What's the longest time you've stalled watching an anime? (Or reading a manga)

Shikomizue

This just a thought I had after looking at my on-hold list on MAL. Do you have a particular reason for stalling it for that long? Were there other factors? Explain why you've stalled watching this anime or reading this manga for such a long time.

For me it would be the Shakugan no Shana anime series. I've stalled this series for about a year and some couple months. I'm not sure why I keep stalling it, I have plenty of time to watch anime and it's not like it's bad either.

Manga is just manga though, not my cup of tea most times.

Naruto Shippuden's been stalled since episode 40 something came out. There wasn't any particular reason, I just lost interest. Then when I got into anime back in 2012 I realized it's still going, but there were so many episodes I didn't think it would be worth it. And i was right.

Eventually I just read the entire manga, so I don't regret not wasting my time watching all the filler.

I tend to stall reading manga if it is under translation. I prefer a reading marathon or I will forget too much about the story in the meantime, meaning reading while there is 1-2 new chapters every month just doesn't work for me. Since this can easily be a stall until it's complete, it can take years and then I restart. Stalling VNs or amine when I have all of them is usually a sign that the story doesn't match my interests and I will not go back.

I've stalled from finishing School Rumble for around 5 years now. The most fucked up part is that a couple of years ago I rewatched it, but stopped at the same part I did the first time. School Rumble is a special case for me because it is one of the few comedy anime that actually gets me to literally lol. So because I really really like it, I never wanted to finish it, since I knew that would make me really sad. I have like 3 episodes of the 2nd season to go before I finish it. I'm sure I will rewatch it again, but I'm not sure if I will ever finish it. 

The same exact reason is why after a whole year I still have 2 episodes of GTO left. I found the show legitimately funny and don't want to finish it. I only seem to have this problem with comedies btw.

7 minutes ago, Zalor said:

I've stalled from finishing School Rumble for around 5 years now. The most fucked up part is that a couple of years ago I rewatched it, but stopped at the same part I did the first time. School Rumble is a special case for me because it is one of the few comedy anime that actually gets me to literally lol. So because I really really like it, I never wanted to finish it, since I knew that would make me really sad. I have like 3 episodes of the 2nd season to go before I finish it. I'm sure I will rewatch it again, but I'm not sure if I will ever finish it. 

Can confirm School Rumble is not worth finishing. Both the anime and the manga, for that matter. It's better to stay willfully ignorant on this one.

1 hour ago, Nosebleed said:

Can confirm School Rumble is not worth finishing. Both the anime and the manga, for that matter. It's better to stay willfully ignorant on this one.

Sadly I agree, and School Rumble is the show that got me into my weeabooism to begin with. It had a great run IMO, but the ending was disappointing all around.

4 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

Naruto Shippuden's been stalled since episode 40 something came out. There wasn't any particular reason, I just lost interest. Then when I got into anime back in 2012 I realized it's still going, but there were so many episodes I didn't think it would be worth it. And i was right.

Eventually I just read the entire manga, so I don't regret not wasting my time watching all the filler.

Same here I've stalled Naruto Shippuden for about a year and change as of right now, don't even rememeber what episode I was on but the constant barrage of filler kind killed it for me. 

7 minutes ago, DarkZedge said:

Same here I've stalled Naruto Shippuden for about a year and change as of right now, don't even rememeber what episode I was on but the constant barrage of filler kind killed it for me. 

I still come back to it from time to time to see where they are. There's only like 20 something chapters left to adapt but the anime is still scheduled to go for at least another year lol.

17 minutes ago, Makudomi said:

Sadly I agree, and School Rumble is the show that got me into my weeabooism to begin with. It had a great run IMO, but the ending was disappointing all around.

Yeah I had so much fun with it too but the ending will never live up to the rest of it...

7 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

Yeah I had so much fun with it too but the ending will never live up to the rest of it...

In a way I'm kinda glad that there was pretty much only a forgettable OVA instead of a proper "Sangakki", as far as the anime is concerned. I can just pretend it didn't exist. :wahaha:

1 hour ago, Nosebleed said:

I still come back to it from time to time to see where they are. There's only like 20 something chapters left to adapt but the anime is still scheduled to go for at least another year lol.

This fuckers and their filler....I swear, it's like they advance ten real story chapters just to then slap the fans in the face with fifty times as much filler and not even good filler at that, mostly boring trash filler just made for the sake of cashing in before Naruto bites the dust completely. :amane: 

The longest I've stalled is "Azumanga Daioh", despite what my anime list says.

7 hours ago, Zalor said:

The same exact reason is why after a whole year I still have 2 episodes of GTO left. I found the show legitimately funny and don't want to finish it. I only seem to have this problem with comedies btw.

For pretty much this reason. I'd say I've stalled it in the final episodes for about 3 years at this point.

As for that which I've stalled the longest yet still finished, I'd say it was "Spice an Wolf", which I stalled for over a year before eventually watching the last two episodes.

I have a huge problem with stalling anime, so it's hard to pick the worst one... I have several in my Watching list that I'm not actually watching, but hoping to pick back up sometime. Probably should drop them or at least move them to on-hold.

The worst one is Durarara!! (the first season) though, it has been on hold since December 9th, 2012, so I guess that's the winner xD I REALLY wanted to finish it when the second season got announced, but somehow never got around to it. I have only 3 episodes left too, and I'm not sure why I stalled on it... I don't think it's because I liked it so much that I didn't want to finish it (though that does happen to me with other anime sometimes), I just kind of lost interest, I guess.

3 hours ago, ittaku said:

Maison Ikkoku. Started it 12 years ago and stalled not long after. Plan to restart now...

Damn, 12 years. That's impressive.

I think I never finished the first animu I bought, so that was 15 years ago.
And that's not the only one. I think I have like ten animu or manga series from 15 years ago in my bookshelf where the last volumes are still in their original wrapping.

...someday...

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/06/2016 at 7:55 AM, ittaku said:

Maison Ikkoku. Started it 12 years ago and stalled not long after. Plan to restart now...

This thread can take the credit for me restarting this show. I'm 1/3 of the way through this 96 episode monstrosity.

EDIT: Finished it \o/