What are you playing?

I'm part of that group that started VN's thinking they were all utter mind screws like 999 and Ever17.

If I were to opine, I preferred Ever17 for its long slice of life like segments where slowly but surely more and more mysteries were introduced as some smaller ones were solved; most through regular info-dumps about our situation or the backstory of the facility. We also get to romance some of the characters, and I can say I really got attached to them all quite a bit.

It really depends on what you consider bad pacing. I don't think it's bad, but some may. It's mainly a mystery sci-fi slice of life VN, with romance in some routes.

It does. It really, really does. 

I avoid VNDB's rating system for the same reason I avoid all anime rating systems. It's pretty simple, the anime scene is made up predominantly of young males, and so most anime rating systems have shitty shounen crap at the top scoring 9 and 10s. Similarly, the Visual Novel scene is dominated by young males and to put it frankly, I don't trust their taste in stories :P. IMO 'Ever 17' is overhyped up the wazoo, but everybody has their own opinion on things.

There's really no such thing as 'objective ratings.'

I just rate based on how I felt while watching it  Untitled-1%20copy.png

I'm part of that group that started VN's thinking they were all utter mind screws like 999 and Ever17.

If I were to opine, I preferred Ever17 for its long slice of life like segments where slowly but surely more and more mysteries were introduced as some smaller ones were solved; most through regular info-dumps about our situation or the backstory of the facility. We also get to romance some of the characters, and I can say I really got attached to them all quite a bit.

It really depends on what you consider bad pacing. I don't think it's bad, but some may. It's mainly a mystery sci-fi slice of life VN, with romance in some routes.

I love me some lovey-dovey slice of life. If I am going to read a 50+ hour VN it's going to need romance somewhere. Guess I will stick with it and form my own opinion and what not. If the timing is bad with the lovey-dovey stuff though then I can see how it would be bad.

Just cleared a few new routes in Majikoi S. I have a love and hate relationship with it, as same as I have with previous game. While it has awesome cast, really funny dialogue and intriguing situations, the heroine routes is where I mostly have seem discomfort, with Yamato no less.

Yeah, he is smart, and some stuff he says and do are cool, but his slight personality change issues is what bothers me the most. His personality adjusts depending on how the heroine is. Shy around Nee-san, acts more like a perv and sex addict around Yukie and shit talker and teaser around Chris. And honestly, I like Chris but her route (just like the first VN) is annoying at best cuz' it's a constant arguments between the two. I like Margit, but her route was just sex so I'm indifferent towards it. However, Tsubame's one where she takes the lead was refreshing. She was able to counter Yamato's trick talk and outsmart him. She was more playful and assertive, and I like that a lot. Didn't like Tatsuko's route, but it still made me like her even more. All in all, I wish the MC had different personality, or at least didn't do actions taht would make him above them,as I like the girls and other side characters and would enjoy it even more.  But, that's just my opinion.

Anyway, onward to the next VN.

I cant imagine Yamato being a masochist. It just doesnt fit him.... If you want a more "romantic" softcore version of him, Majikoi A-2's Monshiro's route (untranslated) is all fluff, marshmallows and happy sex.... well since the route is all about their life after they are 

married. Although Loliconia fans might not like her growth spurt when she turns into a mature hot bombshell.

I like Ever 17 so much, I liked it much more than 999. I agree about the pacing issues, but the overall story is unforgettable.
the characters were much better in my opinion, especially Sora and Tsugumi. also, I liked how every route tried to deliver a different storytelling experience ( like all works from Nakazawa really ).

I like Ever 17 so much, I liked it much more than 999. I agree about the pacing issues, but the overall story is unforgettable.
the characters were much better in my opinion, especially Sora and Tsugumi. also, I liked how every route tried to deliver a different storytelling experience ( like all works from Nakazawa really ).

IMO 999's characters were better (Sora is literally my favorite character in anything though, and Tsugumi IS pretty great) and I would say that the uniqueness of Sora's route is indeed part of what I love about it so much

IMO 999's characters were better (Sora is literally my favorite character in anything though, and Tsugumi IS pretty great) and I would say that the uniqueness of Sora's route is indeed part of what I love about it so much

I respect your opinion, but I felt Ever 17 was more character-driven, while 999 focused on the plot more.

When you close your eyes, I disappear.

oh man... what a great character... she's the most human character in the game

right? : (

I respect your opinion, but I felt Ever 17 was more character-driven, while 999 focused on the plot more.

oh man... what a great character... she's the most (redacted by Funya in case of feels)  character in the game

I found 999's cast to be more interesting, especially in retrospect. I agree that (at least until the main route) Ever17 is far more character driven. 

About Sora, I agree. ;-; (might want to spoiler that) 

I cant imagine Yamato being a masochist. It just doesnt fit him.... If you want a more "romantic" softcore version of him, Majikoi A-2's Monshiro's route (untranslated) is all fluff, marshmallows and happy sex.... well since the route is all about their life after they are 

Hidden Content

Well of course, a lot of people like who he is. But we can't all love the same thing. Like I said, liked Majikoi for it's interesting cast and situations. But I'll skip it's sequels for now, have other things I'm eager to try. Thanks.

Edited by Crimrui

oh man... what a great character... she's the most (redacted by Funya in case of feels)  character in the game

I found 999's cast to be more interesting, especially in retrospect. I agree that (at least until the main route) Ever17 is far more character driven. 

About Sora, I agree. ;-; (might want to spoiler that) 

heeey, that line was meant to you, nobody other than Ever 17 readers would've understood what I meant XD

Finished the next "part" in Higurashi Sui. They completely ignored the whole Question/Answer Arcs deal and made their own structure, can be quite a mess at first, haha. But it does make sense given the crazy amount of new arcs they have, and I really like the way that each "part" the story is split into actually has a prologue and an epilogue set far into the future from the perspective of the detectives trying to solve the mystery. The first part is from Ooishi's point of view, second part is from Akasaka's, and the third... well, let's just say there are some new characters even way further in the future that are surprisingly badass.

It's Akasaka's daughter, Miyuki. She's so cool!

Entering the third part of the story, I've also unlocked the third OP, and it's so awesome!  There aren't really any spoilers in there, but it shows a lot of the new characters that weren't in the original. Speaking of the main characters, I'm really liking them. The two arcs focusing on completely new characters (save for Akasaka and Ooishi) were my favourite new arcs so far. Being completely removed from the original setting and characters for the most part, it allows them to do some crazy things while still managing to tie everything together nicely and even provide new hints to the overall plot for the slow story progression. Kageboushi was especially entertaining, being the answer arc to Someutsushi (the arc based on the manga only Onisarashi). Most of this arc was told from the side of the detectives, and the change of scale was a rrefreshing change from the usual isolated-case feeling. It was so refreshing that I'm almost not looking forward to reading Tsumihoroboshi now, but... hey, got to get into that old original plot again! :D 

Overall Sui is great so far, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone with little patience. To say Sui is long would be the understatement of the century...

Finished the next "part" in Higurashi Sui. They completely ignored the whole Question/Answer Arcs deal and made their own structure, can be quite a mess at first, haha. But it does make sense given the crazy amount of new arcs they have, and I really like the way that each "part" the story is split into actually has a prologue and an epilogue set far into the future from the perspective of the detectives trying to solve the mystery. The first part is from Ooishi's point of view, second part is from Akasaka's, and the third... well, let's just say there are some new characters even way further in the future that are surprisingly badass.

Hidden Content

Entering the third part of the story, I've also unlocked the third OP, and it's so awesome!  There aren't really any spoilers in there, but it shows a lot of the new characters that weren't in the original. Speaking of the main characters, I'm really liking them. The two arcs focusing on completely new characters (save for Akasaka and Ooishi) were my favourite new arcs so far. Being completely removed from the original setting and characters for the most part, it allows them to do some crazy things while still managing to tie everything together nicely and even provide new hints to the overall plot for the slow story progression. Kageboushi was especially entertaining, being the answer arc to Someutsushi (the arc based on the manga only Onisarashi). Most of this arc was told from the side of the detectives, and the change of scale was a rrefreshing change from the usual isolated-case feeling. It was so refreshing that I'm almost not looking forward to reading Tsumihoroboshi now, but... hey, got to get into that old original plot again! :D 

Overall Sui is great so far, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone with little patience. To say Sui is long would be the understatement of the century...

You've been playing that for like two months at this point

I would love to play it on Vita too, but no Fapanese. :(

Playing Ace Attorney for the first time myself, and it's great. I'll definitely buy the Ace Attorney Trilogy sometime. I'm on the fourth case and oh boy

OH BOY

Hidden Content

Playing Ace Attorney for the first time myself, and it's great. I'll definitely buy the Ace Attorney Trilogy sometime. I'm on the fourth case and oh boy

OH BOY

If you're on the first game, then after the epic case 4, you have the epic case 5 (although epic on a completely different scale). Hopefully you'll be one of those that likes case 5.

OH BOY

I love the breakdowns of the criminals and even the witnesses when they get busted for their lies. I also love the gameplay aspect of it with the evidence presentation, information probing, and choices.

Id say the story is great up to the point of that one case where Ace meets his

girlfriend/ex girlfriend Dahlia in court. She's the most fierce out of all the antagonists in the game due to her "kill count" both directly and indirectly and also being close to Phoenix beforehand.

After that, it gets rather crazy and unrealistic with the

supernatural/spirit/ghosts stuff...
Edited by CeruleanGamer

OH BOY

I love the breakdowns of the criminals and even the witnesses when they get busted for their lies. I also love the gameplay aspect of it with the evidence presentation, information probing, and choices.

Id say the story is great up to the point of that one case where Ace meets his

Hidden Content

After that, it gets rather crazy and unrealistic with the

Hidden Content

Well,

Ace Attorney has been unrealistic since the start. Your dead mentor bails you out of losing a case half the time for goodness sake!

I personally can't see that as something to hold against it. I like how the supernatural stuff was implemented due to the fact that it had specific rules that enhanced the mystery. It's not like anything could be pulled off just because lolspirits. It continues to be a logic based game.

Ace Attorney 4 doesn't have anything supernatural (pretty much. Reading a person's "gestual tics" ain't a superpower). Ace Attorney Investigations 1 and 2 have none that I remember. Ace Attorney 5 has some unrealistic elements, I suppose.

Thoughts on AA1 Case 4 (SPOILERS) 

The pistol was handled by Edgeworth AFTER it was fired thrice. The murder actually happened in the daytime during the previous day, that's the explosion noise described in the newspaper article. Edgeworth was lured (?) on the boat, and was fired at twice. This assumes that Edgeworth is of course lying about being with the victim at the time of death. 

Hidden Content

2 months... haha, I am "playing" Sui all the way back from its launch, which was in Mach. :D Though to be fair I mostly just read it during my commuting times, and I tend to take huge breaks between the arcs (sometimes months), so the actual play time is "only" about 150 hours so far. I might even finish it before I die, if I'm lucky...