Are you that type of VN player?

hamoun76

I am definitely not that type of VN player as I never play VNs for the girls, only for the protagonist or story with the exception of KS. The reason being that I never find the heroines as interesting as the protagonist(with the exception of the main heroine is G-Senjou), take for example both Grisaia and Sharin. It seems that the only way they try to make the heroines interesting is by using a traumatic past or something similar. That never appeals to me though, as I simply don't give a shit about the heroines if they don't have an interesting character, but I found the MCs of both of these VNs very interesting. Another reason being I can't get attached to drawings(no offense, Okami.) That's why I look for interesting MCs or plot in VNs.

I have every right to express my opinion and to tell about my point of view and to try to convince people that my way of life is better just as you. And just as you see me as pitiable I see you as pitiable too for living an empty, worthless 3D world and even true you know about a 2D world you are in delusion that 3D is better and even brainwashed to think of your poor 3D life as better then ours as something objective just because it's a mainstream opinion. I am at least able to think for myself and not just copy/paste most popular opinions.

Nobody doubted that part and If you had read and UNDERSTOOD what i wrote you would know that. Sure you can think by yourself and probably, not probably -> for sure, you have a really unique opinion but that doesn't mean that one is the solution for everything. Well and If I'm mainstream because of my opinion, I'm fine with it. And if you would know me you would never say that.

But to your perfect 2D world. You know that all of that is made by brains like mine, everything is made by 3D people (i will call them humans in my upcoming posts). They don't think for them self, you know? Humans do that, who live in the real world thing. 

Anyway, you have your Opinion (yes it's only that not more) and will not change it. Though that wasn't my intention. Just have your funny live and don't call people things they don't represent just because of your unique opinion.

Seriously few times I've become so attached to the heroine I feel I should only read their route. So I read all of the routes.

Albeit now days I tend to let myself have much more liberty in what I read. If I don't feel like reading that route or heroine I don't. I might come back and read it later. But otherwise I'll just read some other vn. I got way to many vn's to read anyway, more vn's than I'll finish in jp anyway. Need to read faster lol.

Ren, thanks so much for sharing that story. It was indeed very touching!

Eclipsed mentioned it might be fine to continue the discussion, so I just wanted to share my thoughts. There are no references or attacks against anyone here. Hopefully that is acceptable :).

I am not in a relationship at the moment because I have devoted the majority of my free time to my game development dreams. If I forced myself into a relationship, it would end poorly. I am functioning okay, though. In fact, I am delighted with life right now. If that is the way my entire life is, just me and my goals, I would be very happy with that. I have friends I cherish, so I thought that would suffice. Some tell me, with that approach, you will be lonely when you are old with no kids to look after you. They say that because they worry for me, and it is at the back of my mind right now.

I get jumpy (sometimes very, very jumpy XD) over cute anime girls like any other fan. But I have no thoughts about being in a relationship with them. It is not about 2D VS 3D for me at the moment. Right now, I have no thoughts about relationships at all. Often, I have no interest in going outside to conform to society's rules. I want to stay home and pursue my dreams in front of a monitor.

That said, I have always wanted to understand those who truly wish to pursue romantic relationships with 2D characters. On another note, I have been curious about those who cosplay as characters of the opposite gender as well. Recently, I picked up this book called The Moe Manifesto. It includes interviews with folks belonging to both of the aforementioned groups. The exchanges gave me a new understanding about their situations. I have always condoned doing what means most to you. If your heart says that is your preference, it is all good in my books.

Thanks for reading my ramble :).

That said, I have always wanted to understand those who truly wish to pursue romantic relationships with 2D characters. On another note, I have been curious about those who cosplay as characters of the opposite gender as well. Recently, I picked up this book called The Moe Manifesto. It includes interviews with folks belonging to both of the aforementioned groups. The exchanges gave me a new understanding about their situations. I have always condoned doing what means most to you. If your heart says that is your preference, it is all good in my books.

This is a very interesting point you raise because I myself enjoy some feminine styles of dress. For example, I am a huge fan of ties/bow ties, and I absolutely love the anime themed school uniform ones they use for the girls.

Well...this thread got a little hostile.  Lets stop arguing about the benefits of the 2D world vs the benefits of the 3D world, that wasn't what the OP was asking, and it's obviously a touchy subject for some people.  You can have opinions, but presenting them in a hostile or argumentative way isn't exactly a good idea.

I will admit, though, that I have been attracted to a few heroines, personality and appearance-wise.  Never actually had feelings for them or anything, it was merely preferring their character and part of the story over the others.  I don't find myself capable of falling in love with a 2D person, mostly because, well, they're not real, and I crave real contact with real people far too much for that to satisfy my emotional and social needs.

Well, I for one believe there true love exists in the 3D world:

http://www.today.com/video/today/54537966

I find that story very touching, but maybe it's just me.

Edit: I accidentally linked the wrong link the 1st time; the new link is the correct link.

I... want a relationship like that..... Wow...

On the 2D-3D thing... No? 2D girls are ideals, 2D guys are ideals, I realize that and create separate planes in my mind for them. I finish the game, declare characters my waifu, then move on and lose 95% of the intense feeling I had for them. Rinse and repeat. Same with ships, honestly. If I'm not constantly reminded of something, I kinda forget...

Nobody doubted that part and If you had read and UNDERSTOOD what i wrote you would know that. Sure you can think by yourself and probably, not probably -> for sure, you have a really unique opinion but that doesn't mean that one is the solution for everything. Well and If I'm mainstream because of my opinion, I'm fine with it. And if you would know me you would never say that.

But to your perfect 2D world. You know that all of that is made by brains like mine, everything is made by 3D people (i will call them humans in my upcoming posts). They don't think for them self, you know? Humans do that, who live in the real world thing. 

Anyway, you have your Opinion (yes it's only that not more) and will not change it. Though that wasn't my intention. Just have your funny live and don't call people things they don't represent just because of your unique opinion.

I would have a lot of things to say on a second part of your post but I will restrain myself from it because it is moving exactly like that 2D VS 3D topic that we once had and I don't won't to repeat that discussion so I am just gonna say that most probably not.

As for last part well I find it funny because you ware doing the exact same thing that you tell me not to, just replace unique opinion part with mainstream opinion.

I... want a relationship like that..... Wow...

On the 2D-3D thing... No? 2D girls are ideals, 2D guys are ideals, I realize that and create separate planes in my mind for them. I finish the game, declare characters my waifu, then move on and lose 95% of the intense feeling I had for them. Rinse and repeat. Same with ships, honestly. If I'm not constantly reminded of something, I kinda forget...

For me it's opposite It's  feelings for 2D girls that last.

Well, I for one believe there true love exists in the 3D world:

http://www.today.com/video/today/54537966

I find that story very touching, but maybe it's just me.

Edit: I accidentally linked the wrong link the 1st time; the new link is the correct link.

I don't know maybe it's my experience from before I become otaku maybe it's my knowledge of psychology but I newer find 3D love to be real, there's always something other behind it. But sure you are free to believe that it does exist.

I would have a lot of things to say on a second part of your post but I will restrain myself from it because it is moving exactly like that 2D VS 3D topic that we once had and I don't won't to repeat that discussion so I am just gonna say that most probably not.

As for last part well I find it funny because you ware doing the exact same thing that you tell me not to, just replace unique opinion part with mainstream opinion.

I don't know maybe it's my experience from before I become otaku maybe it's my knowledge of psychology but I newer find 3D love to be real, there's always something other behind it. But sure you are free to believe that it does exist.

I didn't mean that part, like I said I'm fine with mainstream. I was referring to some other topics but maybe I should have said it more clearly.

Anyway I think we agree on the fact that we doesn't agree on a lot of stuff. We should stop that here. I try to ignore upcoming post of you, which I don't like or don't agree and you should do the same with opinions you simply not like.

Well, I'm not "romantically involved" with the heroines like some people suggested . It's only that I fell bad for a character who likes the protag (especially even before her route started) but the guy goes with someone else and that character gets heart broken. 

So, after reading the comments here I decided to play Ageha's route in If My heart had wings..... boy I am not going to play more than 1 route ever again I mean what was that shit? I've reached the 2nd h-scene and it's horrible by now they basically 

turned ageha and her cute little sister into two bitches

and dat translation :  oppai = eyes     XD

And let's respect other people's opinions we're all friends here :)

Well, I'm not "romantically involved" with the heroines like some people suggested . It's only that I fell bad for a character who likes the protag (especially even before her route started) but the guy goes with someone else and that character gets heart broken. 

So, after reading the comments here I decided to play Ageha's route in If My heart had wings..... boy I am not going to play more than 1 route ever again I mean what was that shit? I've reached the 2nd h-scene and it's horrible by now they basically 

turned ageha and her cute little sister into two bitches

and dat translation :  oppai = eyes     XD

And let's respect other people's opinions we're all friends here :)

Ah, I know what you mean. That's my problem with heroines that start with max affection for the protag...! How can I break her heart! But you've gotta do it anyway; there's a possibility that the other girls like the protag too! You can't do that to them just because you chose someone else first, right?!

Was meant to answer part 2 of OP's question, not any argument you're having. That's interesting, though. how do you keep interested in 2D girls when, unlike the 3D, there's nothing about them beyond their 1 maybe 2 stories? ...I'll also ask you to exercise more tact in discussion. As a 3D woman, I was not happy hearing that my personality disgusted someone I'm gonna be interacting with.

I think it's an extremely self-centered opinion that just because love didn't work out for you, it can't work out for anyone. 

Belated answer but I am "that kind" of player.

I see the VNs in terms of the heroines.

Publishers do sometimes attempt to construct a game where the story spans every heroine's route (you

can often tell those games by the enforced playing order).

And I admit I have some motivation to see the whole story , but it will not get me to play a heroine's route just for that reason.

And yes, I play these games mainly for the romance.

And yes, I am immersed in the 2D world.  I did not give up on the 3D world, though.  It has apparently given up on me.

I now return you to your argument in progress.

Edited by zoom909

Mmm... in my case, I'm just too paranoid to live with a real person as a spouse.  I have to have my doors closed and locked, with only me inside, when I sleep.  I used to sleep with a gun under my pillow before I moved back in to save money because I was paranoid that my neighbors were plotting against me.  I had a girlfriend in high school... but I split with her when I realized that even though I loved her, I would quickly grow to hate her for being close to me if I were to live with her. 

While I call myself a misanthrope, that really isn't the word for it... for me, the presence of other human beings irl is like sandpaper scraping across my nerves.  It doesn't matter if I hold affection for them or if I enjoy their company, it is always the same.  Trust doesn't even enter into the equation.  I can trust someone, love them, and hate them outright at the same time... a revelation that disturbed me greatly when I was younger. 

On the other hand, I never had that problem with my imagination, so 2D girls were easy to love - and only love - early on.  I'm just too much of a pragmatist to hold to that view forever.  On the other hand, holding a permanent affection for a character based on an intellectual attraction is still something I can do... it is just rare for a character to make that kind of impression on me.

Ah, I know what you mean. That's my problem with heroines that start with max affection for the protag...! How can I break her heart! But you've gotta do it anyway; there's a possibility that the other girls like the protag too! You can't do that to them just because you chose someone else first, right?!

Was meant to answer part 2 of OP's question, not any argument you're having. That's interesting, though. how do you keep interested in 2D girls when, unlike the 3D, there's nothing about them beyond their 1 maybe 2 stories? ...I'll also ask you to exercise more tact in discussion. As a 3D woman, I was not happy hearing that my personality disgusted someone I'm gonna be interacting with.

Well because their characters are strong their feelings pure so even if time I can interact with them is limited feelings toward them last forever.  But when it comes to 3D, well just like all others feelings it's something that doesn't last because they are not true pure feelings to begin with but they are delusions caused by something other and are limited.

Sorry if I insulted you, I'll try beaning i little more precise, it is not really 3D women personalities that disgusts me but more of a 3D humans personalities,  it has noting to do with gender or individuals.

I think it's an extremely self-centered opinion that just because love didn't work out for you, it can't work out for anyone. 

I am not saying that it can't work out I am saying that it's not true love. It's just a delusion of love created by some other reasons. 3D people simply aren't capable of having a true feelings there is always something other behind them.

So war was ultimately waged in this thread too huh?

I'm that type that does all routes. I just can't leave a visual novel unfinished. Maybe due to my perfectionist autism. Or maybe because I just like collecting CGs. But I do try and finish everything before I move to another one. There are some cases though, Daibanchou for example, where I am not able to finish everything before moving on. The character clears are just too absurd, you know?

Also, I like doing all heroine routes basically since I want to see the story that each heroine has to say. Each story told by another person is beautiful, no? I refer to them as a person here since even though they are fictional characters living in a fictional world, their stories are nonetheless the truth for them, or their reality. To trample upon their reality is something I could never do. So no matter how bad a route was, I can't really find a reason to sincerely hate it. Though I do show my dissatisfaction with one (Wanko to Kurasou for example). A little H-scene won't hurt too, since I also have that desire inside of me.

About how I treat 2D girls... I treat them as characters. They will never be physically real in our world, but they can be real in our hearts. That's why I come to love characters. Even though I won't be able to show these characters how much I love them, I would still like to cherish their memories and stories in my heart. Their stories have reached me, and I will try and remember their experiences that they've shared with me. I might have not been their physically, but I tried to be there mentally. Something like that. They're not here beside us, but they're here inside of us. <3

Of course, this includes fapping to them. Even though they're not physically real, they still affect us mentally. Mentally affecting us can still affect our body, and so that action is done. At least that's how I think it works.

So yeah. I'm a VN player who finishes all the routes, be they in adult games or not, faps to almost all the heroines at least once, and enjoys their stories. I'm that guy who gets attached to a character, and becomes happy for a character when her romance comes true. I'm that guy who sympathizes with these characters for their losses and pains, and that guy you can see crying for no reason after reading a heartwrenching scene. Yeah. That guy who continues to live in this world, this 3D world, carrying the experiences he had with these 2D characters. I'll never have myself isolated in the 2D world though. I'm not that kind of guy. :/

• 2 weeks later...

If dating is not involved, I will dutifully try to clear the game 100%. However, when it comes to games with big focus in dating, I often find myself unable to date other characters but the one I romanced for the first time. I don't usually do it on purpose, but I just don't feel like continuing the game for a while, and very often I find myself thinking I will "play that game tomorrow" and never do. The first couple I form in the game very often becomes my main one and I feel somehow wrong trying to get the main character date anyone else after that. 

I rarely take dating personally though and mostly just think of who would be the best match for the protagonist. 

No.

Sometimes I wont get motivated by another route because a different route/previous route was better/just appealed more to me.

I like to see all the routes possible especially when its dating wise.

I dunno, call me a heart breaker but I like it. 

Might be different since im a girl too idk 

(however I do feel bad when it comes to Harvest Moon games maybe since I actually WORK towards getting that girl/boy)

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely do not fit the category of a one route and done. I have sometimes felt something that might be a tinge of guilt knowing that my actions on one route effectively ruin the lives of other characters in the game but at the same time curiosity. I play the games for the story content and the characters and there have been quite a few visual novels where if I hadn't read every route I wouldn't have properly understood the story. I also feel as if each route grows a character not just in their own route but in the other routes as well (more so if the vn is written well). There are sides of people that you may never know without being a lover, an enemy, a friend, or a simple associate. People have many different masks they wear and to see the characters in multiple situations does nothing but grow the characters. A lot of my belief on this topic probably has to deal with Ever 17 being the first visual novel I ever played and as such I always read everything just in case a visual novel has something similar to that in it. 

I often play visual novels for story foremost than anything. Most visual novels on my vndb have things that make it not just about romance, so I often play all the routes to see the storie's completion. I also don't think of myself as the MC, ever. I am simply watching the MC as a character.