Least liked protagonist?

Rabbit

Let's see...Shirou from F/SN, Akihito from Coμ and, well, I guess You from Hoshimemo.  Shirou and Akihito are pretty self-explanatory, but I disliked You so much because of how bland he was.  Aside from the gags, he had little real personality, and felt like the copy/paste protag that's so common in romance-focused VNs.  He had his moments, though, so he's not as high on my list as Shirou and Akihito.  I also get kinda irritated whenever the protag is named You.

I like Yuuji as a protagonist to the point where I can't believe people disliking him is anything but some weird meme I'm not privy to. Most interesting MC that I know of, at least, and his flaws are warranted considering how he came to be. 

While I would never agree I can at least understand the reasoning behind disliking Rance, despite him being best gril for sure. 

But anyhue, I think Subaru is literally the worst sack of crap ever put in an MC's shoes. Honestly there is nothing redeeming about him at all, though I guess he does get his just desserts (Game ALMOST makes me feel sorry for him). 

Yuuji is a pretty unpleasant person with some disagreeable viewpoints but at least he's really entertaining. I wouldn't want to hang out with him IRL but he's fun to read about.

The protagonist from Wanko to Kurasou is like a far less entertaining and much more pompous version of Yuuji (as far as personality goes), he's a pretty hateable guy. 

My least favorite is almost definitely Takeru from Muv Luv. Granted, I didn't like Muv Luv much to begin with, but having to deal with him for three whole games was borderline unbearable. Even in Alternative he pissed me off.

I wasn't a fan of Rance either, but Yuuji was alright.

Sigh.

No, you're right. Yuuji is cool. Yuuji is snarky, sarcastic, lucid. Suspisciously, unbelievably so. He's so smart and capable, yet everyone around him is so dumb. What a stud, waking up every single day at 4:45AM and running 16km before school even starts. How can anyone resist Yuuji? He's so perfect, in that imperfect way modern society loves. Strong, composed, always knows the answer. He's there to show the others can stupid they can be or that they are not strong, both physically and mentally, as they think. He's so great - It's almost the role of everyone else in the story is to make him look better.

To be honest 99% of the vns out there are like that not just this one.

Not really. Most bishoujo titles have many heroines that don't fall in love with the protagonist until you go on their route and interact with them more. But even among harem titles where they are super well loved, they've usually done something to at least somewhat earn it. You can point to Ikikoi where that isn't the case, but that game is pure garbage, so...

chara01.png

Takeda Akane from Hanachirasu. He's an effective villain, as you want the antagonist to kill him horribly within the first 30 minutes of the story. Not an enjoyable read, though.

Huh, first time I ever hear about this- not like I talked too much about Hanachirasu, though.

I absolutely loved Akane and was rooting for him all along, but what I'm surprised about is that it wasn't an enjoyable read. I rated it an 8 to stay more or less consistent to my standards, but on the enjoyment scale, Hanachirasu was an incredibly nice read that I'd suggest to most people. Have replayed the last scene several times, even with the suspense lost. 

On the Yuuji debate, I think part of why he is loved so much is because people think his lack of compassion balances out him being a secret agent thing, he has great upsides and great downsides I do not see how any of this has to do with GamerGate, but I can say that the fact that he is pathetic about human interaction does flesh him out.

He is fun to read about, but he casually hurls insults towards people on a daily basis and gets no punishment whatsoever. Not exactly the sort of person I would hang out with.

Have not read Fate/stay but Shirou's face pisses me off. 

also having only seen the anime, the dude from Chaos;Head seems like the biggest piece of shit 

well wait until you play and you will hate him even more then xD specially on the first route.

Not really. Most bishoujo titles have many heroines that don't fall in love with the protagonist until you go on their route and interact with them more. But even among harem titles where they are super well loved, they've usually done something to at least somewhat earn it. You can point to Ikikoi where that isn't the case, but that game is pure garbage, so...

I can't agree with this I just can't, even when they don't fall in love with the MC instantly they still do after a while without any explanation just because you are the MC... maybe 99% was a bit too much but it is like that.