Favorite Video Games of all Time (Excluding VNs)

solidbatman

1) Portal 2

This game was a triumph.

2) Super Mario 3 (GBA remake)

I practically grew up with this game. Best platformer ever made.

3) Insaniquarium

Vastly underrated game, nobody knows it- check it out on Steam. (It's a fish breeding simulator with aliens and inflation involved.)

4) System Shock 2

Better story and gameplay than both mainstream series it spawned: Dead Space and Bioshock.

5) Bioshock Infinite

Lame gameplay, but that story <3

6) Bioshock 

Would you kindly?

7) Terraria

I was hooked to this game, and it deserves it.

8) Binding Of Isaac

This game has Zelda ripoff dungeons, unique art style and some of the best dark humor I have ever seen.

9) Dead Space 2

Overall a good horror game. Cheesy storyline, great gameplay.

10) Slyder Adventures

Another game that only I know it seems, it's hard to buy it at a reliable website and FAR herder to pirate it. To explain it, you tilt the world around a circle character and avoid sinkholes, robots and the like.

EDIT: If VN's were in here, Virtue's Last Reward would soar to the top and 999 would get a spot somewhere.

Hmm, let's see...

1.Persona 4 (Haven't played Golden or Arena, so the original)

2. Tales of Phantasia

3. Persona 3 Portable

4. Guitar Hero 3 (Even if I don't hear about it much anymore, this game made up a decent chunk of my late childhood/early teens)

5.Pokemon Ruby

6. Guilty Gear X2  

7. South Park: the Stick of Truth (As a South Park fan, this game was a great experience)

8. Persona Portable (The first one)

9. Misao

10. Mad Father

As you can see, I haven't done a whole lot of gaming in the past few years. I blame visual novels and a lack of money.

I have a ridiculous number of "favorite games," so I'm sure I'll forget something good...

In no particular order:

1. Chrono Trigger

2. Paper Mario

3. Fire Emblem Awakening

4. Pokemon Emerald (Can't wait for the remakes!)

5. SMT: Strange Journey

6. Kingdom Hearts

7. Professor Layton and the Curious Village

8. Super Mario Galaxy

9. Dragon Quest IX

10. Okami

Hmm. This is difficult. Too many games to choose from. Pretty sure I'm gonna leave a few out, but I think mine would look something like this:

1.) Pokemon (Really, the entire series at this point, though I think Platinum is my favorite.)

2.) Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword (I can't pick between these two, they were both so much fun to play.)

3.) Bravely Default (Reminds me of the old Final Fantasy games, so damn good.)

4.) Persona 4/Golden 

5.) Persona 3/FES/P3P

6.) Final Fantasy XII/XIII

7.) ALL of the Fire Emblem series

8.) Dragon Age

9.) .hack//IMOQ

10.) The Legend of Dragoon

Seems more like I made a list of series instead. Oops.

Guest sakanaとkoeda
As you can see, I haven't done a whole lot of gaming in the past few years. I blame visual novels and a lack of money.

I'm in the same boat. I have to be more selective of what I play and that kinda ruins the experience. I think nowadays I'll spend more time researching games and waiting for price drops than actually playing them.

Guest sakanaとkoeda

I have a ridiculous number of "favorite games," so I'm sure I'll forget something good...

In no particular order:

3. Fire Emblem Awakening

I really liked Awakening, but the expensive DLC was a turn off. Also some of the conversations, which should have been unique were recycled for different pairings; others were kinda rushed. Oh and lunatic+ was just broken. 

Hmm. This is difficult. Too many games to choose from. Pretty sure I'm gonna leave a few out, but I think mine would look something like this:

3.) Bravely Default (Reminds me of the old Final Fantasy games, so damn good.)

6.) Final Fantasy XII/XIII

Seems more like I made a list of series instead. Oops.

I need to get around to bravely default~

FXIII started my fallout with Final Fantasy, but FFXII, that one I liked :)

I'm in the same boat. I have to be more selective of what I play and that kinda ruins the experience. I think nowadays I'll spend more time researching games and waiting for price drops than actually playing them.

Selling games really helps me with this.  If I'm lucky I can get 60% back on things I'm not crazy about and spend far less money.  Some things, however, can never be traded.  

Guest sakanaとkoeda

Selling games really helps me with this.  If I'm lucky I can get 60% back on things I'm not crazy about and spend far less money.  Some things, however, can never be traded.  

So true. I have a bit of a collection, but I've already parted with most of the non-stellar titles. What I still have is pretty much priceless junk to onlookers.

So true. I have a bit of a collection, but I've already parted with most of the non-stellar titles. What I still have is pretty much worthless priceless junk to onlookers( :MareWish::Kappa: << what are these???)  lol

If you are around one, I would recommend using The Exchange, or something similar.  They give decent money for rarer items. 

1. Grisaia no Kajitsu (will probably get replaced by the sequels, as they get translated)
  2. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (I'm a stealth bastard, okay?)
  3. Civilization V 
  4. Ratchet & Clank (am I allowed to say the first three? because I love the first three)
  5. Worms Armageddon

Did 10, cause why the hell not?

10. Persona 3

9. Skullgirls

8. Dragons Crown

7. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F

6. Far Cry 3
5. GTAIV
4. Persona 4

3. Fallout 3

2. Diablo 2

1. Hotline Miami

A lot of Persona 3 I see. Do you guys like 3 over 4?

I liked Persona 4. Persona 2 was my first Persona though. I just gravitated more towards Persona 4 because of the mystery aspects and the really awesome story. I was young when I played it and still kind of figuring out what I wanted in life. So It was cool seeing that same thing kind of happen with the people in P4; I could relate on some level.

Did 9, cause why the hell not?

9. Persona 3

8. Skullgirls

7. Dragons Crown

6. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F

5. Far Cry 3

4. GTAIV

3. Persona 4

2. Fallout 3

1. Hotline Miami

I liked Persona 4. Persona 2 was my first Persona though. I just gravitated more towards Persona 4 because of the mystery aspects and the really awesome story. I was young when I played it and still kind of figuring out what I wanted in life. So It was cool seeing that same thing kind of happen with the people in P4; I could relate on some level.

For me, Persona 3 was better than Persona 4, even though I played it last (4 then 2 then 3 for me).  I just liked the dark theme of 3 better than 4, despite the somewhat less favorable game mechanics. *cough marin karin cough*  I could actually argue that 2 has the best story though, despite how early it was made.  Also, for reference, when I say better, we're talking 9.98 instead of 9.93. XD

I really liked Awakening, but the expensive DLC was a turn off. Also some of the conversations, which should have been unique were recycled for different pairings; others were kinda rushed. Oh and lunatic+ was just broken. 

True, but on the other hand the majority of the paid DLC wasn't even worth buying to begin with, it's only really there for diehards. The extra classes + "final map" as DLC are really all that I found annoying.

I need to get around to bravely default~

FXIII started my fallout with Final Fantasy, but FFXII, that one I liked :)

Bravely Default is definitely worth the purchase, in my opinion. :D

FFXIII is.....Hmm. I was really on the fence about listing it, to be honest. I liked it for some of the characters and the graphics (Which, to me at the time, were GREAT), but I can EASILY see it's faults, some of which are rather glaring at times. Still haven't gotten around to beating XIII-2, or buying Lightning Returns. Kinda just wanna beat them to see how the story ends. XII was just fantastic in every sense of the word to me.

If you are looking for something portable and have a PSP or Vita, I suggest Growlanser IV (the port/remake of the ps1 game).  It is very high quality, from a series by Atlus (makers of Persona and the rest of the SMT series). 

It's on my "pick me up eventually" list.  Tends to be a little pricier from what I've seen in the stores.  Also, it seems to be one of the few non-SMT related Atlus games people think are good.

And while we're on the topic.  Let me recommend that people don't buy Conception II.  It was one of the few games where I actually felt like I threw money in the toilet.  

1) Xenogears (PS1)

Still is my number1 favorite even after I've played so many others growing up. I really liked the fighting system, characters, and complicated/weird storyline.. played it over about 4x.

2) Xenoblade (Wii)

I felt totally immersed in it and the world felt so huge to me. It was fun exploring and I enjoyed the fighting style, equipment change, and characters/story. I had over 100hours gameplay in it.. that's how addicted I was. I tried to do all sidequests, and kill all the rare monsters.

3) Dragon Age (I & Origin-PS3, II-PS3)

4) Fire Emblem (Genealogy of the Holy War -SNES, The Sword of Flame -GBA, Path of Radiance -Gamecube, Radiant Dawn-Wii, Awakening-3DS)

5) Suikoden (I-PS1, II-PS1, III-PS2, V-PS2)

6) Corpse Party (Blood Covered-PSP, Book of Shadows-PSP)

7) Persona (3 FES-PS2, 4-PS2)

8) Danganronpa (PSvita)

9) 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors (DS) & Zero's Escape: Virtues Last Reward (3DS)

10) Fatal Frame (I-PS2, II-PS2, III-PS2)

Honorable Mention -  Arc The Lad: Twilight of the Spirits (PS2)

This game seems to be quite overlooked, but I personally thought it was really awesome. I loved the tactical fighting style, and the characters made the story very enjoyable.

Ahh but I like so many more like the Star Ocean series, Ar Tonelico series, Tales series, Atelier series, Final Fantasy series, Legend of Heroes series, etc.. too many.  :wub:

1) Xenogears (PS1)

2) Xenoblade (Wii)

3) Dragon Age (I & Origin-PS3, II-PS3)

4) Fire Emblem (Genealogy of the Holy War -SNES, The Sword of Flame -GBA, Path of Radiance -Gamecube, Radiant Dawn-Wii, Awakening-3DS)

5) Suikoden (I-PS1, II-PS1, III-PS2, V-PS2)

6) Corpse Party (Blood Covered-PSP, Book of Shadows-PSP)

7) Persona (3 FES-PS2, 4-PS2)

8) Danganronpa (PSvita)

9) 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors (DS) & Zero's Escape: Virtues Last Reward (3DS)

10) Fatal Frame (I-PS2, II-PS2, III-PS2)

Ahh but I like so many more like the Star Ocean series, Ar Tonelico series, Tales series, Atelier series, Final Fantasy series, Legend of Heroes series, etc.. too many.  :wub:

no Shining Force Exa? 

d2b2464bff.gif

Lol, it's true I have the avatar but I actually haven't completed the game yet. xD

I just kind of dropped it for some reason, but not because I didn't like it. Probably got interested in others at the time. 

90c56fa7c1.gifwazzzat?? why?(actually me2 lol, because i spent to much time in the dungeon and forget to do the story and got bored, but i downloading it again)

90c56fa7c1.gifwazzzat?? why?(actually me2 lol, because i spent to much time in the dungeon and forget to do the story and got bored, but i downloading it again)

Exa~ctly, I think that's how I got burnt out on it too, because I spent too much time doing dungeon fights and exploring instead of going straight for the storyline. My Cyrille character is so overpowered now, all I do is run around with a firewall around me and all the monsters drop on contact... lol.

I think a few weeks ago, I tried continuing it, and the same thing happened again, haha. I get addicted to the monster smashing & exploring and then I get bored.. baad. Not to mention, I get sort of obsessed with equipment customizing... too many loots drop!  My perfectionism gets in the way of my gaming sometimes.

Exa~ctly, I think that's how I got burnt out on it too, because I spent too much time doing dungeon fights and exploring instead of going straight for the storyline. My Cyrille character is so overpowered now, all I do is run around with a firewall around me and all the monsters drop on contact... lol.

uwahhhh we have same playstyle....i used touma first...and tanky but i still got beaten. Then i tried Cyrille using firewall...and she become my main.

and I see you like Ar Tonelico too~~~~ hehehe its kinda rare to see Arto fan...cheers mate

10ac7e650b.jpg

uwahhhh we have same playstyle....i used touma first...and tanky but i still got beaten. Then i tried Cyrille using firewall...and she become my main.

and I see you like Ar Tonelico too~~~~ hehehe its kinda rare to see Arto fan...cheers mate

10ac7e650b.jpg

Seems like we do~, I used Touma with the tank & archer first.. but then I switched over to Cyrille and used the two little mages.

Which was your favorite Ar Tonelico? My favorite was the first one, and I liked Misha. It got me interested because it had something similar to a dating system to get closer to the girls, and also some funny/weird innuendos, lol. I like that kind of moe stuff though ;o  The one thing that bothered me a bit about the first game was that it almost had no interactions between the two girls like they didn't try to get to know eachother and become closer, so Ar Tonelico2 was better in that aspect. I never finished Ar Tonelico3 because, frankly did not like the battle system.. it was a bit boring to press a single button the whole time and wait for song charge.

Seems like we do~, I used Touma with the tank & archer first.. but then I switched over to Cyrille and used the two little mages.

Which was your favorite Ar Tonelico? My favorite was the first one, and I liked Misha. It got me interested because it had something similar to a dating system to get closer to the girls, and also some funny/weird innuendos, lol. I like that kind of moe stuff though ;o  The one thing that bothered me a bit about the first game was that it almost had no interactions between the two girls like they didn't try to get to know eachother and become closer, so Ar Tonelico2 was better in that aspect. I never finished Ar Tonelico3 because, frankly did not like the battle system.. it was a bit boring to press a single button the whole time and wait for song charge.

You see Arto 1 ,2 , 3 all different lol. Especially third one...the battle system is 180 degree different.

Hm..may fav is 2nd ofc, i really love the story and the protag( my fav ending is Jakuri ending ofc..Croix is so cute with her). and then first Arto. the third kinda....uhm..how to say this..weird?? but the story isnt that bad just not as good as its predecessor .

For my fav heroines Jakuri will be my first(because i just love her tsunkuu attitude and her flatness is just awesome...),Misha and then Tyria.

and that was the same reason why i finished Arto 3 asap....i just wanna know the story and endings.

I like Arto because it have 3 girls that we could chose kinda like vn, but after playin it a bit i totally love it. Their bgm,backstory,jokes,alchemy and pretty cool song magic really got me hooked up.

my fav song magic 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9SwveXfUoU