Conjueror's Untranslated Visual Novel Tournament [Discussion]

Maxel

5 hours ago, Decay said:

There's nothing to be happy about. What we've seen of Closing Chapter so far has been utter garbage. The White Album 2 translation is of abominable quality, and it's not something you should be looking forward to. Pretend it doesn't exist, and you'll be better off for it.

I'm just a positive guy. :lol: I haven't read any of the Closing Chapter so I can't really judge it. I thought the Introductory Chapter was pretty good, but I don't have anything to compare it to (I did enjoy it immensely).

:komari:

20 minutes ago, kingdomcome said:

I'm just a positive guy. :lol: I haven't read any of the Closing Chapter so I can't really judge it. I thought the Introductory Chapter was pretty good, but I don't have anything to compare it to (I did enjoy it immensely).

:komari:

I bet if you compared the translation and the original with a really good understanding of Japanese, you'd find it awful as well. I can't speak for that, but a few people who know Japanese have said the translation isn't worth checking out.

1 minute ago, Rainey said:

I hope either Dies Irae or Muramasa wins out in the end. I'm really interested in how he will translate those.

The winner isn't necessarily being translated unless a deal is made with the winner's company and even then, it's highly unlikely. This tournament is just to see what people want here in the west. It's highly unlikely that anything will come out of this other than Conjueror and Gare's secret project.

Lol, it seems like the last poll was linked to the FGO thread on /vg/ (and maybe other places?) and it ended up with 750 votes (polls usually go b/w 250 and 500 votes) and Mahoyo's win (Eustia was largely winning at first). Now Type-Moon fans are onto this it seems.

39 minutes ago, Down said:

Lol, it seems like the last poll was linked to the FGO thread on /vg/ (and maybe other places?) and it ended up with 750 votes (polls usually go b/w 250 and 500 votes) and Mahoyo's win (Eustia was largely winning at first). Now Type-Moon fans are onto this it seems.

Someone calling the TypeMoon anime fan base for help to fend off Eustia and almost doubling the usual vote count in the process was quite unexpected. If they continue their support, they could drive Mahoyo to the win. What a crazy turn of tides... :o

3 hours ago, Down said:

It was linked on r/fatestaynight and I linked it on r/grandorder's discord channel too. :P 

Mahoyo is by all means a good title, but this was rather unexpected

Well, I expected no less from Type-Moon fandom, but that kind of trashed the main point of the this event

Well, I guess it's fine, I never cared for this competition in the first place

But still, I'd rather see WA2 survive to continue

17 minutes ago, Arcadeotic said:

Well, I expected no less from Type-Moon dandom, but that kind of trashed the main point of the this event

Not really, actually it emphasised quite emphatically a point that needs to be kept in mind.

The hardcore userbase of the VN community is small. Really small. Small enough that the games which are considered good and subsequently hyped within the fandom can make very little impact on the sale figures when it comes time for release. IMHHW is trashed within the community and yet sold 50,000 copies, and yet some games held in high esteem within the community move only a few thousand units.

So it’s important to remember when looking at the results of these polls that very few people participate (only a few hundred,) which is representative of how small this community currently is. The opinions of this community can easily get drowned out by part of another fandom, and for games to sell well they need to be appeal to people outside the hardcore VN community.

EDIT: That being said, I'm quite annoyed Eustia lost >:c

48 minutes ago, Rooke said:

IMHHW is trashed within the community

Ok, I'm going to nitpick on this a bit, since lately people are picking on KonoSora as evidence for some claims, and I think they're doing so inaccurately. Specifically, this time, the translation is trashed by the community, justifiably so, and the game itself suffers a fair bit of collateral damage to its reputation from that, but everything else about the game is exceptionally rarely criticized in the community. Nobody that I've seen who's played KonoSora has said negative things that weren't about the translation/censorship/localization, that I can recall, aside from complaints to the effect of "the common route is too long" (basically, nothing ever comes close to meriting the word "trashing"). The response from people who play KonoSora is actually usually extremely positive, in spite of the terrible translation. I personally go out of my way to praise the game pretty regularly, since I think it's got a lot going for it, for what it is. It is "just a moege", but it's by a wide margin the best moege I've ever played, godawful translation and all. It puts Princess Evangile (which is quite popular around here) to shame in pretty much all areas, at least in my eyes. I had to drop PE after one route because I couldn't deal with the music, story, and characters all being so weak. KonoSora kicks its ass on all those fronts (especially music; the music in KonoSora is lovely, and the PE music is seriously garbage). In the opposite direction, I literally can't think of anything that PE does better than KonoSora.

So, I actually don't think the success of KonoSora is such a grand mystery, nor is it even unexpected given the way people talk about it around here. KonoSora is probably still the best moege licensed for official release in the English-speaking world (and by the way, if anybody has a proposed counterexample to that assertion which isn't Princess Evangile, please let me know; I'd love to play another game as good as KonoSora). Yes the community complains about the translation/censorship/localization, and yes I acknowledge that it really is absolute butchery at times (though definitely not always), but most of the community also played it and most of those who played it seem to have enjoyed it; we just wish it had gotten a good translation like it deserves. And yes, overall, it'd be great if we got better translations; it bugs the crap out of me to read a really bad translation. But it seems I'd still rather play a sub-par translation of a great game than an acceptable (because seriously, commercial VN translations that go beyond the bar of "acceptable" are about one-a-year at best) translation of a mediocre game.

1 hour ago, Arcadeotic said:

Well, I expected no less from Type-Moon fandom, but that kind of trashed the main point of the this event

The point is seeing which VN is wanted the most and TM fans naturally will want Mahoyo, so it's just people voting for which VN they want the most, just what this event is about. :P

There is a large group of type moon fans who want Mahoyo, there is not a large group of Eustia fans who want that. Therefore Mahoyo is wanted more than Eustia is and it winning is perfectly acceptable. 

Although I personally could wait on it being translated until the whole series is complete... 20 years from now.

Nooooooooo Chaos;Child lost   :komari:

As for Mahoyo's win I think it's totally fine for TM fans to vote. My only concern is that this was probably the first time half of them came to know about it.
Well I was fine with either of Mahoyo or Eustia winning so it's fine.

As for Mahoyo vs WA2, I'm rooting for Mahoyo. It's mostly got to do with the fact that I don't have much hype for WA2, well the only thing I do know about it is that it's highly rated on vndb and egs.
Well the fight between them is only to see who gets to become a semi-finalist anyway :makina: