The End of Dysfunctional Systems

Nosebleed

I guess I can sympathize with him somewhat but I think some people are taking that too far. The developers aren't the victims here, the backers who got nothing for their money are ("partial refunds"). I also don't buy the story surrounding episode 0. Something happened that they aren't talking about.

I guess I can sympathize with him somewhat but I think some people are taking that too far. The developers aren't the victims here, the backers who got nothing for their money are ("partial refunds"). I also don't buy the story surrounding episode 0. Something happened that they aren't talking about.

While I agree that the backers who got nothing are victims, if you're pledging money on Kickstarter that you can't afford to have vanish into thin air and get nothing from it, you're doing it wrong. Kickstarter is closer to a charity than it is to an investment.

I also don't buy the story surrounding episode 0. Something happened that they aren't talking about.

You mean "we finished the game to suddenly find out it's not as good as we thought. How could this be, this realisation seriously came out of nowhere. To preserve our reputation we'll instead keep it on our shelves forever and ever?"

Yeah. Not fishy at all :P

Completely disagree. The developers put their own time, labor and money into the project. Backers are just generous consumers, but with out the developers the backer's money is completely useless.

My favorite quote regarding this:

"If one were left to his whims in the wilderness with only his labor to live by, he would be able to forge tools to create capital with, and thus an endless supply of wealth. If this man were a capitalist on the other hand, and tried to survive without working, he would be dead in a matter of days."

Yes, the backers are victims to an extent, but they were no where near as invested as the developers were. 

You mean "we finished the game to suddenly find out it's not as good as we thought. How could this be, this realisation seriously came out of nowhere. To preserve our reputation we'll instead keep it on our shelves forever and ever?"

Yeah. Not fishy at all :P

I agree. To realize your story was alright and then trash the entire thing is illogical. Somewhere in the production, something went wrong and they aren't telling us about it.

They clearly state that they'll write later about those mistakes they say they made. So we can't really say "they're not telling us what happened" as long as we haven't seen this post.

The fact that they deem their work "average" is probably the result of many internal issues, and that's only the outcome result.

Completely disagree. The developers put their own time, labor and money into the project. Backers are just generous consumers, but with out the developers the backer's money is completely useless.

My favorite quote regarding this:

"If one were left to his whims in the wilderness with only his labor to live by, he would be able to forge tools to create capital with, and thus an endless supply of wealth. If this man were a capitalist on the other hand, and tried to survive without working, he would be dead in a matter of days."

Yes, the backers are victims to an extent, but they were no where near as invested as the developers were. 

This is not a philosophy I can subscribe to. I guess I shouldn't derail things more than this, but suffice to say, if the failure was their doing then the developers won't get much sympathy from me.

Yeah. Not fishy at all  :P

On November 29th, they claimed that Episode 0 would be ready by Dec 16th. No problems at all! On december 16th, the release day, oops, there's an issue and will be a slight delay! Just wait, it will be great! January 2nd: It sucks and will be canceled, sorry. It reeks.

You know what's even more disappointing than an average game? Literally no game at all and seeing your money go down the drain. If Episode 0 actually is in a releasable state like they claim it is, I hope they do eventually release it.

^

Couldn't say it better myself. Something went wrong. It's also possible that they ended up collapsing under the undertaking, maybe too much stress. Not properly allocating resources might not have helped either which is something that almost definitely happened. It sucks though and further evidence visual novels shouldn't use kickstarter for funding..

^

Couldn't say it better myself. Something went wrong. It's also possible that they ended up collapsing under the undertaking, maybe too much stress. Not properly allocating resources might not have helped either which is something that almost definitely happened. It sucks though and further evidence visual novels shouldn't use kickstarter for funding..

Several VNs have worked out using KS though. It's more the inherent risks involved shining through...

Looks like they released a more in depths analysis of what went wrong on their kickstarter.

https://dischan.co/blog/2015/01/dysfunctional-systems-what-went-wrong/ 

As a fellow developer, I can only say that it sucks for them...

At the same time, I can't help but feel that those kind of issues are inherent to projects involving money and kickstarters.

Can't seem to find the page you are looking for.