Tokyo Babel Released!

Darklord Rooke

Grand news, denizens of wherever. The much respected Tokyo Babel, a novel released by renowned developers, ‘Propeller’, localised by esteemed translators, Conjueror and Gare, and to be distributed by beloved MG, can now be trialled by you, the adoring[1] public, through a free demo.

Gaze in astonishment, play the trial, and pre-order (it doesn’t have to be in that order.)

http://blog.mangagamer.org/2016/03/18/tokyo-babel-demo-now-available-for-download/

tokyobabel-pre2.jpg

[1]‘Adoring’ as in ‘you’d all better be adoring cause I know voodoo and will poke every single last one of you if you aren’t’ ahahahaha ...

EDIT: Was this post pushy? I don’t think it’s pushy, but some folk are saying ‘it’s too much’. 'Too much' what? Words? Enthusiasm? I dunno. They weren’t exactly very clear, so it’s not my fault if I don’t understand what they’re saying.
EDIT2: And now they're groaning in what I imagine is supposed to be frustration, but what in reality sounds like a Wookie in heat. That's even more incomprehensible, and doesn't exactly clarify matters.
EDIT3: Ouch!

Damn. Just about when I supposed to open this thread and suddenly @Rooke stole my job lol. Either way, I think since release time almost come, might as well use this thread for future discussion of Tokyo Babel. As usual, I'll try to explain Tokyo Babel in regard of review and seiyuu info. which hopefully could raise your interest to this game.

As of now, I'd tried to download this game demo, but the size was unexpected big (I expected only 200 MB, while I just saw 2.1 GB). Might as well comment it later about the demo.

Well, thanks though for opening the thread, since I confused to open it or not. And not, in case you think it's too early to open discussion, I'd opened Evangile discussion 41 days before release back at VNDB.

I really like these demos. I want to go in with as little knowledge as possible, but also I want to get some taste beforehand. So I ended up doing the same I did with Gahkthun, just read good few lines (didn't even finish a scene), confirmed that it's good and hyped myself in the process.

Can't wait Tokyo Babel!

Being serious for a moment, if people want to see more of these sorts of stories getting an official translation, and we're getting a high quality translation here, they'll probably want to support Tokyo Babel if they're able. Gahkthun did not sell that well, and if Babel also doesn't sell well then the future isn't looking good for these sorts of stories being translated in the future :( 

I'm just hoping Steam boosts sales figures.

3 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Damn. Just about when I supposed to open this thread and suddenly @Rooke stole my job lol.

I was in a whimsical mood, and I thought I'd make the opening post a little ... fun :P 

@Rooke No problem, although my role here was change slightly though, not opening the thread but only posting information lol.

Okay, as promised here, I'll try to give as much info about Tokyo Babel as possible and, I think I'll give seiyuu info in slightly different format (And most of the seiyuu had more role in anime), by also give MAL link to seiyuu.

Anyway, the premise was surely interesting with ruined world, heaven and hell setting thing. Also super powered thing. I'm pretty sure that I didn't catch much of it from the VNDB synopsis anyway. So, in here we'll have our MC Setsuna voiced by Hiroshi Kamiya (Matou Shinji from Fate/Stay Night), the first heroine Raziel (White haired girl) voiced by HanaKana (Shina Mayuri in Steins Gate, Kagari in Rewrite), 2nd heroine Sorami (Red haired girl) voiced by Kanae Ito (Didn't had any role in translated VN), and the last heroine Lilith (Black haired girl) voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro (Mint from Galaxy Angel trilogy, Dlanor from Umineko, Aruru from Utawarerumono). And for heroine I mean those character who got routes (For your info, I'd very heavily suggested that all of the user here cleared the route according to the order heroine I'd give. So the ideal order would be Raziel, then Sorami and finally Lilth). I think that's all for the route information.

For the side cast, surely it was had all-star seiyuu. It will probably too much information, but we got Eri Kitamura (Chiester 410 from Umineko, Senri Akane from Rewrite, Sakihata Rimi from Chaos Head), Ai Kayano, Sakurai Takahiro, Abe Atsuhi, Ookubo Rumi, and Saiga Mitsuki (Tanbo Ryouko from Saya no Uta, Zepar from Umineko) for anime fan. And for VN fan here (I'll include VNDB link here too) we got name like Isshiki Hikaru/Tanaka Ryouko (Kurugaya Yuiko from Little Busters, Neon from Gahktun, Sakaki Yumiko from Grisaia franchise, Hinaori Kagome from Comyu, Ichinotani Touko from Ayakashibito), Hokuto Minami/Hitomi (Sakura from Da Capo franchise, Primula from Shuffle, Sakakibara Koyuki from Majikoi, Tokita Yuki from G-Senjou, Tamase Miki from Muv Luv franchise), and Asami Imai (Just MAL this time, since her alias in VN was quite diverse. Anyway her VN role was Morishita Michiru in Koichoco, Okitsu Ai in Yumina the Ethereal, Makise Kurisu in Steins Gate, Yoshitsune in Eiyuu Senki, Toba Mashiro in Root Double, Nafqa in Madou Koukaku). I was definitely missing some of the seiyuu here, but I think with those above data prove us that Tokyo Babel will be definitely all-star seiyuu cast here.

The opening by the way was rock song, and quite good and different from usual VN opening. Oh, for the writer (Higashide Yuuichirou) here, he was also write Princess Waltz and Ayakashibito, so I think if some of user here find Princess Waltz or Ayakashibito good, you could also expect good writing from the writer.

As for review, I think I'll present the link to each of review here. And for the opening, I'll post @Clephas review from VNDB first (Sorry to borrow your review by the way) below.

Spoiler

Here we have yet another chuuni game, with yet another anti-hero protagonist. I particularly like this protagonist despite his somewhat mechanical personality because the way he reacted to his early life is pretty much the same way I think any human would have acted in his place, given a full realization of just what was desired of him. This game is one of those with very distinct routes, splitting off wildly from one another, and in some cases, even the different endings on the same route have long branches from the original path. The three heroines, Sorami, Raziel, and Lilith are all interesting characters in general. The humor in this game is good enough that it will probably have anyone who likes Propeller giggling nearly constantly, so it is safe to say it is enjoyable in that respect.

As a warning to those who do not like gloom and doom settings, you probably won't enjoy this game as much as you would some of the other ones by this company. Most of the endings - even the good ones - are somewhat gloomy and I was almost tempted to tag this as an utsuge at times. This game draws heavily from Christian mythology (and mysteriously, it actually manages to get it right a lot of the time) and the resulting setting is interesting. There are some pretty good twists along each of the paths (I recommend playing it in the order of Raziel, Sorami, and Lilith simply because of the revelations that occur in each individual path). Lilith's path is only available after completing the other two and it is a tell-all with no real secrets held back. So, I seriously wouldn't recommend the tactic of using save data to go straight to Lilith if you want to enjoy the other paths. 

Overall, this game is a great play, though extremely long even as plot-focused VNs go. This is a game that will take at least thirty hours for even the fastest reader to complete and most people at least fifty hours, so don't expect to be able to clear a path in a single day unless you are pretty fluent.

For the linked review, I'll posted below. And here's the was the warning. BELOW OF MAJOR SPOILER. IF YOU FEEL SPOILED BLAME YOURSELF. Because each review was contained spoiler to some degree.

1. Warum - Double Babel (The spoiler was less than the first one, but it was still spoiler, so beware. Also spoiled this untranslated VN there. Oh, Tokyo Babel was on left side in case you didn't care about spoiler and go there)
  2. Asheld - TAG ARCHIEVES: TOKYO BABEL (Beware of major spoiler for each route there, since he also did review for each route)

I think that's all for Tokyo Babel review I could find outside.

As for the demo, I'd still not playing it. But for those who didn't play the demo or only want to hear the voice, how about the video from Youtube propeller channel here ? Since I didn't know Japan, I think it's only contain first few hour or so (Maybe all demo content) of the game and some skit. But if some of you here know the Japan you'll understand the video (Duh).

The last thing, I'd was surprised that demo size was 2.1 GB (I though it was only around 200 MB), although I'd hope full game size was only overestimation from Mangagamer, since they said the game size will be around 15 GB.

I think that's all for the info about Tokyo Babel for now. And I'll try to write demo impression here later.

PS - To all mod here or @Rooke himself, may I request to change the thread title to 'Tokyo Babel Discussion' or something like that after March 31st (The reason should be obvious).

PPS - In case you want to know my expectation, I was looking forward to this game.

Edited by littleshogun

Ok, the wall of text above me kind of scares me, as I came into this thread to say "I wont play it, I want to keep the hype by going unspoiled" :wahaha: 

Managed to not read any of it. Phew. 

Really looking forward to this game! Last month it was Beat Blades Haruka and now this. Mangagamer keeps releasing awesome stuff. :miyako: 

4 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Ok, the wall of text above me kind of scares me, as I came into this thread to say "I wont play it, I want to keep the hype by going unspoiled" :wahaha: 

Managed to not read any of it. Phew. 

Really looking forward to this game! Last month it was Beat Blades Haruka and now this. Mangagamer keeps releasing awesome stuff. :miyako: 

#GahkthunWhen

@Dergonu Actually, I'd tried to keep my post as clean from spoiler as possible, so if you read my post you only find mostly about seiyuu info from me. Although it will be nice you reread it though. Oh, I'd already give spoiler warning before you click the linked review, because it was full of the spoiler from Tokyo Babel.

I forgot to comment about this, but for the first 3 months of 2016 Mangagamer managed to release 3 big release (Yurirei, Haruka (Actually might count as nukige, but still), and now this) which is of course very good, while last year for first 3 months of 2015 Mangamer only had 2 big release (eden and Evangile). Just want to comment about it here. As of now, I think Mangagamer was the most productive company for churning out good games (Although some fan was disappointed that they only release download version though), while JAST still slow with the release as usual (And at this moment they had Seinarukan Golden Master). Still waiting for Sekai news in regard of Root Double, but I think Sekai release this year was only few short VN (Atom Grrrl, Strawberry Vinegar, and Nekopara 2) for first 3 months. Still better than JAST though, which their release was only infamous Flower demo lol.

Oh, back to Tokyo Babel, I think it's good that this game already attract some user here. That's all for now in regard of my post.

22 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

@Dergonu Actually, I'd tried to keep my post as clean from spoiler as possible, so if you read my post you only find mostly about seiyuu info from me. Although it will be nice you reread it though. Oh, I'd already give spoiler warning before you click the linked review, because it was full of the spoiler from Tokyo Babel.

I forgot to comment about this, but for the first 3 months of 2016 Mangagamer managed to release 3 big release (Yurirei, Haruka (Actually might count as nukige, but still), and now this) which is of course very good, while last year for first 3 months of 2015 Mangamer only had 2 big release (eden and Evangile). Just want to comment about it here. As of now, I think Mangagamer was the most productive company for churning out good games (Although some fan was disappointed that they only release download version though), while JAST still slow with the release as usual (And at this moment they had Seinarukan Golden Master). Still waiting for Sekai news in regard of Root Double, but I think Sekai release this year was only few short VN (Atom Grrrl, Strawberry Vinegar, and Nekopara 2) for first 3 months. Still better than JAST though, which their release was only infamous Flower demo lol.

Oh, back to Tokyo Babel, I think it's good that this game already attract some user here. That's all for now in regard of my post.

Ah I see. 

I just wanted to make sure I don´t read any accidental spoilers :sachi: 

Yeah Mangagamer has been doing really well so far in 2016, and I hope they keep going like this. (They also have W. Happiness coming, which I´m looking forward to, and their DMR codes seem to be all but gone. A good year indeed.) 

Just pre-ordered the game, (Because apperantly I had not done it yet! :pyaa: )