Conjueror's Untranslated Visual Novel Tournament [Discussion]

Maxel

6 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

Still, in the end it will probably come down to that either Dies Irae or Baldr Sky is allowed to loose against... Fate/Extra CCC?!

I wonder if the Type-Moon fans that joined later on are really aware that this is just a fun contest and they will neither get Mahoyo nor Fate/Extra CCC even if they'll win.

Someone still think that the game which will top the conquest will be translated? o_O

5 minutes ago, kingdomcome said:

Uhhh, can't believe White Album 2 lost. Not going to vote in this current poll, but looks like Mahoyo will lose regardless.

That's just how it is. White Album 2 didn't have enough support here in the west compared to Type Moon fans who want everything from them to be translated and brought over here.

10 minutes ago, Rose said:

Tsukihime > Fate in case you end up deciding to read something.

I actually decided I'd do this, but then the dated visuals put me off.  :vinty: 

6 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

They have played Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night and based off of their love for those VNs, they want more Type Moon over here.

I guess that's understandable, I also wanted the same thing with Akabei Soft2 (developer of G-senjou no Maou and Sharin No Kuni) . Though it seems the rest of their VN's are.. below average.

7 minutes ago, Down said:

(but ofc that comes from english jp readers who are pissed off at the english TM fanbase)

Sounds like an elitist attitude. :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, kingdomcome said:

I guess that's understandable, I also wanted the same thing with Akabei Soft2 (developer of G-senjou no Maou and Sharin No Kuni) . Though it seems the rest of their VN's are.. below average.

Once I know enough Japanese, I'll have to play their collection myself and see if any would be worth bringing over here. I highly doubt any of them will be on the quality of those two though.

4 minutes ago, kingdomcome said:

Akatsuki Works, the makers of Comyu, spun off from them and kinda interest me more now, although I'll always appreciate AS2 for G-senjou and SnK.  Hello Lady! is supposed to be really good but it's reportedly pretty difficult to read in Japanese, so it probably won't get a translation unless someone really commits.  Please, don't let ixrec get his hands on that one...

25 minutes ago, Zenophilious said:

Akatsuki Works, the makers of Comyu, spun off from them and kinda interest me more now, although I'll always appreciate AS2 for G-senjou and SnK.  Hello Lady! is supposed to be really good but it's reportedly pretty difficult to read in Japanese, so it probably won't get a translation unless someone really commits.  Please, don't let ixrec get his hands on that one...

Are the translations he does that bad? I've heard a few things about him, but not much about his translation quality.

4 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

Are the translations he does that bad? I've heard a few things about him, but not much about his translation quality.

Have you read one of his translations?  They sound off and presumably greatly change the writing style, not mentioning the fact that they're sometimes so literal it changes the meaning.  Cross Channel is supposed to be an almost entirely different VN in Japanese.

Just now, Zenophilious said:

Have you read one of his translations?  They sound off and presumably greatly change the writing style, not mentioning the fact that they're sometimes so literal it changes the meaning.  Cross Channel is supposed to be an almost entirely different VN in Japanese.

I don't know enough Japanese to be able to know that kind of thing yet. I'm currently reading Comyu and it hasn't seemed awkward so far, but as I said, can't tell the difference yet.

4 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

I don't know enough Japanese to be able to know that kind of thing yet. I'm currently reading Comyu and it hasn't seemed awkward so far, but as I said, can't tell the difference yet.

I don't either, but outside of normal conversations, his TLs tend to sound kinda strange in English.  All of his that I've read seem to, and I've read Comyu, Cross Channel, and part of Inganock.  There's a reason that they're heavily QC'ing MuvLuv and not just using his exact TL.

NVL type VNs are annoying to read in my experience. Wall-o-text format is a freaking torture to read because I cant see my pretty waifu's faces and expressions more clearly. Thats why I'll never vote for any Type Moon games even if their story is better. 

#GoBaldr!Webelieve!

Just now, CeruleanGamer said:

NVL type VNs are annoying to read in my experience. Wall-o-text format is a freaking torture to read because I cant see my pretty waifu's faces and expressions more clearly. Thats why I'll never vote for any Type Moon games even if their story is better. 

#GoBaldr!Webelieve!

I will also always prefer ADV VNs over NVL, but if a VN is NVL, it isn't gonna particularly affect my experience of the VN that much.

3 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

I will also always prefer ADV VNs over NVL, but if a VN is NVL, it isn't gonna particularly affect my experience of the VN that much.

Type Moon dont fucking know what being concise means and drag on narrations and descriptions for way too long, and I am not too fond of their writing style. Gahkthun did inner monologues and narration with ADV style really well, so I dont know why the fuck Type Moon is still using this annoying ass format. 

It's called "Visual" Novel for fucks sakes, not wall-o-text novel.

3 minutes ago, CeruleanGamer said:

Type Moon dont fucking know what being concise means and drag on narrations and descriptions for way too long, and I am not too fond of their writing style. Gahkthun did inner monologues and narration with ADV style really well, so I dont know why the fuck Type Moon is still using this annoying ass format.

You really don't care for your safety, do you?

I haven't played any Type Moon VNs yet so I can't form opinions on their writing style.

9 minutes ago, Rose said:

NVL allows for faster reading and better immersion, and I don't have to keep alternating between the text and the sprites. :P

Our generation can communicate using emojis alone! Can you believe that? :wahaha:

You should be able to read VNs through sprite expressions more than getting slapped by a dozens of paragraphs. 

Just now, CeruleanGamer said:

Our generation can communicate using emojis alone! Can you believe that? :wahaha:

You should be able to read VNs through sprite expressions more than getting slapped by a dozens of paragraphs. 

I like TM's writing to some extent, though at some point I just get tired of it, not like it doesn't happens with other great works anyway. I find it kinda lazy to just dump everything on the artwork, specially since sprites are heavily limited when you compare them to other visual mediums such as manga. Dozens of well written paragraphs will make things clearer than a line stating the character's current mood coupled with the same facial expression used throughout the whole story. If the MC's loved one was killed by the antagonist right in front of him, I want more than just a line or two stating that he's angry and the same angry sprite that was used when someone stole the chocolate he was saving for the weekend. If the visuals weren't so limited, I surely would think more highly of ADV. Still, I love books so NVL will probably be my favorite forever. :wafuu:

Now that I think about it, Quartett might be a good example of good "ADV", maybe I should try reading it to form a better opinion on the matter.