What are you playing?

I've red a handful of VNs over the past few months but never got around to really doing one of my usual misc. thoughts/comments 😅

A Clockwork Ley-Line: good if you're still into SoL high school setting, except make it in a magic school setting. There's not really heavy emphasis on the magic itself ie. no classroom infodumps about magic and/or students learning about magic and battling each other sorcerer vs witches style, just mainly protagonist Koga Michiru and friends from the Bureau of Investigation club running around trying to capture rogue magical artifacts that cause supernatural shenanigans to occur in the school, with an overarching mystery regarding the school itself. Trilogy, so you have plenty of time to get attached to the cast and watch the blossoming romance between Michiru and main heroine Shishigatani Ushio. Now that I think about it, I actually didn't finish this lol, stopped early on in the last episode because life so I'll pick it up #soon. 7/10

zWLt1TD.png

"Ya, the Bureau totally works for the sake of the school and aren't a part of any sketchy conspiracies :wink-1:"

Corpse Factory: randomly tried this OELVN, yes you read that right OEL, ENGLISH VN, and surprisingly had a pretty good time with it. The English voice cast was decent enough that I actually listened to most of the lines fully instead of my usual half-listen-but-then-move-onto-next-line-before-audio-finishes for regular JVNs. Plot was alright, was mostly intrigued by the characters themselves and how messed up in the head they can be. 8/10.

5hINUP5.jpg

"Yeah... I've never actually watched DEATH NOTE (i know, blasphemy, sue me), but I'd imagine there's some inspiration taken from it..?"

Spoiler

R4IixgH.jpg

"Uhh... yeah, keep dreaming bub."

wckdkE9.jpg

"...And you can keep dreaming too LOL"

Process of Elimination: The Detective Alliance consists of 100 super detectives that have a particular special ability and they are trying to capture "The Quartering Duke" a criminal mastermind who's been on a killing spree. 14 of the detectives get isolated trapped at their very own Detective Alliance Headquarters, murders start happening, and chances are the mastermind is among the 14...Yup it's a Danganronpa offbrand isolated murder mystery setting type with a quirky cast each with specializations, but hey you have technically 14 Ultimate Detectives this time around so how hard could it be to find out who's the mastermind :makina:?

The "investigation" and eureka! segments are played out as strategy RPG gameplay where you turn based move characters to points of interest and analyze evidence. Not as flashy as Danganronpa's classroom trials, and overall most of the murders and cases are pretty meh and ultimately the confrontation with the big bad totally falls flat and totally cannot hold a candle to Danganronpa's Hope vs Despair shenanigans, but it was fun enough. 7/10

GzGAddH.jpg

"^This here's 'Ideal Detective', and yeah, they totally made her such an ideal type lol. Btw the protagonist is known as 'Incompetent Detective'"

Umineko: When the Seagulls Cry: Sigh, yes, I finally got around to reading the masterpiece that is Umineko. I red someone say that Umineko's mass 10/10 ratings is from survivor bias- this thing is LONG, like probably the longest VN I've ever read, and took me like 1-1.5months on and off casual reading to take down lol. The 75hr length estimate on VNDB is no joke. And that's just for Ep 1-4, with 5-8 also being another 70+hr estimate!!! And so the people that did manage to finish were the ones that thoroughly enjoyed and thus were able to make it to the end.
Umineko's very good. Especially for its time. It's basically a murder mystery with an emphasis on battle of wits on whether it was done via a witch/supernatural or whether everything could be logic'd out and the culprit was human with realistic methods. It unfortunately kinda... devolves and drags later on, but I enjoyed my time with it. 8/10

"^If you don't get absolutely hooked on this VN by the time you reach the end of Episode One and hear this BGM, just drop the VN."

Master Detective Archives: Rain Code. Spike Chunsoft's latest Danganronpa x Al: Somnium Files had a baby. Technically not a pure VN since they have enough adventure game aspects so this game got the Zero Time Dilemma treatment on VNDB but yeah. 

LfpRSlB.jpg

"If you enjoyed Danganronpa's Classroom Trials this game implements some of that, and if you enjoyed Al Somnium Files' quirky female companion or the Somniums this game also implements some of that via Shinigami and the Mystery Labyrinths. Play it."

I feel like it's been twelve thousand years since I posted in this thread. So, I started reading Bokuten, and I hope I finish it. Actually, it's stupid that the last full-length VN I finished was in 2020. I started quite a few since then but lacked the motivation to continue.

So, does anyone know if there is some recommended route order in Bokuten? And should I use a walkthrough? I generally prefer to avoid using it, but there are some cases when necessary.

According to the localisation staffs, the route order are Minamo, Yuri, and Naruko before finally proceeding to Aine's route (aka the true route). As for using walkthrough, the choices are simple enough, although you may as well check the spoiler free walkthrough if you want to be sure.

For Bokuten, well, to me one of the route is like soap opera. Still, have fun on playing Bokuten if you didn't mind some sad story.

Edited by littleshogun

On 7/17/2023 at 1:56 AM, Dreamysyu said:

I feel like it's been twelve thousand years since I posted in this thread. So, I started reading Bokuten, and I hope I finish it. Actually, it's stupid that the last full-length VN I finished was in 2020. I started quite a few since then but lacked the motivation to continue.

So, does anyone know if there is some recommended route order in Bokuten? And should I use a walkthrough? I generally prefer to avoid using it, but there are some cases when necessary.

It still sits in my backlog, so I'm really looking forward to your opinion after you play it.

11 hours ago, adamstan said:

It still sits in my backlog, so I'm really looking forward to your opinion after you play it.

I've finished chapter one of the common route, and it seems pretty good for now! I'm actually surprised that the vndb rating is so low. After skimming over the reviews, it seems that people just complain about an utsuge being an utsuge.

23 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Actually, there's more than utsuge being an utsuge when it come to Bokuten's flaw, and you'll probably see why later.

Well, I tried not to read them in too much detail since I didn't want to be spoiled. It's entirely possible that things will go in the wrong direction later, and it totally happens with VNs sometimes. Hapymaher, for example, had excellent first few chapters, but later things got very weird. However, so far the writing in Bokuten seems pretty good, and while it does feel a bit cheesy from time to time, I can kind of relate to the characters. And the MC seems pretty good, which is rare for VNs. I think some people may find him annoying, but I somewhat understand where he's coming from. And yeah, he's quite obviously severely depressed.

So, I guess, I'll try not to have too big expectations, but I hope everything turns out well.

So, I guess I'm almost done with Bokuten common route. Well, that was something. Quite often, even in good VNs, common routes feel like a waste of time. I like SOL when it serves a purpose in the story, but I hate it when it's used as useless filler. However, the common route in Bokuten is nothing like that. Basically, every chapter tells its own finished story. And the choices it gives are often pretty difficult. Almost every option comes don't to whether you let a couple of lovers fall apart or let them come together despite all the complications it will bring them. I decided to follow a walkthrough since there seems to be a recommended route order, but now I wonder which route I'd end up at if I chose what I believed was right.

I am currently in the middle of PSVita version of Ano Ko wa Ore kara Hanarenai and it's a bit disappoiting :( So far I finished 3 out of 5 routes - I'm going in the order the girls are listed at choice screen, so I've already read Yuzuki, Manami and Haruka's routes. Console version gives not-so-subtle hint about Yuzuki being main heroine, since only her route gives gold trophy, with all others being silver :P And I think I'm glad I did her route first. It was decent, and common route was quite funny. But then, when reading Manami's route the things started to feel quite repetitive, and the SoL in this game isn't strong enough to carry it - they're no ToneWorks, that's for sure. But at least this route had a bit of a plot.

However Haruka's route that I finished yesterday was really awfuly bland, and when it ended I was like "Wait, that's it?". I checked against PC version, and it seems that this game is one of those borderline-nukige-moeges, with the main focus being on H-scenes (four per heroine, and the routes aren't long). And it became obvious in Haruka's route, which in console version has almost no meaningful content left 😕 GIGA went really cheap on this game - providing no extra content for console version at all. It's even bigger disappointment compared to how brilliant all-ages versions of Chocolat, Parfait and Kono Aozora ni Yakusoku o were. (But then, those three are written by Maruto, so I guess they're different league ;) )

I don't remember now, if  Aonatsu Line had additional content, but it had good enough story, that stood on its own without H content.

I'll read two remaining routes, but I start to regret buying this VN 😕 At least I didn't pay too much, since I got it on some sale ;) But if main body of GIGA's moege output was as bland as this title, then it's no wonder they folded 😕

Edited by adamstan

On 7/24/2023 at 9:29 AM, adamstan said:

I'll read two remaining routes,

Okay, yesterday I finished  Ano Ko wa Ore kara Hanarenai.

Aoi's route had some potential - nice fourth wall breaking, with routes and flags talk ;), and I think you can make some nice story with otaku-ojousama heroine, but in this case it again got totally wasted, because it is painfully underdeveloped. Just as Haruka's route, it's a collection of loosely connected short scenes, and while there are some nice moments here and there, the pacing and flow is nonexistent. It isn't as bad as Hachigatsu no Nostalgia, which was the worst offender in that aspect so far, but close...

Momiji's route, despite her being token loli-imouto-type character, was quite nice, and, like Yuzuki's and Manami's routes, featured more coherent story, (and some ichaicha outside H-scenes) but it also felt unfinished.

Not giving any replacement for removed H-content was really bad idea - the game feels unfinished, and the scenes often end quite abruptly.

So overally it was quite a disappointment - likeable heroines and nice comedy in common route got completely wasted by lazily done underdeveloped routes. 6.5/10 from me :( (If you play PC version, and H-scenes are to your liking, I guess you could add a 0.5 or even whole point to that score...)

Also, it doesn't play nicely with emulator, and kept crashing on me every 5 to 15 minutes 😕

• 2 weeks later...

Since recently WHITE ALBUM remake got Steam release, I started reading this. It seems to be direct port of PS3 edition, almost identical to DMMs version from 2012, but with added 1080p resolution and translations.

(I also have physical PS3 edition, but obviously PC port is more convenient)

I'm reading it in Japanese, but according to some reports, English translation seems to be decent (I might check it out later).

For now I can only say that it looks nice, I like the voice acting and lip-sync animation for sprites :)

Edited by adamstan

Decided to replay Venus Blood Frontier now that we have Gaia released and decided to try to get the best rank as much as possible, and let's just say that turned out it's far more difficult compared to when I just skipped several turn in order to gather the resource considering that it's severely lacking in the beginning. It didn't help that the enemies deploy much more troops compared to Gaia and Hollow, and not to mention several invasion that will ate the turn (You can just choke the invasion in Gaia and Hollow).

That said, I finally understand why people said it's quite hard, because I can't see why people said so when I play through Frontier the first time, although then again getting S Rank in Frontier first playthrough is amounted to Self-Imposed Challenge.

Edited by littleshogun

So, Bokuten. Had to pause playing for a few weeks, since I was either on a trip or busy, but I'm mostly done with Minamo's route. There's still the second ending left, but I doubt it changes much. And, well...

The common route was truly amazing. Honestly, compared to many other vns where it's just a complete filler, here each chapter of the common route tells its own complete story, and I believe it's a very good idea. Minamo's route, however, is simply boring. Honestly, it's just your cliche VN stuff without much substance. These types of stories is exactly why I don't really play many VNs anymore. I'd usually recommend to skip this route, but the true route is locked before you finish everything else, so it's not an option.

• 3 weeks later...

Somehow I cannot "get into" WHITE ALBUM. I'm really not a fan of dating-sim mechanics as used in this title a.k.a. "DIY common route" :P It all feels disjointed and flat. Fureraba also used similar system, but I feel like it had some more actual story between selectable scenes - while W.A. gives you only an "event" every few days, and in between it's just boring short selectable "conversation scenes", which feel somehow like a chore to get through... 😕 (especially since it's kind of maze you have to navigate carefully - like, with a guide - to land on the route you want)

So, I guess, dating-sims are too "sandbox" for me - I prefer more "focused" experience from VN.

(I also might be having a bit of moege burnout? I never thought this would happen ;))

Edited by adamstan

• 1 month later...

Damn, this thread is as dead as my White Album's reading :P

I haven't made much progress since my last post - I think that counts as "stalled" at this point ;) I might try to make it to the end of Yuki's route - perhaps the ending will wow me, although somehow I doubt it...

It seems that actual dating sims are simply not my thing - I feel overwhelmed by the "sandbox" vibe, and bored by repetitive "conversation" scenes... And then in this game MC doesn't work for me neither as self-insert nor an interesting character to observe :P

• Dergonu unpinned this topic

Well since I'm here.
Playing Chusingura 46+1 for the second time. Been a long time since I last played it. A long time since I played any VN at all tbh.

This has always been in my top 3 VNs of all time, and that def has not changed.
Actually playing the all-ages version this time. The official Japanese vita port is actually a great port of the game without butchering anything of the content. Even adds in a lot of new scenes, too. Pretty neat. So far I'm reminded once again why Kuranoske is the best girl and why chapter 1 is goat. On chapter 3 atm, and I do remember this absolutely destroying me last time so let's see how my feels hold up.

Chapter 2 was already pretty rough with ... well, if you know you know.

Anyways, if this actually gets me back into VNs I do still have 2 other Inre games I have to get to. Apparently they aren't nearly as good as Chusingura and bushi no kodou, but it's still Inre so I should give them a read.
Edit: Too lazy to change my signature, apparently the last game I played was Tetsu to Ra w

• 2 weeks later...

Started reading Cross Channel after @AmelieDoree's glowing review using the Amaterasu TL since it's supposed to be the only out of the three that's at least attempting to be somewhat accurate. I really like the game so far, but the TL notes are killing me sometimes.screenshot2023-10-15230f4l.png

Like what the hell is this? 1) "My stomach bug" is not a personification. 2) English has a metaphor with the identical meaning: "my stomach growls". It's even comparing the noise to one an animal makes. 3) The phrase "stomach bug" also exists in English, and means something different.

I'm usually quite lenient when it comes to TL quality, at least as long as there is some basic flow to the translated text, but when it's making me read three lines of text consisting of a wrong translation accompanied by a wrong TL note to explain a three word Japanese phrase that has an accurate three word English translation, it takes me out of the scene. So much so I decided to interrupt my read through and rant on the internet about it.

Edit: the next line is "like a beast". Goddamnit.

Edited by alpacaman

2 hours ago, alpacaman said:

Like what the hell is this?

:iamslain: There was a period when I was reading a lot of Japanese web novels fan-translated into English, and this kind of shit is exactly why I don't read them as much anymore.

But yeah, Cross Channel is a really good VN. Admittedly, back when I read it my proficiency in English wasn't yet good enough to understand all the nuances, so I've been thinking about rereading it eventually.

What am I playing right now? IxShe Tell - literally started playing it because I enjoyed the word play in Japanese, it's not bad, but it's not great either, just a meh SOL moege I think.

What have I played in the last 3 1/2 months while I've been off-work for medical reasons and effectively "re-found" that I love VN's (read a bunch in the 00's, and effectively read none from about 2008 until this summer, aka nursing school through now):

Muv Luv, Muv Luv Alternative, Gin'iro Haruka, Grisaia no Kajitsu, Hoshi Ori Yume Mirai, Kin'iro Loveriche, Kin'iro FD, G-senjou no Maou, Majikoi, Majikoi S, Cafe Stella to Shinigami no Chou, Noble Works, Sharin no Kuni Himawari no Shoujo, Making Lovers, Making Lovers FD, Riddle Joker, Sanoba Witch, Fureraba, Koi ga Saku Koro Sakura Doki, Princess Evangile, Princess Evangile FD, Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate

I may have a problem, my wallet is crying a bit, but weirdly I've spent less on VN's than I would for the same "time investment" in "normal games". With that said, I really hope Tone Work's's stuff gets officially picked up by anyone, but it's so lengthy that I doubt it...cost of official translation would be too high to realistically make a profit unless they charged 50-60 per sale. Also, I probably should've noticed this earlier, but typing out the list made me realize I pretty clearly have a SOL moege / charage thing...huh.

On 10/21/2023 at 10:30 AM, CgSquall said:

I may have a problem, my wallet is crying a bit, but weirdly I've spent less on VN's than I would for the same "time investment" in "normal games".

I can't say the same for myself :nani: I remember at the beginning of this year spending my first ever salary on VNs.... like, around 200€ on them. I swore to never again.

Well it's not like it's a taboo to telling what is Dohna Dohna here anyway seeing that most of VN readers are already know about it (It even has an article in regard of it at the main page), and yes I know the VN can be not kind at any time even ignoring that taboo topic. That aside, have fun with Dohna Dohna there. 

My Visual novel reading has taken off recently.

I finished off Tuition Academia (https://vndb.org/v33905)

Not the greatest of games, not the greatest of stories either. I liked the concept of the roleplaying being an utter slut, but they didn't really take advantage of it. Also that hidden ending didn't really work for me, at all.

I've completed; The Great Ace Attorney (both) (https://vndb.org/v15125)

I really liked it, I thought they pretty much nailed a lot of the British memes/cultural call outs, though it did get trying at times and they might have been able to trim some of the dialogue ~ I really didn't need hints for the 99th time we go through the deduction mechanic for example.

I also started and finished Doki Doki Literature Club (https://vndb.org/v21905)

I thought the concept was very clever, unique and somewhat interesting, though the ending was diminished partially because Academia kinda pinched it as well. I didn't think this story went far enough with the concepts, it was too short and too quick. I would like to see this kind of plot point dragged out over an in-depth story where you're constantly gaslit, and it would really tick the boxes for me.

So, I didn't really see the hype from the casual fans I guess.

I bought and completed Paranormasight (https://vndb.org/v42561)

Now, that was a treat! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Having a smart little story that connects well and some well written dialogue and characters worked for me. The main ending did fluff its lines and go into melodrama mode though, but I liked the concept and I thought it was just generally smart, didn't disrespect the reader's time or intelligence. I really liked how they incorporated gameplay elements into the story (saving for example), that was neat.

I have just bought on the JAST Halloween sale, three VNs;

1. Gore Screaming Show (https://vndb.org/v933

Really sounds interesting, and is my 'horror' pick for Halloween I guess. 

2. Hanachirasu (https://vndb.org/v430)

Not sure what to make of this one, but I'm up for something different.

3.  Study and Steady (https://vndb.org/v24689)

I don't know what has drawn me to this one, but it sounded interesting and maybe a little conventional from the previous two I just nabbed. And sometimes comfort food is okay. So we'll see how I get on with these.