Anime Boston and Sakura-Con Speculation and Announcements thread

Decay

I'm pretty sure MangaGamer has already released games in this manner.  Ask them for their sales data.  I still argue the data wouldn't be very useful.  Sales are entirely dependent on the number of impressions.  If people don't know about your game they can't buy it.

Market potential and market reality are two entirely different concepts.  If you want to fight to bring more attention to eroge, support LewdGamer.  Donate money.  Write articles for them.  They're the only outlet I know of that consistently covers eroge and makes it part of their mission statement.  Supporting activist groups is the only way to enact durable change.  People tell you to buy games but that's a drop in the bucket that doesn't make much of a difference by itself.  Support people who actually fight on the frontlines and consider joining in yourself rather than just arguing in circles on forums.

2 minutes ago, Codesterz said:

Funny you should mention 10,000 words is considered a short story as that tends to be around how long a 10 hour VN is -_-.

Depends on your reading speed. I read more than 10,000 words in 10 hours. Easily. I finish books in that time, over 10 times as big, but I've had a lot of practice reading. I know some who read faster, and some who read slower. This is why measuring VNs in 'hours' is useless. This is why you saying 'it's a 10 hour VN' when people's reading speeds vary wildly is useless - the people you're talking to can't get an accurate impression of size.

3 minutes ago, Codesterz said:

Whenever someone tell you its a 30 minutes drive to so and so location I want you to correct them and say you mean 30 miles.

That would depend on the time of day, and the speed limit. 30 minutes in peak hour traffic is often different from 30 minutes in normal traffic. What they may say is 'it will take 30 minutes to drive there' which means 'taking into consideration the time of day, the speed limit, and your driving habits, it will take 30 minutes to get there.' Context is implied. If they don't take that into consideration, they're giving you a bad estimate. Feel free to respond with a punch in the face.

And when you say it's a 10 hour VN, it may mean 10 hours for you, 50 hours for Billy Bob, and 2 hours for Clephas. Who knows, too many variables.

Time has never been an accurate or good way to measure how long a book is, and it never will either, despite what the VN community and VNDB like to practice.

7 minutes ago, Codesterz said:

The whole poor writing thing you are WAY OFF with. I value characters over story. This holds true for me in games, VNs, movies, anime, manga, novels, etc. If I don't care for any of the characters why would I be interested in their story. I love character fluff, sure there is point where you can over do it. If a VN ends within 10 hours It's very unlikely I will become attached to any of the characters.

I brought this up in another thread. Slice of life character stuff in a slice of life story is cool. That is why YKK is one of the best manga created even though it was made 20 years ago, top slice of life. Literature also has this. HOWEVER, slice of life or too much slice of life in a story with a plot detracts from the story. The scenes may be humourous, it may show character interaction, but the plot always suffers. You may enjoy such novels, but it is undoubtedly a poor writing technique in most hands, and it will turn many, many people. Which is why SB scored LB a 4/10.

Character development can occur within scenes which move the plot forward, and a few slice of life scenes are okay, but on the whole Japanese VNs overdo it. Most of Key VNs overdo it for starters. Deardrops probably. Kira Kira probably. Ever 17 definitely etc etc.

3 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

I've never heard of this.  Please elaborate.

The availability of these Steam restoration patches is important because, for all we know, the games might not sell as well on Steam if these patches weren't available.  Try telling Japanese developers that their sales are benefitting from piracy though.

I see my memory has failed me again ... :( 90's, something related to JAST went bankrupt, I'm sure of it ...

2 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

consider joining in yourself rather than just arguing in circles on forums.

A lot of work, Sanah :P Very few people are willing to work for their hobby

21 minutes ago, Codesterz said:

I'm not asking fans to not make a restoration patch. The whole AO patch thing is referring purely to Nekopara where the patches were official. Plain and simply... Sekai Project release VN with both AA and AO versions... release them on the same day... DO NOT SELL AN OFFICIAL PATCH THAT RESTORES AO CONTENT... People would in most cases buy 1 version or the other... and then after say a few weeks look to see which sold better.

This would be very bad for people like me that live in countries where the dollar is expensive, honestly the regional pricing of Steam is almost a bless for me. If I had to buy in dollar the price of Nekopara would be enough to buy Grisaia on Steam, if I had to buy in dollar the price of Grisaia would be enough to buy two copies of Clannad on Steam. With patches the price is significantly low what is already something more affordable.

2 minutes ago, Caio000 said:

This would be very bad for people like me that live in countries where the dollar is expensive, honestly the regional pricing of Steam is almost a bless for me. If I had to buy in dollar the price of Nekopara would be enough to buy Grisaia on Steam, if I had to buy in dollar the price of Grisaia would be enough to buy two copies of Clannad on Steam. With patches the price is significantly low what is already something more affordable.

I'm about to showcase my poor memory again. I remember someone commenting on this forum, from Brazil I think, on the price of MG VNs from Steam. Because of regional pricing I think they were getting it at less than half the price of US customers, which is nice. So yeah, definitely an advantage of Steam :) 

I'd just like to say that because Australia has no regional pricing, and our dollar is currently 70US cents, well ... :( 

10 minutes ago, Rooke said:

I see my memory has failed me again ... :( 90's, something related to JAST went bankrupt, I'm sure of it ...

That was JAST USA's Japanese parent company, which went bankrupt a few years after JAST USA was established.  I'm sure that had little or nothing to do with JAST USA's operations, especially since it's not at all uncommon for Japanese companies to look at English markets as a desperate remedial measure in times of financial trouble.

23 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Funny you should mention 10,000 words is considered a short story as that tends to be around how long a 10 hour VN is -_-.

That doesn't add up, you got an order of magnitude wrong here.

Most people read between 150 and 400 words per minute. 10 000 words should take you between 25 minutes and an hour. Even an unskilled reader wouldn't be much slower.

To give a figure easy to picture, an average book in english would have around 400 words per pages (around 40 lines with an average of 10 words per lines). That of course varies a lot depending on font, language, format, etc but let's settle with 400, 10 000 words make a 25 page "book". The 40 000 words limit Rooke mentioned would make 100 pages, which sounds reasonable.

A 10 hour long VN is more likely to be, for the "average" reader (which is only a statistical entity, the dispersion is large), the equivalent of a 150 000 words / 375 pages novel. Visual novels are REALLY long. Of course the comparison is not very good, because I'm using a lot of averages and assumptions, the method of delivering the text is different, etc...

Yeah, 10 hour VNs will have 150,000 to 200,000 words, easy. Tyrael's Kindred Spirits review published here just a couple days ago has over 2,000 words, I doubt Codesterz is taking 2 hours to read it. Something tells me his estimate is just a wee bit off.

@Codesterz, you're entitled to your opinions, but I'll just say that your standards are pretty off. You make demands of SP then place completely arbitrary restrictions on those demands that only make sense for you and you alone. It's no wonder that they aren't able to reliably meet them. You can have your preferences of not liking shorter VNs, but don't be surprised when you continue to see large amounts of that stuff, and don't discount SP's efforts when they start making strides towards simultaneous AA/18+ releases just because you don't like some of the games. 

You can access some of their Maitetsu stuff, like http://www.lose.jp/official/ev , which contains a picture of Hachiroku in a microbikini. 

As well as this http://www.lose.jp/official/maitetuyoyaku (NSFW) which has a bunch of pictures of character crossovers between Maitetsu and Monobeno, all naked. 

So, if this is some attempt to keep westerners from seeing how sexual Maitetsu is then they did a shitty job. 

8 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

That's a pretty shitty thing to do even if you hate the guy.

Agreed.  That's just pathetic and low, and that's coming from someone that strongly dislikes him and wouldn't be sad to see him leave SP.  There are certain things you just don't do, and harassing someone for such a shitty reason is one of them.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say it's probably some people on /jp/.  They tend to be consistently terrible people and are known to really hate dovac and SP.

2 minutes ago, Zenophilious said:

Agreed.  That's just pathetic and low, and that's coming from someone that strongly dislikes him and wouldn't be sad to see him leave SP.  There are certain things you just don't do, and harassing someone for such a shitty reason is one of them.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say it's probably some people on /jp/.  They tend to be consistently terrible people and are known to really hate dovac and SP.

I agree. Harassing somebody you hate is crossing the line especially if it's over a stupid reason like your hentai games being censored.

Edit- I know people aren't very happy with his decisions, but he's kinda in a lose lose situation with MaiTetsu to begin with. Don't harass the guy just because he'll censor a VN with sexual scenes with obviously underage girls. If you really want to read those scenes, go learn Japanese and read them rather than harassing somebody for them. This is also coming from a guy who doesn't like Dovac and Sekai Project very much.