Which Propeller Game do YOU Want?

Clephas

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you want after Tokyo Babel?

• Bullet Butlers
    • Chrono Belt (Bullet Butlers and Ayakashibito crossover story fandisc)
    • Evolimit
    • Kitto, Sumiwataru Asairo Yori Mo
    • Sukimazakura to Uso no Machi

This poll is closed to new votes

It is a simple question... since Mangagamer has begun localizing Propeller games, which one do you want the most?

Bullet Butlers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY49-ZUTFV8

Chrono Belt

Huge Spoilers for Bullet Butlers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhDhvFRPR9Y

Evolimit (My recommendation) 

Kitto, Sumiwataru Asairo Yori mo (the better of Propeller's two non-action, non-chuunige)

Sukimazakura to Uso no Machi (a slightly above-average quality nakige)

Bullet Butlers is a sort-of cross between old noir films and swords and sorcery fantasy, where orcs, lizardmen, and the undead exist and where sorcerers support their gun-armed comrades.  It is a fairly bloody action VN, with a butler protagonist armed with a demonic magnum revolver and his dragon-newt mistress.  The tech level is about the same as the mid-WWII US.

Chrono Belt is a story-focused crossover fandisc for Ayakashibito and Bullet Butlers with Kuki-sensei from Ayakashibito and Alfred Arrowsmith from Bullet Butlers as the protagonists.

Evolimit is a science-fantasy where the descendants of the colonists of Mars fight the mechanized horrors that terrorized their ancestors with the powers granted them by something they found on Mars.  The protagonist and his companion are two of the first expedition (which was wiped out) that are awakened from cold sleep at the beginning.  It is a fairly straightforward heroism and personal growth story, with really powerful (in both character impact and actual power) characters and an interesting setting.

Kitto, Sumiwataru Asairo Yori mo is a combination mystery/fantasy/nakige with an emotionally powerful story, excellent cast of characters, and enough catharsis to fill a bucket with your tears.  Check out my blog for my comments on this one.

Sukimazakura to Uso no Machi is a decent nakige based in a mysterious town that exists alongside the more mundane city of Tokyo that apparently only liars can enter.  It has really good character development and decent catharsis, but it is noticeably lower in quality than the other games mentioned above.  It is also the only Propeller game where the protagonist isn't voiced other than the nukige Tekoire Princess.

Voted Evolimit. Kouryuu has posted on the MG forums that he thinks translating Asairo would be possible. Granted, he did this a couple years ago and maybe his thoughts have changed, but he's one of the top dogs at MangaGamer so I kind of doubt they'll tackle that one any time soon. I wonder what your thoughts are on that matter, Clephas. Asairo has that reputation that it can never work in English, do you think this is overblown or accurate?

Mmm... while the tag says kanji puns, a lot of it is parallel meaning.  There are a lot of references to how a name is spelled in kanji, its meaning, and how the same word can have multiple meanings with the same pronunciation.  It is a bit more critical to the story than you'd think from the tag.  It would take some really interesting linguistic gymnastics to make that transfer from Japanese to English.  In simple text amounts, it is an easier sell than Evolimit or Bullet Butlers, but in terms of translation difficulty, it is higher than either at points.  Evolimit doesn't really have that kind of excessively complex language (lots of scientific terms, but tling those is straightforward)... and a lot of the most important stuff in Bullet Butlers is in katakana, so the only problem would be figuring out the spelling.  The most difficult in both would be combat scene translation, to be blunt.

Edit: Also, I suggest anyone who plays Asairo have prior knowledge of the story of Momiji of Togakushi and Tamamo no Mae (a fusion of these two is used as part of the base story).

Sanahtlig, play Sougeki no Jaeger.  If you can still look at it as a good idea after that, then we can discuss it.

Edit: If you want another way of looking at it... Sougeki no Jaeger is to Propeller VNs what Ephemeral Fantasia is to jrpgs.  http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/ephemeral-fantas

lol... I remember going into Sougeki no Jaeger, pinning my hopes on Propeller making a recovery after the disaster of Pygmalion... but instead what I got was something that started out like a fourth-rate chuuni anime from the nineties and ended abruptly with the destruction of an antagonist you met basically an hour before the ending and know almost nothing about.  Bare bones stories are one thing, but leaving only the marrow behind is kind of overdoing it.

Edit: I smashed the disc afterward.  I took great pleasure in lighting it on fire and dancing around the coffee can while screaming my rage to the sky.

Edit2: I did regret not taking it to a second-hand store afterward... I would have gotten at least some of my money back.

Edit: I smashed the disc afterward.  I took great pleasure in lighting it on fire and dancing around the coffee can while screaming my rage to the sky.

You should have send it back afterwards with a letter that says "I demand a refund!" (however you wanna write that in obscure kanji)

I pick Evolimit as my first choice since I've heard so many good things about it, Bullet Butlers as my second since I've played a little of it and liked what I played from the lore to the fact that it has a buddy cop routine between an orc and a lizard man: that is reason enough for me to want this. Chrono Belt comes in third place since I'd like to experience Bullet Butlers first so I can enjoy the crossover.

I picked Bullet Butlers (I love Noir and Noir in a fantasy setting sounds awesome) but Evolimit would be a close second although for my third I would like a proper release of Ayakashibito and then possibly Kiito.