use Jisho for that. It's a really neat little site.

This is interesting.

I don't think we'll see tolerable Japanese to English google translate for literature such as VNs in the near future (at least some decades - putting aside how horrible some actual translations already are, can't use those as an example, especially as they may already be using google translate...), but improved accuracy certainly makes it easier to browse Japanese resources and extract the important facts.