What natural disaster scares you the most?

Clephas

What disaster scares you the most?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What natural disaster scares you the most?

• Earthquake
    • Tornado
    • Flood
    • Tsunami
    • Hurricane
    • landslide
    • asteroid fall
    • wildfire
    • Volcanic eruption
    • Plague

This poll is closed to new votes

What natural disaster scares you the most?  I've always thought earthquakes or volcanic eruptions would be the scariest.  Having experienced a tornado and knowing how easy it is to survive one (if you have a cellar or storm shelter) I don't find them nearly as frightening, though. 

A wild fire would scare me the most. Seeing as how I live in Western Australia where it's dry as a desert, a fire could easily break out somewhere in the bush. Even if I am prepared for a wildfire, I can't help but be frightened by the sheer potential of how a small fire can grow very large and consuming anything in its path with it's sheer heat.

Out of those options it would have to be a plague. Out of all of them it is the most ambiguous as it can biologically mutate and end up much worse than it is. It is also the hardest to predict as the transmission is more random than the others as well and the symptoms are all nasty.

I'd have to say plague as well.  I've slept through several earthquakes, and been awake and alert through several more intense ones, and really, unless they're really, really, really bad, they aren't too much to worry about.  I think once they get past 6.0 they start to get scary.  With plagues, even if you know what to do to avoid catching it, the likelihood that you'll be able to avoid it even before it's well-known are slim to none.  It's mostly about luck, or genes, which I think is the scariest.

Besides plagues, I think hurricanes and tornadoes are the scariest natural disasters.  At least earthquakes are relatively short.  So glad I live in the west; I have some relatives that moved out east, and the first week they got there there was a tornado.  Hell of a welcoming committee.  It sounded horrible.

I am most scared of a asteroid fall. The others are much more likely I suppose and therefore more logical to be scared of.

I find it to be reverse though. Because a asteroid fall is so unknown I find it scary.

Just a question of time imo when a big plague will come. Most likely created by humans.

As for my location I suppose wildfire and landslide is most likely disaster.. Actually more likely I'll die of a snow Avalanche when skiing in the mountains...

Seriously fear is a messed up thing. I remember watching a documentary which said that people who are living in areas "high" likelihood of disaster, are less likely to worry about it. Compared to people far away from that area.

Tornado's are fairly/semi-regular around here, so that's the only one on that list that really takes up any of my apprehension.

That said, I suppose in theory an epidemic would be the most freighting for me. The fact alone you can't see what's killing everybody is scary in its own right, let alone a prolonged death comparative to something violent like a tornado. 

I don't want to drown and I am already scared of water >2 m deep or where I can't see the bodom (so pool doen't count). Water is evil, you can't really escape from it.. I picked tsunami because its more likely to die compared to a flood. Tornado would be my second, but like you said you can escape those.

Tsunami, Volcanic eruption and asteroid fall are thew ones with the least chances of survival, for others you have decent chances of survival, and out of the 3 asteroid fall is the one with least chances of survival that are pretty much 0%.

That said I am not really afraid of any of them, both because they all have minimum chances of happening where I live and because I am not afraid of dieing.

Tsunamis for sure. Standing on beach and watching the water level suddenly drop would scare the shit out of me. Especially if there were no tall buildings around.

Thankfully I live in an area without many natural disasters (Maryland). Hurricanes mostly but they've usually lost alot of their strength before getting here so its just a shit ton of rain. Tornadoes are rare, and earthquakes are even rarer. Wildfires never happen. Usually just have to deal with crazy high temps+high humidity in the summer and blizzards in the winter....But i'd take those over tornado alley or living on a fault line any day of the week.

Anything that would make you suffer in pain before death. So things like being buried alive, burning to death, etc. o_o I rather be killed instantly.

I'll pick plague though. I once read a book called Hot Zone when I was younger, and it scared me. Resident Evil also scared me xD lol

Plague. What's going on with ebola in Africa right now is no joke, it can spread quickly and kill a certain population especially in a very poor region like that. Next would be landslide. Being buried alive isn't cool you know.

I agree with this entirely.  Logically I believe a plague is the most disastrous threat in the world today and the one that could do the most damage to society.  Think about how connected everything is today, it could move across the globe in a day.  

However, I'm probably most afraid of meteor or asteroid fall due to the unpredictability and lack of control (even though I live next to a giant one XD).