Favorite Video Games of all Time (Excluding VNs)

solidbatman

Seems like we do~, I used Touma with the tank & archer first.. but then I switched over to Cyrille and used the two little mages.

Which was your favorite Ar Tonelico? My favorite was the first one, and I liked Misha. It got me interested because it had something similar to a dating system to get closer to the girls, and also some funny/weird innuendos, lol. I like that kind of moe stuff though ;o  The one thing that bothered me a bit about the first game was that it almost had no interactions between the two girls like they didn't try to get to know eachother and become closer, so Ar Tonelico2 was better in that aspect. I never finished Ar Tonelico3 because, frankly did not like the battle system.. it was a bit boring to press a single button the whole time and wait for song charge.

Bet you liked this news :) :

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/25/ar-nosurge-will-localized-english-right-now-just-europe/

Hmm.... all time?  Okay, let's go!

5.  Distant Worlds - I had to fight in my mind between this and Homeworld, but in the end, I prefer 4X to RTS, and Distant Worlds is my favorite of the former.

4.  Saints Row IV - I figured I had to have a token action game on the list, and this is it.  It's pure joy wrapped in a package that is equal parts nostalgia and parody.  And the banter is awesome too.

3.  Final Fantasy 6 - My first Final Fantasy after Mystic Quest(which totally doesn't count).  By pure coincidence it's the best one.

2.  Planescape: Torment - Best writing in an RPG ever.  Fact.

1.  Baldur's Gate 2 - This game(and its prequel) has stayed installed on my hard drive ever since the game was released.  When I upgrade to a new PC, reinstall Windows or whatever, this goes on right after drivers.  I usually play it once a year.  I just love this game.

New List, no order

-Ao no Kiseki (PSP, Vita)

_Great game, even though it's in JP. Also, it has one of the... if not, the best boss song in my list, search for Azure Arbitrator... on Vita recently came out an enhanced version of this game called Ao no Kiseki Evolution, with new OST and things.

-Drakengard 3 (PS3)

_If you cry about framerate drop and you drop it at the first branch... something's wrong with your brain... just kidding, but still, you're losing on something good. Oh, and I'd recommend you guys to play Drakengard 1 and NieR... as I'll say down below

-NieR (PS3, X360)

_Play it. (see?, I said it)

-Trails in the Sky (PSP, PC Soon)

_Play it (again).

-Tales of Hearts (DS)

_No, not the Vita version, but the DS version, although JP exclusive, still good.

Well for me i guess its this. I dont play games anymore though:

1) Dragon Age:Origins- loved this game so much,Gameplay is challenging,graphics is amazing,story is really good too. Replayed it 4-5 times i think :D :D

2) Crysis- This was the first ever new gen game i played after i finally got a new PC in 2008. As always the first time is always an epic experience,will never forget this ;d

3) Warcraft 3: I used to play RTS games a lot back in the day. Warcraft was just the best there is of this genre.(for me atleast) What really engaged me though was the storyline,it made me even look up and read the previous games story ;d

4) Prince of Persia: Not the shitty new one but the original trilogy after the game went from 2D platform to 3D. Warrior Within was my favorite of the 3,this game holds the record of most replays for me(10+ times). It was the first time playing a game of this type where i was given so much freedom of control over my character :D

5)Resident Evil series: I cant think of anything else. The four above are the ones that matter to me most really ;d

1) Super Mario World (my first game ever.... gives me a nostalgic feeling just thinking about it).

2) Mass Effect Trilogy (I love any type of space-themed games, and Mass Effect is the best of them IMO).

3) Red Dead Redemption (I also love Old West themed ones, and those are rare, and usually don't hold a candle do RDR).

4) Little Big Planet (Ahh... I had such good times with this, I remember the only map I made was a Train TNT Survival, and it worked very well, I was very proud at the time).

5) Bully (This is such a controversial game xD, but you can't deny it was fun flushing other people's heads in the toilets, infiltrating the girl's dorm to steal panties... oh god I'm laughing just thinking about it xD).

• 6 months later...

Now, this may seem a little broad, as many of us have have played many'a game. However, I'd like to see what people's favorite non VN games are. I know it is a pretty tough question for some, but I am sure I will get at least a few answers out of this one. So let's hear it. Your favorite games and why they are your favorite will do. Don't need to write too much, just enough as to give an idea of why they stand so high on your list of games.

I'll start. My favorite being:

Tales of the Abyss

Reason: I personally feel like it is among the best when it comes to it's main cast of characters. The progress Luke makes as a character is just absolutely amazing, and there were times where I deeply resonated with him. Tear is a pretty decent female lead, and I felt her kuudere attitude definitely complimented Luke in many ways. Guy, Natalia, Jade, Asch, Ion, and yes... even Anise. All of them held there own as characters and each brought something special to the table with nobody felt out of place; which is something that is noteworthy in itself.

With a heavy emphasis on themes of existentialism and death, how could the 14 year old, angst filled me not be pulled in? It had a huge impact on me at that time in my life, and it continued to do so when I replayed it in recent years.

Of course, this game was my first encounter with anime tropes that I engaged myself, and was also my first Tales game in general. So my views on it may be a tad askew, but regardless, I do love that game above all else. Probably my first JRPG aside from Final Fantasy now that I think about it. Been wanting to replay it again recently but I just have not had the time among all the other games/VNs I have on the go.

Special mention goes to Jade.. cause that suave sarcasm with just the right pinch of sexiness. Plus he is the resident megane of the game... just... oh man. Love him to death.

hqdefault.jpg

Final fantasy X

I love the aspect of Racism,Religion,Believe and ofc Love.

For example Wakka.

His believe for his religion and hatred towards Al-bhed,changing around the game. And its really amazing how he become in the final.

And ofc if we r talkin about FFX thats mean Tidus X Yuna is the first thing we remember. One of the best couple in whole gaming world and my god...that scene in Macalania woods, such a beuty scene for old game.

When you're playing blitzball, you gotta think about blitz and nothing else. If you do, that's when you lose

The Walking Dead: The type of Interactive Story I wish there was more of. Crisp writing and dialogue, choices which affect your journey in emotion producing ways, high production values and a post-apocalyptic setting. MORE PLEASE!

Runner Up - Mass Effect 3: Bioware's games are all about the characters, usually. I loved to just walk around and talk to people over and over again until they ran out of things to say, started to repeat themselves, and was probably looking around for something to chuck at me. Combine this with fun shooter mechanics,  awesome world-building, and a DLC which involved

Tali poisoning herself and Grunt acting as a doorman

and this quickly became my favourite game of all time. 

Until Telltale revamped their Interactive Storytelling technique, that is.

oh man, I honestly Have a couple that just grasped my heart, but I do have a favorite one, and its ranked even higher than Skyrim or Fallout *gasp* I Know... Dragon Age:origins, this game had held its spot for so several years and so far none has gotten close to beating it.  It was Bioware in the prime days, everything else after that besides mass effect 2 was just down the drain. Presoanlly I would say it was bioware's last piece of golden art after the baldur's gate series. and as Rooke had said, bioware's games was about character and story development, and for me it was the choice making, how you would shape the events and what happened. It was a real piece of art...and to this day I am still sad that the dragon age story has been discontinued( DA:2 and DA:I had no story connection to the first game at all...)

I would 100% recommend it to anyone that has not played it yet. Great story(one so good that Bioware could not contuine it), great humor(Party banter), great game-play( the combat is actually challenging and you surely enjoy it) 

Fallout. Hands down. I just love the post apocalypse genera as well as the 20's. I think that the main reason as to why I love the post apocalypse is for the consistent theme: no matter how fucked up the world is, there is always a small glimmer of hope, you just need to fight for it.

Megaman Zero 1-4

I remember putting tons of hours into these four games for the DS when I was younger. Memorizing boss patterns and the fast paced platforming made for a fun experience Striking the bosses with the Z-saber and cutting them in half was also oddly satisfying. The boss designs were very nice and once the warning flashed across the screen I knew that shit was about go down.

Megaman Battle Network 1-6

My favorites ones are 3, 5 and 6 for the GBA. Collecting battle chips was great fun and each one could make or break the battle because of the different elements. The battle mechanics could get a bit repetitive at times since you could basically mash buttons if you got a powerful chip in your first turn. The 3 x 3 stage was simple but effective.The story was pretty bare bones but back then it was enough to satisfy me. I still go back sometimes and mess around with them. They still have a playful charm to them even after all these years, combined with the anime, these games were overall a great experience.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

I played this for the first on the PSP. The sidescrolling gameplay combined with Alucard's abilities made the experience lots of fun. It has a fantastic soundtrack and a lot of enemy variation. Being able to gradually fill the map of the castle took a long time but was very satisfying. The sense of progression is done well and by the end I felt as if the characters abilities had grown to a decent level. It's also one of the few games where I always notice something new with each playthrough.

The best game I've ever played is probably Planescape: Torment, but my personal favorite will always be Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven.

It had a HUGE open world for its time, tons of things to do, places to visit and monsters to kill. Sure, it barely even qualified as an RPG (no dialogue to speak of, no moral choices, linear main story) and monsters weren't even 3D, just horribly pixellated sprites. But man, it was ridiculously awesome and fun to play. The four huge castles in the game were gigantic and you could get lost in them easily. I struggle to think of any modern RPG with dungeons that expansive. Dragons and titans (ESPECIALLY THE FREAKING TITANS) were properly awe-inspiring. And yeah, the music was great. I still occasionally listen to the soundtrack.

Funniest thing is: I never finished it. I got lost in the Tomb of VARN and couldn't find a skull thingy that prevents magic damage in some areas... then I kind of drifted away from it, then my PC died. I got back into it a few times, but never managed to play long enough to get that far. :rolleyes:

Final Fantasy IX and Lunar 2: Eternal Blue

I pick these two because they were the first RPGs I really got into story-wise, I got very invested in the characters, loved the music and I enjoyed the settings.

Honorable mentions:

Metal Gear Solid/Twin Snakes

Enjoyed the sneaking aspect, the story was well paced and interesting and Twin Snakes gave the original a nice graphic improvement.

Xenogears

Enjoyed this in about the same way as my two picks, the only reason this one lost out is because the latter half had some rushed moments.

Huh, I actually got that on Steam when I purchased M&M X, which really wasn't all that great compared to the M&M I played, which was Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer. I should play VI at some point.

MM8 was the first dying gasp of New World Computing (the last one was MM9, but we don't talk about MM9), and it's been poorly received compared to 6 and 7. I'd say try MM7, in which they fixed some things that didn't make much sense in MM6 and streamlined it somewhat, but it's not as expansive as MM6. MM8 really was a poor man's MM7. Just a reshuffle of classes and races (hireable party and dragon party members were pretty much the only big new things) with nearly zero improvement.