Conjueror's Untranslated Visual Novel Tournament [Discussion]

Maxel

On 2/21/2016 at 7:21 PM, Scorp said:

You really think they were able to translate 50% of DI in 3 monthes? That's crazy speed, man. Why not Baldr Force then? Having such skills they could do it in a blink of an eye :)

Soo...how long is DI? ;p

And I found this today. It's from 2011 though.
http://tlwiki.org/index.php?title=User:Makoto

But does this mean that there is somwhere a partial translation of Muramasa just waiting to be finished?

10 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

Soo...how long is DI? ;p

And I found this today. It's from 2011 though.
http://tlwiki.org/index.php?title=User:Makoto

But does this mean that there is somwhere a partial translation of Muramasa just waiting to be finished?

Makoto now work as JAST translator, he translated Hanachirasu and other Nitroplus titles. So yes, I believe he have a partial translation (and maybe Moogy and other TLWiki core guys).

Dies... I believe I saw somewhere number of 3,6 MB text... Also take in mind that due to its writing style it would be harder and longer to translate than your usual text, so would be even slower. http://tlwiki.org/index.php?title=VN/Eroge_Script_sizes#cite_ref-Dies_6-0

Yeah, Makoto...

• This page was last modified on 27 June 2011, at 22:25.

Completed: Demonbane (Al route only), Saya, Jouka, Kikokugai, Hanachirasu

Current: Django, Muramasa (Chapters complete: 5/5 Common, 0/4 Ichijo, 0/4 Kanae, 2/5 True, 0/1 Epilogue)

Hey isn't this 2016? JAST is still waiting for Django, I hope Makoto is still... alive? Basically no news about Makoto since 2011...?

@Scorp all his projects were done before/in 2011? Django is on-hold for years now. Who knows wth is going on.

19 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

I direct you to JAST's progress log.

Well, if he was done with everything(Hanachirisu etc.) by 2011... And 5 years later we have no new releases from him...

I guess "Waiting for translation" is still better than "Hoping for translation" This might mean many things: translation isn't moving at all, Makoto doesn't keep JAST updated, translation hasn't started yet. 

I personally hate westerns, so I don't think I'm gonna pass on Django :/ Will have to wait for next translation, which god knows when gonna happen, if ever. It's JAST after all.

4 hours ago, kingdomcome said:

White Album 2 is my pick. Such a tease just giving us the introductory chapter. Though the rest of it is nearly translated by the other group, Baka Tsuki. They recently said some of them were busy coz of exams.

Except the translation is so bad that nobody should have to read it. I'm voting for White Album 2 because I'd be interested in a better translation. Not that the winner is gonna be translated mind you.

1 minute ago, VirginSmasher said:

Except the translation is so bad that nobody should have to read it. I'm voting for White Album 2 because I'd be interested in a better translation. Not that the winner is gonna be translated mind you.

Do you mean WA2: Introductory chapter? Or the currently unfinished closing chapter? Or both? :o I'm not sure I really noticed, but maybe I ignored it.

4 minutes ago, kingdomcome said:

Do you mean WA2: Introductory chapter? Or the currently unfinished closing chapter? Or both? :o I'm not sure I really noticed, but maybe I ignored it.

That stuff was said about the Introductory chapter. It's all based on machine translation which a VN with hype like White Album 2 doesn't deserve.

4 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

That stuff was said about the Introductory chapter. It's all based on machine translation which a VN with hype like White Album 2 doesn't deserve.

wow. I didn't realise it, but maybe I gave it the benefit of doubt and ignored it. I might have to read it again so I can recognize it.

Perhaps they're not using machine translation for the closing chapter?

7 minutes ago, kingdomcome said:

wow. I didn't realise it, but maybe I gave it the benefit of doubt and ignored it. I might have to read it again so I can recognize it.

Perhaps they're not using machine translation for the closing chapter?

I assume they'd do the same. It'd be weird to have a machine translated introductory chapter and then a properly translated closing chapter. Plus, if they're gonna do machine translation on a 2 to 10 hour VN, they're not gonna properly translate an over 50 hour VN like Closing Chapter.

23 hours ago, VirginSmasher said:

I assume they'd do the same. It'd be weird to have a machine translated introductory chapter and then a properly translated closing chapter. Plus, if they're gonna do machine translation on a 2 to 10 hour VN, they're not gonna properly translate an over 50 hour VN like Closing Chapter.

I have some good news.

I asked this on their forums:

Q. "Actually I have a question. Are you guys using the assistance of machine translation for the closing chapter :?:

A. "If we would have used machine translation, everything would be done by now. Plus many things wouldn't make since.  :)"

I'm very happy to hear this.

1 hour ago, VirginSmasher said:

I still can't trust it so far. I'll wait until it's released before I judge any further.

1 hour ago, Arcadeotic said:

Is this actual English?

I still am not completely convinced about the quality, to be honest

22 minutes ago, Down said:

Are you really happy that the guy who answered you made two horrible mistakes in under twenty words? Not gonna judge the whole thing by that but it certainly doesn't bode well for the rest.

Guys, I noticed the mistakes of course. I don't know his role in this project though. They have multiple people working on it. We'll soon see..

AFAIK they're not doing TLC... and if the translator is making "simple" errors like these, and in that amount 10%~~ that's no joke... editors can fix a bit awkward english in couple places and do some rewording, but they can't fix the translation.

/Edit

The main problem with WA2 is that it isn't simple average eroge 70/100 on EGS, it's TOP 2? or was it 3... don't remember, but it's one of the best rated VNs on EGS, the same with vndb.

I don't think it deserves average or below average fan translation by a guy who's not fluent in both english and japanese...  I admire his efforts, but I don't want them to continue doing this, and butchering the title... We don't need second Cross Channel, right?

Also, that's pretty close, right? Voted for Damekoi, because I thought it will have no chance against C;C, well w/e, want them both.

wA84BHs.png

It's interesting that the protagonist in Chaos;Child seems to have almost the opposite personality of the one from Chaos;Head according to VNDB - arrogant and proactive instead of antisocial and reserved.

That's actually a good thing since there would be no chance I'd read Chaos;Child if it would be the same rotten low-life like in Chaos;Head. The guy was a disgrace for the whole male gender. Probably the worst hetare protagonist I've ever seen in a VN - god, did I hate that guy!

The new one in Chaos;Child looks kinda cool though, so the chance I'd read it increased from a clear zero to a 'very likely' if it would be translated. I think I'd even vote for it against Damekoi.

3 hours ago, Maxel said:

The main problem with WA2 is that it isn't simple average eroge 70/100 on EGS, it's TOP 2? or was it 3... don't remember, but it's one of the best rated VNs on EGS, the same with vndb.

I don't think it deserves average or below average fan translation by a guy who's not fluent in both english and japanese...  I admire his efforts, but I don't want them to continue doing this, and butchering the title... We don't need second Cross Channel, right?

This. I'd be a little miffed if a VN was being translated improperly, but not a VN that's so highly rated like White Album 2. It deserves professional translators to be working on it.

3 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

This. I'd be a little miffed if a VN was being translated improperly, but not a VN that's so highly rated like White Album 2. It deserves professional translators to be working on it.

While I can understand the reasoning, the current trend seems to indicate that popular translated titles seem to have the biggest chance to get a professional retranslation like Clannad or Hoshimem. And the ones with an actual decent translation at least get another editing pass.

So i wouldn't necessarily agree to that since popular and highly rated untranslated titles don't exactly seem to have a particular high chance to get a professional translation so far. And wouldn't a translation with some flaws still be better if the alternative would be a definite never?

I personally still prefer a half-decent translation of a great title a thousand times over a crap VN with good translation. Because even the best translation can't make a bad title good, while I can still get some fun out of a great title with a flawed translation. But that's just me...

5 hours ago, kingdomcome said:

I have some good news.

I asked this on their forums:

I'm very happy to hear this.

There's nothing to be happy about. What we've seen of Closing Chapter so far has been utter garbage. The White Album 2 translation is of abominable quality, and it's not something you should be looking forward to. Pretend it doesn't exist, and you'll be better off for it.