When do you consider that you finished a VN?

Okami

When do you consider that you finished a VN?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. When do you consider that you finished a VN?

• Only when I read complite 100% and see every single scene, chouse every choice.
    • When I read all the endings including dead and bad ones.
    • When I read all the good/normal endings (when I read all routes).
    • When I read all routes that I am intereset in.
    • As soon as I get to the first ending.
    • Other.

This poll is closed to new votes

I used to read all routes in a VN, but these days I ignore the ones I don't have an interest in. I just consider it complete when I'm done playing for good. If I plan to get back to it eventually, no matter how long that may be, then I just consider it "on-hold". I have a couple that have been like that for a long time now.

The fact I've "dropped" a few VNs confuses things a bit, but I guess I just make the personal distinction by how much I've read and why I stopped.

When I 100% the VN. That is, as long as there's some way of measuring it, like going by the CG gallery, etc. I always do my best to go for bad endings first, so it's not really difficult or annoying, it just feels like the natural progression.

That said, if there is a VN I really don't enjoy, I skip something in it. I don't really feel like I've finished it then, though.

Coming from a gaming background that focuses on achievements and 100% meaning 100%, I consider a VN complete with every CG unlocked with all lines read. I may not reach that 100% and only read all the routes, but I can be "done" with something without having completely "finished" it.

So, done with a VN =/= finished.

How much of the VN I complete would depend on how much I like the VN, but for the most part, I consider it complete when I read all content associated with the main story. So far, out of all the VNs that aren't kinetic, the only two VNs I've seen to full completion are Little Busters (including the bonus battles) and FSN.

I also think having all the CGs is a vital factor in determining whether you completed a VN or not.

With that said, I never truly completed G-Senjou no Maou.

Was missing one Haru scene.

Never found it.

Also, games with clear game reports pressure the player into letting them know how much they haven't finished.

I'm looking at you, Sengoku Rance.

Pic unrelated.

wj2UP6M.jpg

I voted for the 1st option but...

I consider that I finished a vn when I saw all the CGs, heard all the music, saw all endings (including hidden ones that may require some effort to encounter them), found and read all the tips (if there are any) etc. Many VNs have their own "completeness meter". In this case it have to be 100%.

However it does not mean that I've read all the text and made all the choices possible. There can be choices that, aside from altering a few text lines, do nothing. Or even choices that are totally pointless. So keeping track of them is just too hard.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a craven, I don't go for bad endings. But I'm still a completionist, so you can see the internal conflict here.

I do everything but bad endings.

Where have I purposely gotten a bad ending?

Fate/Stay night, but even when I did, it was so I could get bonus content. (And I didn't actually read any of those bad endings, so Take That!, game)