What is melodrama for you?

Something that doesn't make sense for me is the usage of the word melodrama by lots of people, specially regarding the nakige genre. I don't know if they're wrong or I'm the one who is, but I think people confuse melodrama with drama. 

In my opinion, melodrama is drama over something that doesn't deserve that drama it is put in it. Like crying over something superfluous, that normally people IRL don't cry. To be fair, I don't remember any VN I've read with "melodrama", except for comedic purposes. 

But some people apply melodrama to stuff like death, and this doesn't make sense for me, because death deserves and usually comes with a lot o drama.

What do you guys think?

According to google melodrama is "a sensational dramatic piece with exaggerated characters and exciting events intended to appeal to the emotions."

I think death is an 'exciting event intended to appeal to the emotions' :sachi:

There's nothing exaggerated about drama revolving death. If you consider just the last part, that's just drama. According to your definition, every drama would be melodrama because it's exciting and it's intended to appeal to the emotions.

Melodrama is not a negative thing, it's a sensationalist form of drama and can be used properly to cause an emotional response.

Drama is just a more vague form of melodrama.

Death scenes can be melodramatic and still be good.

The problem is people use it almost always in a negative way, something like forced drama.

Tell me how can a death can be melodramatic. I don't get it.

~~

According to wikipedia, melodrama is a strong drama but with lack of a detailed plot and flat characters,

According to wikipedia, melodrama is a strong drama but with lack of a detailed plot and flat characters,

"A melodrama is a dramatic or literary work in which the plot, which is typically sensational and designed to appeal strongly to the emotions, takes precedence over detailed characterization. Characters are therefore often relatively simply-drawn, and may appear stereotyped. However, because of the long timeframe in which the style has existed, and the variety of formats used, it is difficult to give a precise definition."

Not really a clear definition, you can be sensationalist but still focus on proper characterization.

The whole point of melodrama is to cause an emotional response on the viewer, it's not mandatory for it to be inserted in a simplistic plot with simple characters.

Also simple characters doesn't equal bad characters either.

There's just many situations where one could apply melodrama in, some work, others don't, but the general goal is always to cause an emotional response, so I guess in the end it's mostly about people's tolerance to exaggeration.

I can't say I knew the actual definition. I often thought the word meant the occurrence of an unintentional "forced drama" in a drama-less situation. I think I was mislead into thinking that from other people's point of view.

Thinking that it was a bad aspect to find in any fictional or non-fictional work at first, but I guess it does complicate it a little when everyone has a different view of what it actually means.

The whole point of melodrama is to cause an emotional response on the viewer, it's not mandatory for it to be inserted in a simplistic plot with simple characters.

Also simple characters doesn't equal bad characters either.

There's just many situations where one could apply melodrama in, some work, others don't, but the general goal is always to cause an emotional response, so I guess in the end it's mostly about people's tolerance to exaggeration.

I agree simple characters can be good, but isn't an emotional response the main goal of drama? If it's not, then what is the main point of drama?

The matter of death is indeed more significant than the perception perhaps instilled by common media, but I believe that the definitions here should concern the general response to it as depicted in drama, not a particular philosophical perspective of death which might be more subjective. My personal definition of melodrama is drama of an unrealistic degree. Ophelia's gonna get sad when her already-elderly father dies, but bitches ain't gon' go cray and drown themselves in a river.

My personal definition of melodrama is drama of an unrealistic degree. Ophelia's gonna get sad when her already-elderly father dies, but bitches ain't gon' go cray and drown themselves in a river.

I don't think that's unrealistic at all. People have different reactions to death, this can totally happen in real life.

That's why you don't ask other people what words mean, you ask the dictionary. People should stop having personal definitions. It just makes things pointlessly long. 

Drama-  A serious narrative work or program for television, radio, or the cinema.

Melodrama- A sensational dramatic piece with exaggerated characters and exciting events intended to appeal to the emotions. 

There you have it.

As a self proclaimed robot, I like logical things. Forgoing logic in an attempt for an emotional appeal makes little to no sense.  I really don't like melodrama.  :vinty:

Seriously though, not once have I ever seen melodrama played correctly in a way that didn't make me cringe at someone's stupidity.  Its part of the reason I hate the romance genre, and have relegated myself to only reading things that rot my teeth with their sugary goodness.  

That's why you don't ask other people what words mean, you ask the dictionary. People should stop having personal definitions. It just makes things pointlessly long. 

Drama-  A serious narrative work or program for television, radio, or the cinema.

Melodrama- A sensational dramatic piece with exaggerated characters and exciting events intended to appeal to the emotions. 

There you have it.

Yes, but people have certain tolerance limits and common sense of what "exaggerated characters" are.  Anybody can go look up the definition, but at what point do you personally make the distinction.  Calling something sensationalist, exaggerated, and exciting is hardly objective.

Also, please clean format when copying and pasting, or whatever you just did, it looks broken on dark theme  :michiru:

As a self proclaimed robot, I like logical things. Forgoing logic in an attempt for an emotional appeal makes little to no sense.  I really don't like melodrama.  :vinty:

Seriously though, not once have I ever seen melodrama played correctly in a way that didn't make me cringe at someone's stupidity.  Its part of the reason I hate the romance genre, and have relegated myself to only reading things that rot my teeth with their sugary goodness.  

Yes, but people have certain tolerance limits and common sense of what "exaggerated characters" are.  Anybody can go look up the definition, but at what point do you personally make the distinction.  Calling something sensationalist, exaggerated, and exciting is hardly objective.

Also, please clean format when copying and pasting, or whatever you just did, it looks broken on dark theme  :michiru:

You can't get too objective with fiction genres... They were established from a bunch of works from different people, after all. Not like doing this type of discussion will lead to any good, though. People will just reach the same conclusion the folks who wrote the dictionary did, if they don't end up screaming at one another first. 

There are several types of melodrama. I like a certain type of them- the type that appears in chuuni. "I have daddy issues so I'll destroy the world!" Or "If this society rejects me, I have to recreate it from the ground!" And that type of thing. I find it kinda funny that you have an avatar from Toaru while saying you dislike melodrama- there were tons of it in that LN. 

No way I'm cleaning that. 

Melodrama for me is when:

Writer: You need to cry here so my fans will feel the emotions.

Character: But I am not even feeling that upset here.

Writer: Listen, you. I am the writer and I drive this story, you hear?

Character: Okay...........

To be able to distinct this is kinda difficult, because you have to know in which situations that character would naturally cry. Something can affect a character more than if the same thing happened to you, so you can't measure by your own patterns.

There are several types of melodrama. I like a certain type of them- the type that appears in chuuni. "I have daddy issues so I'll destroy the world!" Or "If this society rejects me, I have to recreate it from the ground!" And that type of thing. I find it kinda funny that you have an avatar from Toaru while saying you dislike melodrama- there were tons of it in that LN. 

This is a good example of melodrama. Let me see... So a lot of villains in chuunis, are like this, huh? The only chuuni VNs I've read were Rewrite and Steins;Gate. But I don't recall any example of melodrama in any of them, the conflicts were really serious, and the drama presented was realistic.

Masada, the master of melodrama.  I think these will teach you of melodrama.

Edit:  It is possible for a story and characters to still feel real even while being melodramatic.  In fact, that is what the best melodrama is like... Dies Irae is an example of that.  As Mercurius says at the beginning, 'The scenario is trite, but I believe my actors to be the ultimate.'

Some extra melodrama.

Masada, the master of melodrama.  I think these will teach you of melodrama.

Edit:  It is possible for a story and characters to still feel real even while being melodramatic.  In fact, that is what the best melodrama is like... Dies Irae is an example of that.  As Mercurius says at the beginning, 'The scenario is trite, but I believe my actors to be the ultimate.'

Some extra melodrama.

*explodes in a ball of hype*

*ahem*

Now, I personally love melodrama. Simply put, I love over the top emotions and situations, and all things that appeal to the emotions really. I am a feels masochist after all, so anything that directly appeals to my emotions with situations that are dosed in an extra coating of emotional intensity is good in my books. I don't come into visual novels, or any entertainment medium for that matter, looking for something I can easily find in real life; that is to say, normal drama.

My love for melodrama is why I am so hyped to read these iconic chuuni stories as I improve my Japanese. Chuuni tends to be HUGE in the melodrama department, and that kind of thing is perfect for me as it makes me want to cry tears of epic... or something along those lines.

Yeah, it is pretty subjective to begin with. People's idea on melodrama can change as time passes as well. When I was a student, I loved certain stories that I now think back and feel a bit ugh.

There is a scene from the K-On movie that I did appreciate:

At the end of the movie, the girls gave the teacher a thank you card (or maybe it was a gift). I can imagine in some scenarios, the teacher would burst into tears and hug the girls, who would then all sob as well. Instead, the teacher just looks at the card with a curious look. She seemed hardly moved or appreciative. If she has been teaching for a while, this stuff happens every year, so of course she would be numb to it. I was glad they downplayed the moment rather than make it a big fuss.

LinovaA, it is interesting to hear you like melodrama :)! I have never thought of it from that perspective before. When people discuss melodrama it is usually in a bad light, so you gave me something new to think about there :).

At the end of the movie, the girls gave the teacher a thank you card (or maybe it was a gift). I can imagine in some scenarios, the teacher would burst into tears and hug the girls, who would then all sob as well. Instead, the teacher just looks at the card with a curious look. She seemed hardly moved or appreciative. If she has been teaching for a while, this stuff happens every year, so of course she would be numb to it. I was glad they downplayed the moment rather than make it a big fuss.

Um... Even if they all cried, I wouldn't call it melodrama, because it's completely understandable and it happens in real life normally.

*explodes in a ball of hype*

*ahem*

Now, I personally love melodrama. Simply put, I love over the top emotions and situations, and all things that appeal to the emotions really. I am a feels masochist after all, so anything that directly appeals to my emotions with situations that are dosed in an extra coating of emotional intensity is good in my books. I don't come into visual novels, or any entertainment medium for that matter, looking for something I can easily find in real life; that is to say, normal drama.

My love for melodrama is why I am so hyped to read these iconic chuuni stories as I improve my Japanese. Chuuni tends to be HUGE in the melodrama department, and that kind of thing is perfect for me as it makes me want to cry tears of epic... or something along those lines.

The way you all guys describe melodrama, I think I love it too. @LinovaA, I agree with your statement. I always look for emotional attachment in fictional works, and I base my ratings and my enjoyment in how intense were the feels that work managed to put into me (not only that, but if those feels were really intense, then I will probably ignore the more "rational" aspects and give it a 10/10.

If a work could make me feel something very intense, despite not being real, it's done a great job. There are people who complain about those who give a very good rating to anything with feels. But I really think no one should ignore the personal and emotional part when reviewing something. Perhaps you want to be objective about that and say it's bad, despite enjoying it. But why did you enjoy it? Why did that specific work give you those intense emotions? If you can find the answer to those questions, you may also realize that what seemed something "irrational" and "emotional" only is actually something planned and thought, and that the writer could fulfill its objective in your case. This is why I think "feels" are really really an important of a work. Also, stuff with "real" feels are rare jewels at least for me.