Little Busters! FuwaReview Discussion

solidbatman

It is never a good idea to compare to completely different VNs by their review score. Instead, look for similar VNs around that review score. I hope to have a Clannad review ready soonish for that purpose. 

In terms of what the VNs do, Sakura Spirit does what it sets out to do better than Little Busters! does. 

I find it hard to label Little Busters as shit just out of spite.

I definitely don't think it's a masterpiece, but I wouldn't write it off as below average (average being a 5), although I would mention that, just like every Key game, it's all about the characters, so your experience will really vary depending on how you relate to them. I think each of their routes has flaws, story wise, but at the same time I don't think that's they were really aiming for anyway, which still doesn't excuse the bad writing, but if the reader's mindset is in the right place, Little Busters can definitely still be an enjoyable read.

so you're confirming the story is flawed and the writing is bad.... hmmm...

Yes, and those still aren't enough to write this off as bad, at least for me.

I also don't think the writing is terrible, just that it has inconsistencies.

I liked playing Little Busters, obviously, and I try to understand why I like it, even after analyzing it on a technical level and comprehending its flaws, I still think it's an enjoyable enough experience, so the game must have done at least something right for me (and plenty of others) no?

Personally, I'd give LB a 6, I think it's not as average as you can get, I think it has its strenghts as a charage that caters to a specific audience.

But if you hate the entire cast, I doubt it'll be a pleasant experience.

The review is harsh but fair. I feel that I can pretty much agree with everything said in it except for the actual score itself, which to me is pretty irrelevant anyway.

Too be honest it was the handling of the supernatural aspects that was it's biggest flaw. It wasn't bad in Refrain and I didn't mind Yui's route but for everything else like Kud and Mio's route it was done really poorly.

If Little Busters is a 4/10, all the scores on my VNDB lose 5 points, meaning the highest score I've given is a 5 and I'm heartless to the point of giving 1's.

Jesus Christ, I don't know anything about writing or plots or story, but if Little Busters! is bad what the hell is all the crap I've been playing and reading? Should I just conclude I've got no taste whatsoever and continue on my merry life?

I'll leave all this judging and analyzing to those who care. I'm in for the enjoyment, not for good pieces of literature.

The review is harsh but fair. I feel that I can pretty much agree with everything said in it except for the actual score itself, which to me is pretty irrelevant anyway.

Too be honest it was the handling of the supernatural aspects that was it's biggest flaw. It wasn't bad in Refrain and I didn't mind Yui's route but for everything else like Kud and Mio's route it was done really poorly.

While Little Busters is, without a doubt, my favorite VN, it's also very much a love it or hate it type of game. Hell, the same can be said for most of what Key puts out. Honestly, even though I love LB and its characters to pieces, the complaints in this review are pretty valid ones.There are a lot of plot conveniences that, although somewhat explained by the overall plot/refrain, could definitely be distracting. The common route is long, but if you enjoy the characters- as I did- it's a really fun read. It's really just a matter of whether the good outweighs the bad, and vice versa.

So while I bash Bats for having shit taste in VNs, I can see where he's coming from. Regardless, if you haven't read it yet, I wouldn't write it off straight away.

Eh, scores don't really matter. It's the body of the review that has the most meaning.

Good job, solidbatman! As someone who sees this game as a masterpiece, I was surprisingly lax while reading your review. I know how passionate you tend to be when it comes to Little Busters discussions, but unlike other negative reviews I come across from critics, you didn't let your passion affect the integrity of your writing. Our opinions on the game contrast significantly, but I do have a lot of respect for you in this regard.

I'm glad I didn't decide to pick this VN :Kappa:

If you enjoyed any Key Visual Novel, especially ones older than LB!, then you'll probably enjoy LB! too. I find them to be pretty enjoyable, even tho most of what Bat said applies to them, and it does seem like most VN readers are the same.

One big thing he didn't even mention however is the comedy. I find the comedy in Little Busters! to be the best in all the KEY VNs I've read, and that's saying something. It's simply hilarious, and if you have shit taste can't enjoy it then this VN is probably not for you