Clannad FuwaReview Discussion

solidbatman

I can't even shit on anything (besides that fact that you're still using numeric scores like a tool), because I haven't actually finished Clannad yet. 

But don't worry, I'll be sure to return once I'm done with it. Then I'll gladly explain why I'm so much smarter than everyone else. (or not, because I'm lazy and Clannad is too long.)

I can't even shit on anything (besides that fact that you're still using numeric scores like a tool), because I haven't actually finished Clannad yet. 

But don't worry, I'll be sure to return once I'm done with it. Then I'll gladly explain why I'm so much smarter than everyone else. (or not, because I'm lazy and Clannad is too long.)

But don't worry, I'll be sure to return once I'm done with it. Then I'll gladly explain why I'm so much smarter than everyone else.

Thank you for your incredible contribution to Fuwa Society. 

I agree with your review except for Ryou and Kyou being ok at best but that's just me. Also pointing that the novel is too long specially if you don't enjoy some routes.. well that can be applied to any vn really not just this one so it seems a bit unfair. Finally the ending is debatable (for being good or bad) and a very subjective thing, but overall I think it was a nice and accurate revi..... *looks at the score*

YOU SON OF A BITCH :saber:

really good review.:sachi:

I agree with your review except for Ryou and Kyou being ok at best but that's just me. Also pointing that the novel is too long specially if you don't enjoy some routes.. well that can be applied to any vn really not just this one so it seems a bit unfair. Finally the ending is debatable (for being good or bad) and a very subjective thing, but overall I think it was a nice revi..... *looks at the score*

Hidden Content

The main reason I point out is length is because of how off putting it can be to newcomers. I explain it in the final paragraph. But thank you for the kind words! 

I agree with your review except for Ryou and Kyou being ok at best but that's just me. Also pointing that the novel is too long specially if you don't enjoy some routes.. well that can be applied to any vn really not just this one so it seems a bit unfair. Finally the ending is debatable (for being good or bad) and a very subjective thing, but overall I think it was a nice revi..... *looks at the score*

Hidden Content

The main reason I point out is length is because of how off putting it can be to newcomers. I explain it in the final paragraph. But thank you for the kind words! 

Well I agree that for a newcomer might be a bad thing specially if you add the complicated routing choices but again I think that's a common problem for most of the vns that have several routes and are long.

*See's solidbatman wrote review*

*Scrolls down to the score ignoring the text*

"solidbatman YOU SON OF A BITCH... oh wait"

*Reads review*

Personally, I got mad before even clicking on the link. :makina:

Good review! You thought more highly of it than I expected. To be perfectly honest, the text of the review reads even a little bit more positively than the score might indicate, but this could be due to a difference in scoring philosophies. Anyways, good work bats.

Hidden Content

Well I agree that for a newcomer might be a bad thing specially if you add the complicated routing choices but again I think that's a common problem for most of the vns that have several routes and are long.

It is something, I personally frown on in a VN. I like my story focused, and without all of the fat. Clannad does a good job of not making things feel like "fat" so to speak. 

*See's solidbatman wrote review*

*Scrolls down to the score ignoring the text*

"solidbatman YOU SON OF A BITCH... oh wait"

*Reads review*

Personally, I got mad before even clicking on the link. :makina:

Good review! You thought more highly of it than I expected. To be perfectly honest, the text of the review reads even a little bit more positively than the score might indicate, but this could be due to a difference in scoring philosophies. Anyways, good work bats.

It kind of comes down to how I weight things in my reviews. I disliked the ending, being the biggest factor, followed by some bad routes, followed by bad art. Endings are incredibly important to me. 

I also gave it a 7 on VNDB (and bitched about it for the longest time to anyone who'd listen). Every time I see that 7, I consider myself extremely generous. I'm such a generous guy. Go me.

I would also personally replace the "depends on how you feel about Nagisa" bit (I didn't feel strongly either way about her) with something like "depends on how you feel about copious amounts of really REALLY shit physical comedy".

Edited by Ariurotl

Sweet, sweet review. Agree with the score, agree with some of the points. It's really overhyped, 7 isn't a bad grade and it isn't a bad review and yet Key fanboys will be distinctly unhappy with the lack of worship and fawning.

Speaking of which, I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and say Mr. Wilder is from Kaza. Seeing as you somehow ticked them off in the past (it's a mystery as to how) and he seems to be holding a grudge...

Sweet, sweet review. Agree with the score, agree with some of the points. It's really overhyped, 7 isn't a bad grade and it isn't a bad review and yet Key fanboys will be distinctly unhappy with the lack of worship and fawning.

Speaking of which, I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and say Mr. Wilder is from Kaza. Seeing as you somehow ticked them off in the past (it's a mystery as to how) and he seems to be holding a grudge...

Nah. Just some random 

Well, the guy who gave LB a 4/10 already lost his credibility, so I don’t even know why bother…

INB4 Key fanboys :makina:

That's a very nice review you wrote there, Bats. Clannad is propably one of the most overrated vn's ever, mainly due to it hooking on people's emotions. Nonetheless, it's still a good read, especially if you like slice of life and drama. SP did a great job on the localization and hopefully, we'll get more classics from them soon.

Screw the game, gimme this review any day of the week! Top job Bats, this is the kind of review I look at for inspiration on writing.

I haven't completed the game yet so I can't comment completely but from the 80% of it I've played I would give it a 7/10 as well, maybe an 8/10.
I would disagree on Kyou's route, I thought that the ending to her route was fantastic, one of few times I have been literally brought to the verge of tears. 

Personally, I have never played Clannad, so correct me if I'm wrong about some of the points I bring up, but I guess I can't get behind having an emotional attachment when it comes to high school drama. More specifically:

I just don't cry like other people do when a 17 year old dies giving child birth. These kids are in high school and haven't even faced some of the challenges the real world has to face. Like most Key games, resurrecting someone at the end of it all and giving a happy ending just negates the whole purpose. I wish they kept the character dead, as it would have left a much stronger impact. A young father having to explain to his young daughter why his mother is no longer alive? So much potential lost here. Like all Key games, magic saves the day. There is a reason I feel Charlotte did so poorly. I guess at the end of the day I am just tired of Key's formula being used over and over again.

Personally, I have never played Clannad, so correct me if I'm wrong about some of the points I bring up, but I guess I can't get behind having an emotional attachment when it comes to high school drama. More specifically:

Hidden Content

On the other side of the spectrum, you have aberrations like me,

who want to see exactly that. Magic, friendship, love, family, or any other happy variable saving the day and everyone lives happily ever after.

Then again, I haven't read CLANNAD either, although I fully intend to just as soon as payday arrives.

Honestly this is a pretty solid review and not just because of your name. I'd rate the game somewhere between a 7-8 myself but I'd have to replay it to see if that remains true after all this time...can't do that though until my damn package is shipped out.

I'm torn on this one. The review itself is well-written and thorough — nice job, Bats! — and since I haven't read Clannad, I have no opinion on the score one way or the other. (Still slogging my way through Rewrite. I'll get to Clannad eventually.)

My ambivalence comes from the fact that you're not really reviewing the Sekai release as such. By your own admission in other threads, you didn't really have time to read the entirety of the new version, instead opting to skim part — After Story, I think? — and extrapolating from there. I wish that had been noted in the review, since what you're essentially doing is reviewing your memory of the FTL version of the VN, then guessing how you think the new translation and remaster might apply to it. I'm not sure if that really works, though. What once might have seemed like lame comedy or forced drama in an earlier version, for example, might be much more effective with a new translation.

Let's put it another way. I'm a huge Dostoevsky fanboi. I have six different translations of The Brothers Karamazov sitting here on my shelf. I try to read at least one version a year. Yet when I first picked up TBK, I absolutely hated it. Thought it was tedious. I'd chosen a very literal translation that lost all the poetry and soul of the original, and it wasn't until I found a much better translation that I fell in love with the book (and the rest of Dostoevsky's works). In essence, those versions were two completely different books that happened to share the same story and title. There's no way I could have reviewed that second version by reading a few back chapters, saying I liked this translation better, but then concluding the book as a whole is still pretty boring. Because in the new translation, it isn't boring. It's not even the same book. Translation transforms a work into something new. To review it means to reread it — all of it.

Of course, if you somehow squeezed in a full non-CTRL reading of the VN in for the review, please ignore all the above. ;)

Hidden Content

Nagisa dying was one thing, but it went into bullshit when the daughter died as well. It was a "let's make it as tragic as humanly possible before magic resurrection" moment. Anyway, Charlotte went to shit not because "magic" but because bullshit rushing and being all over the damn place and forgetting earlier plot devices and let's not forget the sudden romance that had not been present for the entire show that just came out of nowhere and also introducing completely useless characters that vanished without a trace later on. While it had great potential, they ran it to shit. It would be a good show with 25 or so episodes. If it had to drag on a bit then it would still be much better than what they made.