Anime Boston and Sakura-Con Speculation and Announcements thread

Decay

On March 25th, both Anime Boston and Sakura-Con are kicking off in Boston and Seattle respectively, and MangaGamer and Sekai Project will be at both! Both companies have teased announcements. Anime Boston's site doesn't give a full panel schedule, but as far as I can tell MangaGamer is holding a panel only at Anime Boston, and Sekai Project is holding a panels only at both AB and SC.

MangaGamer

MangaGamer's panel will be held at March 25th, 10PM EDT in Hynes panel room C, that's 25.5 hours from the time of this post going live. They are teasing three announcements on their site. You can see their 2016 licensing survey results article for some hints about what we will see. Some are pretty specific, some are really vague, there's no indication of what will be announced when. The one thing we know is that in the past, MG has indicated when a new partner was involved, and there's no such indication here so we can assume that all three announcements are for existing partners. 

My predictions? MangaGamer has teased sequels and "continuations," so it's probably time for either Imouto Paradise 2 or maybe Otoboku 2 if you want to get a little crazy. We may also see the next Alicesoft project announced, but I think it might be a bit too soon for that. And here's an oddball prediction: Maybe ChuSinGura? You see, that announcement page used to list just two announcements. Then at right about the same time the ill-fated ChuSinGura Kickstarter campaign canceled with the claim of outside funding, MangaGamer mysteriously added a third announcement slot without telling anybody. I'll admit that the odds of this being pure coincidence are really high, but it's fun to speculate!

Sekai Project

SP is now promising FIVE new game announcements this weekend! Their Sakura-Con panel is at March 25th, 7PM PDT in room 4C-3 (25.5 hours as now, same time as MG's panel), and their Anime Boston panel is at March 26th, 11:30AM EDT (39 hours from now). There are no real hints on what these announcements might be. SP these days are publishing a real mish-mash of game types, so there may be multiple non-VNs announced. I suspect one of the announcements will finally be Sharin no Kuni, which according to TLWiki boss and translator Moogy was in the plans after G-Senjou no Maou, and involved a large amount of retranslation/editing.

So what are your predictions? What are you guys hoping for?

Still holding hope for a SonoHama game, even if I'm in the minority.

Would be really interesting if they picked up Chusingura indeed, at least then we would be able to actually hope for a decent translation, but I honestly don't think it's going to be that.

As for SP, anything goes really, but one thing we know is that it'll likely be a VN that already has a translation. :makina:

You know what would be a huge curve ball? If they licensed Rewrite. I mean, it's a hugely popular Key game that's not been picked up, it seems like such a good opportunity for any company to invest in, plus there's no added drama over 18+ releases. One can dream. :sachi:

Just now, Nosebleed said:

You know what would be a huge curve ball? If they licensed Rewrite. I mean, it's a hugely popular Key game that's not been picked up, it seems like such a good opportunity for any company to invest in, plus there's no added drama over 18+ releases. One can dream. :sachi:

Isn't that a pipe dream?  Key seems to be set on doing their own thing and translating their own titles now.  I really doubt they'd go back to SP at this point, or any other localization company, unless they majorly screw something up in one of their new releases that makes them look bad and incompetent.

1 minute ago, Zenophilious said:

Please, Santa and Jesus, I know I don't believe in either of you, but I've never asked for much, so please, let MangaGamer have stolen ChuSinGura out of b2g's/JAPAN CONTENT's/whatever the hell they're gonna call themselves next's incompetent hands.

No matter what happens, it seems b2g/Japan Content is still in control. I suspect that whoever is providing their outside funding will only do so after b2g successfully completes a Kickstarter for it, presumably with a much lower goal. 

If we're gonna speculate about ChuSinGura then Sekai Project is also just as likely because I remember them saying they'd have only 2 announcements for these two events and now they have 5. But, to be honest, I'd be pretty surprised if it actually got picked up by either so quickly—especially since the Kickstarter was asking for $210,000 and they did say they would be re-launching.

Anyway, I think there's a good chance Koi to, Guitar to, Aoi Sora from the devs of Atom Grrrl got picked up by Sekai Project as evidenced by this tweet.

Dovac also made a tweet that their biggest announcement of the year would be this weekend, so something bigger than KARAKARA or Hoshimemo is likely, whatever that would be.

Other than that, it's anyone's guess.

Just now, Zenophilious said:

Isn't that a pipe dream?  Key seems to be set on doing their own thing and translating their own titles now.  I really doubt they'd go back to SP at this point, or any other localization company, unless they majorly screw something up in one of their new releases that makes them look bad and incompetent.

Well, Little Busters managed to do it, so it could happen. I highly doubt Key is doing in-house translations (because Japanese companies suck at it), they're probably outsourcing it to some company, so they could very well make some form of agreement with SP. Just a conjecture though.

It's either a big title or smaller doujin games, that's usually how SP rolls with the announcements.

Well, it's anime Boston so I don't really expect any big announcements yet. So it'll most likely smaller titles like short doujin and nukiges from MangaGamer and maybe some OELVN and 'Steam-nukiges' (aka Sakura titles) from Sekai Project.

But an announcement of an official release of a fan translated title like Sharin no Kuni is certainly also within the realms of possibility.

2 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

That's an interesting idea... if I were going with that train of thought, I'd double-down and speculate that both Rewrite and Harvest Festa got licensed. I'm gradually becoming more enamored of my theory that the reason there haven't been any official progress announcements on Harvest Festa, but progress nonetheless is apparently getting made, is that Amaterasu has been part of licensing talks. And you're right about it being a good opportunity, what with the popularity of Key in general and the upcoming anime adaptation.

3 minutes ago, Zenophilious said:

Well, they're not dead-set on doing their own translation, at least, since around the same time as the Harmonia announcement came the Little Busters! announcement in partnership with the existing fan translators. They'd almost certainly pull in Amaterasu for both Rewrite and Harvest Festa. However, as to whether they'd also pull in a US publisher again, that does seem somewhat unlikely, unless they're finding things more trouble than they expected with the Little Busters! experience.

Anyway, I'll be there for the SP panel at SakuraCon and will report back here, whatever they announce.

2 minutes ago, Decay said:

No matter what happens, it seems b2g/Japan Content is still in control. I suspect that whoever is providing their outside funding will only do so after b2g successfully completes a Kickstarter for it, presumably with a much lower goal. 

Dammit.  Here's to hoping they still fail and the final nail gets put in that crapfest's coffin.  I wonder who was dumb enough to give them money, even with strings attached.

2 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

Well, Little Busters managed to do it, so it could happen. I highly doubt Key is doing in-house translations (because Japanese companies suck at it), they're probably outsourcing it to some company, so they could very well make some form of agreement with SP. Just a conjecture though.

It's either a big title or smaller doujin games, that's usually how SP rolls with the announcements.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Fruitbat Factory landing LB  :sachi:  My bad.

Probably just a bunch of doujin games and 1 or 2 "real" announcements.  That's typically what they tend to do.  I still think it's amusing that they're endlessly grabbing new licenses even though they haven't even gotten Meikyuu out the door yet  lol

Key doesn't "license" their titles out anymore. They didn't license out Little Busters, they hired Fruitbat Factory to finish the translation and will distribute it themselves. MangaGamer wouldn't ever sign such a deal, there's not enough in it for them.

6 minutes ago, Zenophilious said:

Dammit.  Here's to hoping they still fail and the final nail gets put in that crapfest's coffin.  I wonder who was dumb enough to give them money, even with strings attached.

Like I said, I suspect it *might* be MangaGamer. Whoever it is, that's funding CSG now, If they're halfway competent, they will provide TLCers and editors, or some kind of oversight to make sure there's some guaranteed level of quality. If it's MG, they'll definitely ensure that it's not a shit product and I would want it to succeed.

I do hope Imouto Paradise 2 will be on the list, but than again I am a bit of a freak. It would certainly be nice if Mangagamer would mention if they were in further talks with Alicesoft, although wouldn't it be a bitch if Alicesoft withdrew their support of Mangagamer due to whatever reason..... I still would like to have a status update.

For Sekai Project I imagine there will be several titles made by obscure circles and a few titles of some renown, but due to various circumstances Sekai project will do something rather stupid and piss off the people who want the title.

MangaGamer will probably at least have 1 VN I would be interested in and I'm expecting mostly bad indie titles from Sekai Project. Even if they announce a highly anticipated title, they'll kickstart it and in some way piss off the people who want it. They've done it so many times at this point that it's a given coming from them.

5 minutes ago, Decay said:

Key doesn't "license" their titles out anymore. They didn't license out Little Busters, they hired Fruitbat Factory to finish the translation and will distribute it themselves. MangaGamer wouldn't ever sign such a deal, there's not enough in it for them.

Like I said, I suspect it *might* be MangaGamer. Whoever it is, that's funding CSG now, If they're halfway competent, they will provide TLCers and editors, or some kind of oversight to make sure there's some guaranteed level of quality. If it's MG, they'll definitely ensure that it's not a shit product and I would want it to succeed.

I meant "landing" as in doing the rest of the TL, since I know Fruitbat doesn't actually publish anything.  Makes me wonder if SP would agree to such a deal, though, since Dovac and Co. at SP always whinge on and on about being in the red whenever anyone questions why they keep doing Kickstarters.  I mean, if all dovac eats is ramen and soda, then that must be true  :makina:

If it is, then I might, but only they do more than just put it up on Steam.  If it's MangaGamer, then there'll be an 18+ version for sure, but if it's pretty much anyone but them or JAST (I think we all know it's not JAST  xD), then I'd have my doubts.  If it is indeed MG, then I don't really know why b2g/mysterious Illuminati company/the Faceless Men would still be involved at all.  I'd be hesitant to trust anything that b2g has said so far, aside from the fact that they are (probably) legit and did what they did with inre's approval (considering that they didn't get insta-DMCA'd/C&D'd), and that would include the possibility of them relaunching.

concerning sp my guesses are tsuriotsu, sakusaku, irosekai or astral air (yes i´seriously believe in this) & sharin no kuni + 1-2 unknown doujin. coming to chusingura ominous sudden sponsor... the very same ones, for them being well known in managing kickstarter campaigns

on mg´s site, dunno really, but imopara2 & some of the recent sonohana titles should be there.

11 minutes ago, XReaper said:

concerning sp my guesses are tsuriotsu, sakusaku, irosekai or astral air (yes i´seriously believe in this) & sharin no kuni + 1-2 unknown doujin. coming to chusingura ominous sudden sponsor... the very same ones, for them being well known in managing kickstarter campaigns

Man, I wish I'd have just 10% of your optimism. :o

20 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

Man, I wish I'd have just 10% of your optimism. :o

i dont think they´re that unlikely though. imopara2 & any sonohana are pretty much a given on mg´s end.
excluding chusingura (or not, do as you wish), only tsuriotsu is a gamble, but considering navel IS willing to see their games in the west & what apparently happened, only sekai is more or less left. think i remember someone from mg stating navels better titles using up alot of ressources to license/publish, which on the other hand a sekai initiated ks-capaign could manage financially. as for sakusaku/irosekai/astral air... one of those seems pretty likely either.

edit. if the big announcement isnt going to be tsuriotsu than i´m betting bet my hound, my girlfriend & some beer on akagoei, even though sharin isnt out yet (might have found a way)

I think I'd type my long post back in Mangagamer Survey Result thread about what is my wish for announcement, but let me write shortened version. By the way I used survey result as basis for speculation. For the company, I'd really wish that they go with August since their VN was not fully translated and always cursed only had partial patch. Although I'd also know Light had Dies Irae, I suggested August because their VN was more consistent in quality imo, while Light also produce some mediocre games before Dies Irae. But we obviously still didn't know much until tomorrow morning at 9 am (in my time zone) obviously though. For speculation of new company, maybe Type Moon? And by the way, interesting speculation about Chusingura, Decay

For Sekai, interesting that they'll announce 5 projects. But I think I'll far want to know when they make announcement about Root Double release on Steam (Download version is fine). Either way if some people hate Sekai and wish their kickstarter to failed, guess it mean that there will be 5 sacrifice candidate to be failed when kickstarted lol. For Boston announcement, obviously we must wait and to me it'll be at 2 am on March 27th (Coincidentally it's easter by the way). About Sharin announcement, guess it's more possible for Sekai considering their modus operandi (Although the one who announce that was infamous moogy though, but still don't let guard down). Oh I didn't want to speculate about Sekai, and as for Favorite games, I think the fans will continuing to transalate it ignoring Sekai (Hopefully), because back when Sekai announce Tenshin Rahman, we finally got Noble Works translated which it was from same company (Yuzusoft).

I think that's all I could write here. Sorry for my bad english here, and I'll try to standby at 9 am tomorrow.