Visual Novels that made you cry (Spoiler-free)

Kimanor

Edelweiss made me cry the most.. T_T

And also Hoshizora no Memoria and its fandisk Eternal Heart.

I think there are others too but can't remember any right now

I want to play the fan disk but my lack of Japanese reading skills denies me that luxery....

however, I will not give up... as I will not forget that girl! (erm, what was her name again? Y...)

I'll say Steins;gate and Maji de watashi ni koi shinasai

Which game/route in the series made you cry? I found both the original and S, quite light hearted.

If only I could read Japanese.  Damn my combination of laziness and ignorance.

Japanese isn't that hard to learn as some people make it to be, I'm 3 months in and I assume another week or two of studying and I'll be able to read my first VN in Japanese. If you want I can give you some good resources to start your learning process.

Japanese isn't that hard to learn as some people make it to be, I'm 3 months in and I assume another week or two of studying and I'll be able to read my first VN in Japanese. If you want I can give you some good resources to start your learning process.

I've picked up a guide from Ixrec, but I'm willing to look at alternatives. I should probably get started on that also since there are a lot of untranslated works I'm interested in (and not just VNs, either). What do you use?

I've picked up a guide from Ixrec, but I'm willing to look at alternatives. I should probably get started on that also since there are a lot of untranslated works I'm interested in (and not just VNs, either). What do you use?

oh Ixrec.. I wasn't aware this was his/it's name.. I used his manga-conversation a bit to practice.

To learn the characters I used this: http://www.tanoshiijapanese.com/home/

Then I used Anki with combination of this site Lessons and Verb Lists: http://123japanese.com/index.php?cmd=lessons

Also using this site as a dictionary: http://tangorin.com/

After a month or so I added some grammar guides from: http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar and  http://www.imabi.net (I like IMABI better) 

As conversation practice I used: http://amaterasu.tindabox.net/guide/j-comi.php and http://www.coscom.co.jp/learnjapanese201/index.html#topicshot

Now I'm finished with the http://123japanese.com/index.php?cmd=lessons 8 Lessons and I'm adding some more grammar information and sentences to my anki deck from IMABI, a yesterday I was going through the screenshot in VNDB and I was able to read/understand around 60% that was actually pretty exciting for me! :D can't wait to start reading Kud Wafter and see how I can manage with a full blown VN

Actually, I was thinking about making a full guide for all the tricks and methods I used to learn, because it seems like people believe that they should learn Japanese for years before they can start reading, and I don't think it's true at all.

Actually, I was thinking about making a full guide for all the tricks and methods I used to learn, because it seems like people believe that they should learn Japanese for years before they can start reading, and I don't think it's true at all.

Looks like Down compiled a bunch of resources for learning Japanese in this thread.  You could shoot him a PM if you have something that wasn't already on his thread  :3

Looks like Down compiled a bunch of resources for learning Japanese in this thread.  You could shoot him a PM if you have something that wasn't already on his thread  :3

Yeah I'm familiar with this post :P It's just that learning is not only about the resources but also the mindset and the method. We both could use the same book but not only learn different things, but also do it in very different ways.

Yeah I'm familiar with this post :P It's just that learning is not only about the resources but also the mindset and the method. We both could use the same book but not only learn different things, but also do it in very different ways.

Still, though, you could mention a few tricks and request that they be added.  Wouldn't hurt anything, right?  I thought that you'd probably seen it by now, since it is pinned in GD, after all, but I just wanted to check ^_^

Still, though, you could mention a few tricks and request that they be added.  Wouldn't hurt anything, right?  I thought that you'd probably seen it by now, since it is pinned in GD, after all, but I just wanted to check ^_^

I don't know if it's my not really great English but I don't get you, if I had a link for some good learning material then your argument is absolutely valid. But I'm talking about mindset and approach method - I'll need to create the post collecting these first. It's not like they exist anywhere else. After that I'll surely PM him and ask for him to add it! It's not like his post is full of tips/tricks etc, just a collection of other posts and resources directing you to these stuff

Btw: have you noticed that we tend to diverge from the topic of the OP and just talk between us. We should start PM ~shy face~ 

Have you ever shed your precious tears to a visual novel? Was it out of love for the characters? Hatred towards the antagonist? Laughter towards a certain event or the terrible plot? Or maybe you simply encountered a story that can relate to you?

I have to admit, I have certainly cried due to a visual novel. One such example would have to be Hoshizora no Memoria, particularly when I learnt what the mystery girl's name meant in Japanese. Such wonders you can only find in the Japanese language have made me shed tears.

So, I ask of you fuwanovel! What visual novels have you produced tears for!?!?!

A rule to keep in mind (though this is common sense):

Oh and keep this spoiler-free please! If you absolutely must spoil something, denote it in a spoiler caption, though also mention beforehand what visual novel the spoiler pertains to! Thanks!

i shed tears at the end of sachi's route in grisaia i was really moved by it

another time i cried was in G-SNM

and right now i'm reading sharin and someone told me that it made him cry at the end of every chapter so we'll see how that goes

One scene in both 999 and Virtue's Last Reward came pretty close...

(ENDGAME SPOILERS FOR BOTH GAMES)

999: The True End and the Safe End. Best sudoku puzzle. Ever.

Welp, two scenes.

VLR: Luna END. I'd probably cry during this one if I hadn't cheated thinking I'd just missed the passcode and login, and looked them up, and gotten Luna End before Sigma End.

It still brings me to tears that they are not getting a sequel...

Edit: Ever17 Sora Route spoilers

THAT IS NOT HOW YOU MAKE A GOOD END.

IT ISN'T A GOOD END IF IT MAKES READERS CRY.

IT IS NOT GOOD IF THE MC DIES, OKAY?!

Sora's my favorite Ever17 character, and she doesn't even have a good ending... ;-;

Let me weep in my corner.

• 1 month later...

I distinctly remember tearing up during the good end of Sachi's route, in Grisaia no Kajitsu.

I probably also cried at random moments during Fate/stay night.

Er... I have this thing with terrible timing, in which I finish visual novels late in the night. But after a certain time in the night (way too early, 11PM), my brain stops working and my emotions numb. That means there were plenty of sad or terrifying moments I got through by being too sleepy to care. Examples are the CLANNAD anime, to which I didn't shed a single tear. 

I probably also cried in Haruka's route in Little Busters, but I don't know if I just felt happy or actually cried.

I am relatively new to the idea of Vocaloids. Still have never played a rhythm game~ So when I read Mirai no Kimi to, Subete no Uta ni I didn't know a damn thing about Miku and I found it to be more serious. It ended up making me cry. The protagonist was actually a pretty nice guy so I definitely felt sympathy for him.

The ending was iffy after the sad part though

Grisaia

- Sachi made me tear up because I was happy, such a heartwarming ending. But I'll admit, I had tears on my eyes while reading her route because of how good the voice acting was and how sad thing were.

- Michiru actually managed to make me emotional enough to shed a tear in the middle of her route.

Konosora

- Amane's ending made me so happy, couldn't help myself.

Katawa Shoujo

- Emi scene: Phantom Limbs. Enough said.

- Shizune bad end didn't made me cry, but I felt uncomfortable, extremely so. I'd rather cry due to sadness than having to read anything like that again.

- I shed a tear on Hanako's good and bad endings.

- Rin neutral end was so hard to deal with, I don't think I actually cried but I felt the tear forming on my eyes.

A lot have made me tear up, but the only two that have caused me to start bawling uncontrollably are Tsukihime and Katawa Shoujo.

Tsukihime made me bawl at the end of Arcueid's route, and I've cried to some extent at the end of every other route so far except Ciel's.

Katawa Shoujo made me cry because of a very personal attachment to one particular character. Hanako is a burn victim, and so am I. I felt so close to her that I couldn't stop the tears no matter how hard I tried.

• 4 months later...

let's get the obvious ones out of the way first: ef - a fairy tale of the two, Grisaia no Kajitsu, Clannad, Kanon, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime.

The less obvious ones: Utawarerumono, Tears to Tiara, Devil on the G-string, Sharin no Kuni, Muv-Luv (extra and alt.), Hoshizora no Memoria, -=Ayakashibito=-, Da Capo 2, Yosuga no Sora, Wanko to Kurasou (that last one really surprised me, didn't expect much at all from it going in).

I'm sure there have been others, but those stick out most in my mind for the long-term.

I cry all the time, so it's almost easier to list the VNs that didn't make me cry. So I'll just mention a few that really made me a sobbing mess.

Steins;Gate - Almost every endings and few other scenes

Grisaia no Kajitsu - Michiru

Katawa Shoujo - Hanoko's and Lily's endings

VLR - Luna's Ending

The feeling you have after crying out of happiness/sadness/whatever for some scene is somehow really fulfilling, thoughts just drifting in the memories of the touching parts.    

Katawa Shoujo only lilly's path

when you are on the hospital and you hear the music box

Narcissu, reading this line

"There was only one picture recorded of her smile in this cheap throwaway camera...but it was proof that we lived."

Muv luv Alt

when Marimo dies and then when you go back and see her alive again, that scene was very strong.

ef - a fairy tale of the two. I didnt cry but almost did with this one

when you read the message in the paper airplane

Family Project is the only VN to have ever actually made me cry, but I think that was more IRL stuff I had going on at the time. Here's some that have made me feel like it.

Seriously sad/Beautiful: Kana Little Sister, Narcissu, Kira Kira, Family Project, Little Busters, Song of Saya, Swan Song

Kinda sad: Cross+Channel, Edelweiss, 999, Ever17, Da Capo, Private Nurse, Katawa Shoujo