Root Double- Before Crime * After Days - Kickstarter launched!

Decay

10 minutes ago, LightBladeNova said:

The issue is development and licensing. The whole dev team in Japan has to come back to refit the engine to work with the increased script size, voices need to be worked out, basically a bit ol licensing hootnanny. They were not easily convinced to go back to working on this engine just cause.

Honestly, what exactly did they expect? That they can just hold out their hands and collect the money without doing something?! If you want to sell something you have to work for it, that's just normal. I know this isn't your fault, but I think this statement shows exactly what's bugging a lot of people since the start of the Kickstarter campaign: A lack of dedication from the original developers. This is particular obvious since the Libra team showed exactly a lot of this dedication.

While I really hope that this campaign will succeed and also backed it pretty much from the start, I think things would look a lot better if you could feel a bit more interest and enthusiasm to let this whole campaign succeed from the original developers.

So Sekai just sent out a correction email stating you can enter their contest by pledging $30 to the Kickstarter OR "You may also enter for free by mail to the address in the footer."

You can send them a ... letter in the mail to enter. As I'm not up on the legal aspects of giveaways, I'm not sure but this seems more legit because there is a way to enter for free. But, what the heck, sending LETTERS in 2016 to enter a contest?

Anyway, here's the info for anyone interested:

"NO PURCHASE NECESSARY to enter in our giveaways please mail your entry to the address below. 

Our mailing address is: 
Sekai Project
9415 Culver Blvd #166
Culver City, CA 90232"

Oh, sekai project....

149a402d09.png

4 hours ago, Marcus said:

You can send them a ... letter in the mail to enter. As I'm not up on the legal aspects of giveaways, I'm not sure but this seems more legit because there is a way to enter for free. But, what the heck, sending LETTERS in 2016 to enter a contest?

I'm no lawyer, but this is how most giveaways that primarily work off of purchases works. Like, you can buy a box of Oops All Berries cereal for a chance to win a sick Making of Paul Blart Mall Cop DVD, or they have an address on the outside of the box so you can write it down in the grocery store aisle and mail in a submission. The alternative free option is done by mail because nobody actually does that, giving people incentive to buy in instead. This is basically how everyone does it.

It's reassuring that they managed to legally cover their asses (or maybe "cover their legal asses" would be better?). However, even as credulous as I am, I don't know whether to believe the "we forgot about the free entry by mail" line... The only thing that makes it somewhat believable is that I find it even harder to believe they would have gotten as far as pushing that mail out without, just like this forum thread, somebody saying "Wait, isn't that illegal?".

Amusing relevant tidbit which I'm sure is not going to happen in this case: I've heard that it's also standard practice when operating a drawing like this to not actually look at the mailed-in entries. I mean, legally speaking, of course they were looked at. It's just that, well, when that random selection happened, none of those entries happened to get chosen.

It will definitely happen in this case...they didn't even bother telling people when they would have to have a free mail entry in by to make it count. If that doesn't scream they will be ignoring those entries I do not know what does. This is becoming hugely negative PR for Sekai Project, just why they thought they could get away with this I'll never know. Libra only required you spread the word about the vn not that you actually made a purchase (same with Muv-luv) although if you did back you did get more entries. Why isn't Sekai Project doing this? It would be much simpler and would cover their asses. People would also have an incentive to spread the word about it and they would probably receive more backers because of it. Instead they opt for all the negative things anyone else (including myself) have already said. It's bewildering and greedy. This is going to have serious negative repercussions for Sekai Project even if they manage to make the goal. They've damaged public relations. Jast recently took a hit to PR as well...it seems Mangagamer is the only vn distributor that so far is doing things more or less right these days.

16 hours ago, LightBladeNova said:

Did people decide that just now for Root Double? This is the worst possible time for people to give up on SP... save it for some run-of-the-mill VN, not Root Double... gahhh.

This has been going on for a loooooong time. There's been a ton of controversy for SP continuing to use Kickstarter as a platform for new releases (and dovac generally being a passive-aggressive asshat about everything) for a while.

And it's not just this KS either. Of their last three, one failed, one cleared the goal with only two days left, and this one could go either way. The fact that this is the highest profile of the three really isn't helping to prove that they haven't outstayed their welcome.

Turns out we were the fools all along.

2pcZQvh.png

Who are we to question dovac's grand plan?

edit: Some more additional information: The vast majority of pledges after the giveaway start are below the Vita tier. The Vita release produced a small bump that was leveling out just as SP announced the giveaway, which caused a new much larger surge that's still ongoing, although slowing down a little.

29 minutes ago, Decay said:

Wait, you're assigning that much weight to the giveaway? I think you're vastly overestimating how much people will care about or even notice SP forgetting to include a free option for an hour.

Nah was talking about the whole damn kickstarter and the way various aspects of it have been handled from announcement to present, of course people won't give a shit about the giveaway. Hell as much as I would like to say fuck it to this Kickstarter it's quite possible that I'll back at the 30 dollar tier near the end of it despite how many complaints I have. I do want to play this visual novel and I think most people will probably come around near the end if they fear the game never getting released. This game can only be good for the popularity of visual novels as a whole. If it manages to make goal before I come around though I have no issue with waiting for it to release normally. 

I've dished out enough negative thoughts about this kickstarter.. SP may not be the one at fault (but I don't know for sure), it seems they are stepping up now.

PLEASE give us a physical copy of the Vita version. I really don't care that there's 2 discs, but a physical copy means so much more to me.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news for anyone who wants a physical copy of the Vita version but that might be difficult to obtain. If the file size is over 4GB then you may have to get the digital copy in the end.

From what I've heard, Sony only made two types of NVG (PS Vita) memory cards for retail which were the 2GB and the 4GB ones. I've heard that they were planning to make an 8GB one but there's hasn't been any news about it since then.

If you guys are saying that they should use an 8GB one then you'd have to ask Sony about that since they've never release them. If you think that being able to put them into two separate chips just for one game, I'd say it's possible by using two 4GB NVG cards or one 4GB and one 2GB. However, you're wasting your money just for that convenience and you're also wasting empty space on the chip as well. I've never seen a company who would put a game into two separate chips just for the Vita. If it was a disc then yes, it would be possible since they're cheaper to produce than the Vita ones.

Implementing games onto a chip/cartridge is not the same as placing one onto a disc. The cost makes a major difference in this matter.

14 hours ago, LightBladeNova said:

Well... on the plus side, guys, the gameplay video is amazing:

This whole system looks horribly daiting-sim-ish. Really dislike it after this. Everything else seems to be great, but...I don't know, start is really heavy, and sudenly cute childish sprites. Kara no Shojo spoiled me in that matter it seems...

Root Double uses an eroge artist who draws moege, this may be a turnoff for some, actually. Usually these kinds of games use artists from outside the eroge sphere but I guess they wanted someone cheaper? Regista is a company that rarely makes their own games so they don't have any artists on staff. They did choose an odd one for Root Double, admittedly.

Looks like there was quite a lot topic here, so I comment some. And sorry if my post will offend the user here.

- About the claim this game was better than Steins Gate, I think it was more like one of Lemnisca staff opinion rather than the translator himself. Why I could be certain? Because I'd read some post back at Ever17 board on Gamefaqs. I think between Lemnisca staff, it was more like kilicool64 opinion, because back in Lemnisca site, he reviewed Steins Gate quite negative at 2/10 (Don't be mad Steins Gate fan, although I understand that popular game like that bound to had divisive opinion), while BlickWinkel himself was Steins Gate translator and according GundamAce Steins Gate was 1 of 5 his favorite game (The other are Fate/Stay Night, Root Double, Ever17, and I/O). But I agree if they want to promote like that, it was of course bad business model and Root Double (RD) was very different from Steins Gate (SG) anyway. RD deal with survival at nuclear facility, while SG deal with time travel.

- For RD, I think it was quite nice contrast. One deal with the rescue inside nuclear facility, while another scenario was deal with high school harem, and for the girls name in high school plot GundamAce commented that the name (Mashiro, Yui, Yuuri (I like Yuuri design by the way)) sound like generic name from the girls at the harem game lol, although I read at TV Trope (Which probably filled by GundamAce) Mashiro filled the same role as Sakuya back at I/O. To me, I think the setting is fine, because we had Ever17 in the past with route system and yet it managed to be still one of the highest score VN at VNDB, so maybe RD could repeat that?

tldr

- The claim RD better than SG I think it was more subjective.

- I didn't had any problem with dating sim style, although some people may disagree.

I think while Sekai business model was quite divisive, I also agree that was some major backhand dealing with Regista and Yeti needed to localize RD. So my stance for Sekai was neutral, didn't hate it too much while not supporting it too much also. Besides if someone want Sekai to be fail, I think Magical Boy VN would be better sacrifice for them lol (And it was failed back at Kickstarter). About RD itself, I'll give a comment about it later, maybe when it was about to be released in English.

That's all from me and once again I'm sorry if my post offend some user here.

The opinion was from Blick Winkel. He obviously loves S;G, but he likes Root Double more and wrote a little on why. I don't think anyone but the posters here looking for something to complain about were offended. I haven't seen much in the way of negative reaction elsewhere.

37 minutes ago, Decay said:

The opinion was from Blick Winkel. He obviously loves S;G, but he likes Root Double more and wrote a little on why. I don't think anyone but the posters here looking for something to complain about were offended. I haven't seen much in the way of negative reaction elsewhere.

To be completely honest, I also thought the phrasing in that email was more confrontational than necessary when I read it. I was actually a little taken aback because it came off as pretty childish. That said, I don't think anybody would be talking about it except that at this point people are looking for reasons to crucify this Kickstarter, so pretty much any little thing will do.

People like to crucify Sekai Project for their unprofessional business manner, which eventually leads to claims of deceit and fakery. Yet people crucify AAA developers for being too professional, which also leads to claims of deceit and fakery. Either what the gaming community wants is for developers to be their 'buddies' and 'chums', or maybe we're just a community that is incredibly hard to please.

In any case, I didn't see much wrong with what Sekai did, even if they probably did commit a faux pas. But alas that's what humans do. 

6 hours ago, Decay said:

Yup to be honest it seems like I'm the only person who misunderstood it. Which is odd because I'm usually (never) very smart! :pyaa: 

The kickstarter is really close to 81k at the moment. Seems like the giveaway kinda worked. Hopefully it keeps going steady for a while during the last stretch. Really hope this makes it.

4 hours ago, Dergonu said:

Yup to be honest it seems like I'm the only person who misunderstood it. Which is odd because I'm usually (never) very smart! :pyaa: 

The kickstarter is really close to 81k at the moment. Seems like the giveaway kinda worked. Hopefully it keeps going steady for a while during the last stretch. Really hope this makes it.

Honestly, it was a little weird for me too, but it's not like I was "offended" by it. I just thought it could've been worded a little better.

26 minutes ago, Runder said:

The number of backers are going to decrease the next few days until it hits the last day which it will probably get a few more than average.

It is really hard to tell if it will be successful or not.

Yeah, if we could get like one more big push before the last few days... then I'd feel less worried. 

I wonder if Sekai will still consider changing up their Vita handling during the last 1-2 days if funding still looks bad, as a kind of last ditch effort lol...

2 hours ago, Runder said:

The number of backers are going to decrease the next few days until it hits the last day which it will probably get a few more than average.

It is really hard to tell if it will be successful or not.

If they get to 100k before the last 3 days the final surge will probably push it over the base goal.